• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tape pull grade drop?

11 posts in this topic

So...after experiencing my first tape pull (why it had to happen on what I'm guessing was an 8.5/9.0 adventure comics 300 instead of some abstract ghost rider from the 90's , I'll never know)....but I asked a couple guys in here what they thought and sight unseen they said I should post a pic and get solid advice. So, here it is....do I even bother sending to CGC now or just eat it as a lesson learned about using tape ?

Thanks..

IMG_1302_zpsi6gxo7rs.jpg

Nobody wants to fathom a guess ? I'm not worried about the rest of the book...assume it's an 8.5 to be safe ...what does this tape pull do to the grade..I loaded a close up so you can see the true damage. I still have the color attached to the tape and saved...i'm so tempted to put the tape back on but I don't know if CGC considers that worse . But it's just a piece of random tape , it's not like I'm securing a rip or a binding with it. But if the grade is now a 5.0/6.0 then CGC simply not practical , right?

First off, I think the idea about attaching the tape is a bad one. Supposedly, CGC is now viewing the flaw the tape is masking as a flaw. I had a much smaller tape pull on a book that only got a 6.5.

To be honest, I would not bother getting it graded. It just won't add any value as it will not sell for full FMV anyway. I cringe when I see that tape pull. I did it once, a major pull like this one, but it was on an issue of The Fly, not very valuable. I keep it as a reminder to be careful, not lazy.

Tape pulls are so easy to do. Sorry to see it happen on such a nice book. You're certainly not alone in feeling the frustration of a tape pull. I'm sure it's happened to most of us, though I know that doesn't make it feel any better :)

It's still a nice comic, but if you're anything like me, you'll never appreciate the book as much now as you would have. Looking at it serves to always be a reminder, but at the expense of never enjoying it for the nice (albeit lower grade) book that it is. Hopefully you can get past that, but I'm not sure I could.

If it makes you feel any better, I was the original owner of an Incredible Hulk #1 (thru my Dad's collection), and decided to safely secure it in a fireproof safe. Turns out the retardant in the safe caused the staples to rust. I could never get over my stupid error and couldn't even look at the book anymore without thinking of how I ruined it. I sold it and spent the proceeds on some other nice books, but it still hurts :)

Well...you made me feel better :) . The good thing is that it could have been a huge book like a Hulk 1 or AMS 1 so for that I am grateful. But all is relative and I can't afford a hulk 1 or AMS 1 so when that book came in I didn't have it 2 mins from fed ex to my kitchen counter and i did this upon initial inspection. I was so furious for my impatience in just folding the tape back instead of cutting it off that I just threw the book in a box and forgot about it until this summer when I went through every book one at a time . It haunts me , but I'll sleep better knowing it wasn't a Hulk 1 ...yours was a tough story brother..mine seems whiny now :)