• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All things Valiant.

133 posts in this topic

I just checked my reference and someone on the Valiantfans.com message board was talking about the 3 staple and 2 staple differences about 10 years ago. :grin:

hm

The member was "x-o matic" - who I presume had copies of both in hand when he was writing. hm

How many copies of the Turok #1 VVSS with the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS COA have turned up over the past 5 - 10 years? When I sold mine to another member on Greg's boards way back when it was the second one that I had heard of.

Did a complete VVSS Dr. Mirage #1 ever turn up?

I just checked my reference and someone on the Valiantfans.com message board was talking about the 3 staple and 2 staple differences about 10 years ago. :grin:

hm

Was either you or me!! :-)

How many copies of the Turok #1 VVSS with the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS COA have turned up over the past 5 - 10 years? When I sold mine to another member on Greg's boards way back when it was the second one that I had heard of.

Nope. As far as I know, there have only been two copies of the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate.

From what I can tell, the actual book that accompanies the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate is meaningless. lol

hm

Was either you or me!! :-)

Or maybe x-omatic! hm

There are indeed versions with two and 3 staples, I have owned many of both. There were generally problems off the press with the staple placement and bending, and the two staple versions, on average, are nicer to look at. IMHO.

I'm not sure where the story about the added third staple because of the insert came from, but I have assumed it to be true since the early 1990s. Ironically it is possible to have a three staple version and a "loose" coupon, just not nearly as likely as with the two staple version.

If you have a hankering for VH1, it might be worth your time to check out the my collection display thread on valiantfans.com. I put it together because I love them, not to show off, but other's should enjoy them as well.

Hopefully you don't have to sign up to view these:

http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29701

http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30784

Harbinger 1's up to 152 copies in 9.8.

+ 17 copies in the last 6 months.

Last sale was $1,130

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131614180864

It's not just Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8 that has had some recent highs, Solar #10 and Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat in 9.8 have also reached recent highs haven't they?

Yes.

Every time we discuss the big prices for 9.8s and I see the incredulous posts about the prices... (not directed at anyone in particular)

Please remember in the case of these books a 9.8 really means something. These books are hard to find IN-GRADE. If there were going to be thousands of these they would have been graded. Many of the pre-unity books have unique flaws and printing issues that despite sizeable print runs (compared to today's books) keep them more desirable in the highest grades.

Nope. As far as I know, there have only been two copies of the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate.

From what I can tell, the actual book that accompanies the Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate is meaningless. lol

This is the part where the un-initiated ask what that all means?

Valiant had its own "Valiant Validated Signature Series" (VVSS) in the mid-1990s, which would take between around 800 to 5,500 copies of some of the higher print run books and have them signed with an official Valiant witness.

vvssturok1.jpg

They came with a VVSS certificate:

vvssturok1cert.jpg

The certificate from Valiant was intended to make them more "official" than a lot of the signed books of the time which were from special signings at comic shops or made-for-tv-sales like QVC... those weren't official Valiant products.

There were about 12 or so books that were released as VVSS.

The Second Life of Dr. Mirage #1 was supposed to be a VVSS release, but it never happened.

However, the official VVSS certificate (COA) for a Dr. Mirage #1 was found accompanying a copy of the Turok #1 VVSS.

It was as if the Valiant worker pulled the wrong certificate to stick with the book.

Only two of those Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificates have ever been found... though it's conceivable there are more out there because there are thousands of VVSS books.

To date, it's just two... and one of those two Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificates was sliced almost in two, as if it had been meant for destruction... which is likely, since the VVSS book was never released.

The Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate (by itself) sold for a few hundred dollars, I believe.

Harbinger 1's up to 152 copies in 9.8.

+ 17 copies in the last 6 months.

Last sale was $1,130

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131614180864

It's not just Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8 that has had some recent highs, Solar #10 and Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat in 9.8 have also reached recent highs haven't they?

Yes.

Every time we discuss the big prices for 9.8s and I see the incredulous posts about the prices... (not directed at anyone in particular)

Please remember in the case of these books a 9.8 really means something. These books are hard to find IN-GRADE. If there were going to be thousands of these they would have been graded. Many of the pre-unity books have unique flaws and printing issues that despite sizeable print runs (compared to today's books) keep them more desirable in the highest grades.

Sorry if I cam across as "incredulous". I was going for more "surprised" than incredulous... (shrug)

Interesting. I hadn't heard of those before.

I guess I'll have to be content with my double-signed copy from the 1993 Deathmate Tour. At least the comic shop's still in business.

But my favorite from that day was a double-signed Armorines 0 Gold -- never uploaded a photo, but that's my only "pure" gold issue -- I won it for answering a trivia question from Bernard Chang -- name 6 members of HARD Corps.

But my favorite from that day was a double-signed Armorines 0 Gold -- never uploaded a photo, but that's my only "pure" gold issue -- I won it for answering a trivia question from Bernard Chang -- name 6 members of HARD Corps.

Now THAT is cool!

:applause:

You should take that photo.

:popcorn:

Valiant had its own "Valiant Validated Signature Series" (VVSS) in the mid-1990s, which would take between around 800 to 5,500 copies of some of the higher print run books and have them signed with an official Valiant witness.

vvssturok1.jpg

They came with a VVSS certificate:

vvssturok1cert.jpg

The certificate from Valiant was intended to make them more "official" than a lot of the signed books of the time which were from special signings at comic shops or made-for-tv-sales like QVC... those weren't official Valiant products.

There were about 12 or so books that were released as VVSS.

The Second Life of Dr. Mirage #1 was supposed to be a VVSS release, but it never happened.

However, the official VVSS certificate (COA) for a Dr. Mirage #1 was found accompanying a copy of the Turok #1 VVSS.

It was as if the Valiant worker pulled the wrong certificate to stick with the book.

Only two of those Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificates have ever been found... though it's conceivable there are more out there because there are thousands of VVSS books.

To date, it's just two... and one of those two Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificates was sliced almost in two, as if it had been meant for destruction... which is likely, since the VVSS book was never released.

The Dr. Mirage #1 VVSS certificate (by itself) sold for a few hundred dollars, I believe.

Very cool. This is why I started this thread. To kind of put stuff in one place, and learn about Valiant books. I wish it would get the sticky, as these books were a huge part of the later half of the copper age.

Edited by Dungeon 2.0

Very cool stuff. This is why I started this thread. To kind of put stuff in one place, and learn about Valiant books. I wish it would get the sticky, as these books were a huge part of the later half of the copper age.

There is so much cool Valiant stories and characters and marketing goodies that can be posted in here over time.

Even the Doctor Silk bookmark you only received by purchasing a hobby magazine as an insert.

Very cool stuff. This is why I started this thread. To kind of put stuff in one place, and learn about Valiant books. I wish it would get the sticky, as these books were a huge part of the later half of the copper age.

There is so much cool Valiant stories and characters and marketing goodies that can be posted in here over time.

Even the Doctor Silk bookmark you only received by purchasing a hobby magazine as an insert.

That's whata mean. I needs an edumacation in the Valiant arts. Like this pre-post- unity stuff I've heard about. I really just don't know anything about the company.

That's whata mean. I needs an edumacation in the Valiant arts. Like this pre-post- unity stuff I've heard about. I really just don't know anything about the company.

There is an entire thread devoted to non-comic Valiant ephemera on Valiantman's website (started, I believe, by the current CEO of Valiant, before he owned the rights to the characters).

There is an entire thread devoted to non-comic Valiant ephemera on Valiantman's website (started, I believe, by the current CEO of Valiant, before he owned the rights to the characters).

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1518

Interesting. I thought that more would have surfaced by now.

Another cool item I found at a LCS was a DF Q&W #0 or something like that which was the only copy I had seen at the time. There had to be a bunch of them out there.

Doctor Silk bookmark.

zjofhwul.jpg

My original A&A 0 Gold I received directly from Valiant.

6wJVlbNl.jpg

That thick mailer Valiant used to send Gold books out were nice. But the end results didn't always turn out so well at the final destination.

:(