• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "New Forum" Discussion Thread

509 posts in this topic

How about new date definitions for Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc based on poll response?

I believe there might be a desire to at least break the modern section away from brand new comics...

Also, I think I might have read this somewhere but adding a "like/dislike" button with running counts for posts to avoid the obligatory "+1."

I can see some advantage in tweaking what's considered "modern" as far as the forum goes. It seems odd to me to have a hot book from 1994 and 2014 included in the same section. I'm not sure if people reading/collecting books from the last five years are doing the same for books published twenty years prior. I'd think it might be a somewhat different audience.

How about new date definitions for Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc based on poll response?

I believe there might be a desire to at least break the modern section away from brand new comics...

Also, I think I might have read this somewhere but adding a "like/dislike" button with running counts for posts to avoid the obligatory "+1."

I am by no means on the same level as RMA.

There are levels here and I honestly think what and how he posts is among the worst of the very worst on the boards.

Wow, even when apologizing you managed to get a few good jabs in. Classy.

You're entirely in the wrong here with no leg to stand on. As long as he's reasonably on topic and respectful towards other he post all he wants, even if someone doesn't like it.

And since you're an expert on 'levels' you probably know that you just stooped below the lowest of them when you tried to justify yourself by saying you were not as bad as the person you're antagonizing.

Wow.

That isn't entirely fair. You can't take my final comments (as over the top as they were) and then omit the balance of the conversations (with multiple people) that led up to it and the place blame solely on me as "having no leg to stand on." Particularly from the angle that they are "on topic." That is just a veiled way of justifying poor behavior as it better fits the context of the conversation, but definitely doesn't make it any less objectionable.

We don't need to argue (and I really don't want to), but there is certainly more context here than you allude to and it isn't if my frustration isn't well placed.

Now whether or not it was "classy" of me or not, I really wasn't justifying my behavior - I was simply drawing a comparison of levels. You can disagree and in some respects I see why, but that doesn't go to the extent you are alluding to.

Please take my ownership of overreacting for what it is and leave it at that.

The guy likes to debate. It's what turns his crank.

Some people like moderns, some people like to debate with large, parsed posts, some people read DCs. I think they're all a waste of time (especially reading the DCs IMO) but they are free to do so on this forum.

If you don't want to debate then just move on.

For every person that might not like someone's posting style, there are other people who feel the exact opposite and might enjoy it.

I don't even need to read what was said before. You don't have a leg to stand on.

I was right there with you until that crack about people who read DCs. :mad:

One thing I wish the forum here had, is how the new posts show up.

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Just a minor pet peeve. Anyways I like the forums here and enjoy the stories.

Big +1 to this.

Also a proper, easy to use Search function. :pullhair:

And a Search function for PMs. :cloud9:

I think this is an issue with your cookies, and is usually fixed by resetting them at this link with the expire button. (Note, that should log you out, so you will have to log back in)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mycookies

Arch, what about the same thing happening from multiple devices?

For example, I log in with my mobile device and read a few threads and then stop.

Then I finally sit down to get some real reading done and I fire up my laptop and all of the threads are now 'read' and the only threads that are unread are the ones that have had posts added to them since I left my mobile device and got onto my laptop.

Is there any way to fix this?

Another thing that happens is when you switch internet providers or simply log off and back on your internet signal all of the pages become 'read' as above.

Is their any way to anchor your cookies so that the pages don't refresh every time you log off and on?

That's because he's got his posts/page default set at something higher than the standard 10 per page in his preferences. A page link from a boardie using standard settings or a google search finds and links by defaults with url by page and then his preferences kick in when he clicks onto the page.

2c

Yup.

Nope.

-slym

:)

Ooh, what about an auto-size for pics? My homebrewing site, no matter how large the picture is, it is shrunk to fit on the screen and if you want to see it full-size, you have to click on the pic and it pops out.

Added as #27.

That's a good idea. Do you see that as just mobile support, or does it have application with monitor size as well? Is this a user preference for viewing, or would all pics posted be set at a small size?

Looks like that other site sets the maximum at 600 pixels in width, anything larger than that you have to "click out" to see full sized.

:)

-slym

Added as #28 & #29.

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Big +1 to this.

I think this is an issue with your cookies, and is usually fixed by resetting them at this link with the expire button. (Note, that should log you out, so you will have to log back in)

For example, I log in with my mobile device and read a few threads and then stop.

Then I finally sit down to get some real reading done and I fire up my laptop and all of the threads are now 'read' and the only threads that are unread are the ones that have had posts added to them since I left my mobile device and got onto my laptop.

Added as #30 (I don't think there's currently a solution for this...but I could be wrong).

Big +1 to this.

Added as #30 (I don't think there's currently a solution for this...but I could be wrong).

Since we're adding some unworkable "wish list" things to this list, let's bring back the star system.

:D

Big +1 to this.

Since we're adding some unworkable "wish list" things to this list, let's bring back the star system.

:D

54383.gif

I can see some advantage in tweaking what's considered "modern" as far as the forum goes. It seems odd to me to have a hot book from 1994 and 2014 included in the same section. I'm not sure if people reading/collecting books from the last five years are doing the same for books published twenty years prior. I'd think it might be a somewhat different audience.

I would love to see the Atom Age get its own forum, for books that aren't quite GA but also aren't quite SA

I would love to see the Atom Age get its own forum, for books that aren't quite GA but also aren't quite SA

Added as #32.

I've prepared an excel spreadsheet outlining my comprehensive Boards fix. First up will be a user pruning of epic proportions.

Based on post counts of 70000 and above? :wishluck:

I've prepared an excel spreadsheet outlining my comprehensive Boards fix. First up will be a user pruning of epic proportions.

Based on post word counts of 70000 and above? :wishluck:

:whistle:

Based on post counts of 70000 and above? :wishluck:

I'm all for a massive user pruning.

Who gets to hold the shears....?