• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jimmy Olsen

21 posts in this topic

There must be something to it, but what a male sex organ he was/possibly still is! Every cover depicted him screwing Superman in the rectum. So, why was he called Superman's "pal"? Lex Luthor looked like a saint compared to Olsen's antics. If I were Superman, I would have made a new crater in the moon with that nozzle.

Just curious what the attraction was is all. What is Olsen's problem?
I thought he was just a fun character. He's just a regular kid living on his own, not the most handsome, richest, or smartest guy, but he's got direct access to the most powerful hero in the world and even hangs out with him! He has the craziest adventures whether he's travelling through time, visiting outerspace, being turned into an animal, hob-nobbing with the elite and famous, etc. He had his own fan club and the stories were just so quirky they made for a fun read, and a nice change of pace from the more "serious" titles.

Plus, back then, the Big Three was the majority of what DC really had going on, so in order to maximize the number of related issues, they clearly maintained these companion books like B&B, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl/Adventure, etc.

There must be something to it, but what a male sex organ he was/possibly still is! Every cover depicted him screwing Superman in the rectum. So, why was he called Superman's "pal"? Lex Luthor looked like a saint compared to Olsen's antics. If I were Superman, I would have made a new crater in the moon with that nozzle.

Are you sure about this? hm

Are you sure about this? hm

I think he means "figuretively". lol

Superman's Frenemy, Jimmy Olsen? Try to look at the positive. There is a great forgiveness lesson here. A tested and true relationship. Unlike Batman and Robin, just based on kinks. Or maybe worse, Oliver Queen and Speedy, a power struggle.

I dunno, man. Issue after issue of getting hosed by my "pal", I think I'd find another person to choose as my friend. Something really codependent about that whole thing.

One of the notable things about Jack Kirby's run is that it may be the only time in the title's history when Superman and Jimmy actually behaved like pals.

Excellent point!

Jimmy as Man of Action was much preferable to Jimmy as Eternally Hapless Dolt...

Thankfully, comic books have become embraced by adults and not just kids anymore. It forced the writing to become more sophisticated. I must admit I liked Tales Of Suspense when it featured Iron Man and Captain America. The writing was a lot more adventurous and not as preposterous as DC's writing. Even as a kid, I felt vaguely insulted by the Olsen mag and don't get me started on Lois Lane. Or Streaky. Or Krypto. Or Super Monkey. Or Uncle marvel. Or Talking Tawney. I'm not always a fan of progress, but thank God (Or whatever Deity you choose to believe in) for the undergrounds, Len Wein, Denny O'Neil and the like. They saved us from:

"Yes, Robin. I've become a human fish".

Jimmy Olsen was the Screwy Squirrel of the DC Universe. If I were Superman, I would have taken the opportunity and tossed him into the anti-matter wave during the 1st Crisis.

"Here, Jimmy. Screw that thing over for awhile."

Thankfully, comic books have become embraced by adults and not just kids anymore. It forced the writing to become more sophisticated. I must admit I liked Tales Of Suspense when it featured Iron Man and Captain America. The writing was a lot more adventurous and not as preposterous as DC's writing. Even as a kid, I felt vaguely insulted by the Olsen mag and don't get me started on Lois Lane. Or Streaky. Or Krypto. Or Super Monkey. Or Uncle marvel. Or Talking Tawney. I'm not always a fan of progress, but thank God (Or whatever Deity you choose to believe in) for the undergrounds, Len Wein, Denny O'Neil and the like. They saved us from:

"Yes, Robin. I've become a human fish".

Jimmy Olsen was the Screwy Squirrel of the DC Universe. If I were Superman, I would have taken the opportunity and tossed him into the anti-matter wave during the 1st Crisis.

"Here, Jimmy. Screw that thing over for awhile."

Not meaning to quibble or sidetrack the criticism of the Jimmy Olsen Comic, but to your point of sophisticated writing, I think it takes a certain sophistication and creativity to write a kids comic or cartoon that will also appeal to adults. There's multiple examples from Archie, Peanuts, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Popeye, and Tex Avery that have huge crossover appeal in a variety of mediums that contain jokes and subtext that kids won't get, but adults hone in on. I'm not implying that even the best JO comics deserve accolades alongside Bob Montana, E.C. Segar etc., but they're worthy taken on face value as a fun, lighthearted(often absurd) take on the supporting cast in Superman's world.

This is true, but then we are talking about genre. When I read a Peanuts strip, it would be jarring to say the least to see Lucy pulling the football from Thanos. Conversely, it would be equally as jarring to see Linus fighting heroin dealers along side Green Lantern/Green Arrow. I would pick up an Archie book for a laugh and a hero book for some adventure. It's a mood set thing or a mind set I would be in before selecting whatever I was feeling like reading. It still is. Do I want to read "Maus" or do I want to see Little LuLu tripping on doll hair? OR do I want to see Little LuLu trapped in Birkenau tripping on doll hair?

I love Tex Avery specifically and there are some Avery Droopy cartoons that still cause me to roar with laughter. Very sophisticated. I never saw that in the Olsen books or the Lane books. I guess we have the benefit of hindsight or perhaps the curse of hindsight to be able to look back and mutter to ourselves:

"Man, those stories suck."

What is "sophistication"? Martin Pasko used to have long, eloquent, and severely critical letters printed in DC comics. Then he became a writer himself and wrote a story explaining why people didn't recognise Clark Kent as Superman in glasses, which was dumber than anything Mort Weisinger ever signed off on.

lol! Exactly. Never delved into the Lois series for that reason. Or Supergirl. Why would I? I'd have to explain the stack of Lois books to the other ten year old neighborhood boys and that wouldn't have bode well for me at all.

Thing is, the girls I knew weren't reading the Lois, Supergirl or Wonder Woman titles either. Who was buying them? Pervs?

In hindsight, maybe I should have been reading the Lois title at least. Maybe it would have shed a light on the female predilection for screwing with their men's heads later in life. Never considered they might have been a ready handbook into the adolescent female psyche. Guess it wouldn't have made a difference.