• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard appears to be cutting shows from their schedule

61 posts in this topic

Indianapolis was quietly removed from their main schedule page after a few weeks as a TBA placeholder, San Antonio was recently removed after sitting as TBA for roughly 10 months (and canceling the never scheduled 2015 show), and now it appears that San Jose is off the schedule too.

Wizard has taken a year off of cities and then come back in the past (see Atlanta), but with this level of tightening I'm wondering if they are changing tactics. Maybe they've realized, through tanking their revenue, that they may have overexpanded a bit.

So could this result in a leaner and perhaps better Wizard schedule? Might they listen to consumers on matters like tiered table/admission pricing (see Dale's recent comments in the Nashville thread)? Can they put on a good comic show in a city other than Chicago?

I am waiting for Wizard to expand into Canada, as they are already in partnership and doing annual con in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. :wishluck:

The China show was an epic disaster, and a 2016 version has not been scheduled.

Indianapolis was quietly removed from their main schedule page after a few weeks as a TBA placeholder, San Antonio was recently removed after sitting as TBA for roughly 10 months (and canceling the never scheduled 2015 show), and now it appears that San Jose is off the schedule too.

Wizard has taken a year off of cities and then come back in the past (see Atlanta), but with this level of tightening I'm wondering if they are changing tactics. Maybe they've realized, through tanking their revenue, that they may have overexpanded a bit.

So could this result in a leaner and perhaps better Wizard schedule? Might they listen to consumers on matters like tiered table/admission pricing (see Dale's recent comments in the Nashville thread)? Can they put on a good comic show in a city not named Chicago?

Chicago is still on the list. It has been there since 1972. Here is the history of Wizard World Chicago/Chicago Comicon.

I am waiting for Wizard to expand into Canada, as they are already in partnership and doing annual con in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. :wishluck:

They were in Toronto and left.

I think he meant that Chicago is their only successful show left.

I hope not. (tsk)

I did. Despite all their attempts to ruin it that is still my favorite buying show and con trip of the year. This year's show was excellent.

Cleveland is coming back. People here in Cleveland are so starved for entertainment in the winter the show was packed . . in a snow storm . with negative degrees outside.

That's because the city of Cleveland closes at like 5:00 on Sunday nights and 9:00 on Saturday nights. There's absolutely nothing to do except go to the Red Door... errrr... I probably shouldn't have said that.

That's because the city of Cleveland closes at like 5:00 on Sunday nights and 9:00 on Saturday nights. There's absolutely nothing to do except go to the Red Door... errrr... I probably shouldn't have said that.

The bowling alleys are open late - what more do you need?

Beer & strippers? And...well... pretty much anything except for a bowling alley. Maybe if I was 14 or 75...

Cleveland is coming back. People here in Cleveland are so starved for entertainment in the winter the show was packed . . in a snow storm . with negative degrees outside.

Cleveland seems to have been their best success on this year of expansion. Other than this show, and maybe Madison, I don't think they had any other real success stories at new shows.

Where are all funs Drew Carey had good times?

Where are all funs Drew Carey had good times?

(shrug)