• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty new to selling comics on ebay but how come....

30 posts in this topic

I am pretty new to selling comics on ebay but have sold a few in the past. I sold a few raw issues of edge of spider-verse 2 that I labeled VF-NM- and later heard back from the buyer they got a cgc 9.8 or 9.9(once) and that I graded on the low side. They were happy and what not and left great feedback. Fast forward months later and I list a few silver age spider-man comics that mostly key issues and put it up at $xxx amount with best offer option. I expect to get some offers and take it from there. Well I get an offer that is literally just over $100. The comics I have for sale is a coverless amazing 1, amazing annual 1, and amazing 5 all graded. So why such a low offer? Is this the normal?

I am pretty new to selling comics on ebay but have sold a few in the past. I sold a few raw issues of edge of spider-verse 2 that I labeled VF-NM- and later heard back from the buyer they got a cgc 9.8 or 9.9(once) and that I graded on the low side. They were happy and what not and left great feedback. Fast forward months later and I list a few silver age spider-man comics that mostly key issues and put it up at $xxx amount with best offer option. I expect to get some offers and take it from there. Well I get an offer that is literally just over $100. The comics I have for sale is a coverless amazing 1, amazing annual 1, and amazing 5 all graded. So why such a low offer? Is this the normal?

Someone bought a raw book off eBay from you. Had the book graded and it came back a 9.9, then went on to message you and rub it in your face? How rude.

No they weren't rubbing it in and that wasn't the point I was trying to make. That buyer was cool and left positive feedback which I have 100% feedback in 98 sales on ebay. My point was I listed some old amazing for sale in a lot with a best offer option and the person offers me $150 or $175 for a lot that is well beyond that in value. So is this norm on ebay? Any other sites better to list on?

So why such a low offer? Is this the normal?

Not at all uncommon to receive offensively lowball offers. I guess they've got to be in it to win it.

Comes down to how you want to respond... Some will ignore, some will block, some will counter and some will accept. Just comes down to how you want to roll...

There's an "auto-decline" setting. It is your friend. I suggest the following auto-decline message:

"I set the auto-decline limit so low that in order for you to receive this message you must be the cheapest on the planet! Congratulations!

Thanks guys! I just needed to vent I guess and needed some of the suggestions. Most of the lot are graded but not by CGC so I don't want to start any controversy here, but being I PREFER CGC and getting rid of the last of my "other" graded slabs to fund my CGC/raw key collecting habits, and to help raise a bit more money for my folks who are still going through alot, I figured I'd list them at a price I'd love to get but with a best offer option so the buyer and I could agree on a more fair price.

Well, even if they were all graded by CGC, your asking price is almost double FMV. You're bound to get lowballs anyway, but with an asking price that high many people won't even bother making an offer. Not sure why you wanted to group these as a lot either.

Not sure how the first part fits into your question but sorry about your selling a EOSV 2 CGC 9.9 for VF/NM prices :o I think your low offer is caused by your grouping book into one auction. It stinks of someone who doesn't know the value of the books and may just take anything if someone asks. Am I reading it right your set included a graded coverless ASM 1, ASM Annual 1 and ASM 5? The ASM 1 coverless looks to be a few hundred dollars all by itself so it would do better by itself. The #5 is $75/$100 coverless as long as its in nice shape.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a coverless , graded AS annual #1,

its hardly even a flipper candidate (:

It's not coverless, it's a CGC 1.0 with a split and detached cover. Last GPA sale of a 1.0 was $130 last December. There's always a market for low-grade early keys.

So asking double FMV and then getting upset about getting a low ball offer.

Well, the asking price may be way high but an offer of $100, around 1/10th of FMV is beyond lowball. The ASM #1 alone would go for hundreds more.

There's an "auto-decline" setting. It is your friend. I suggest the following auto-decline message:

"I set the auto-decline limit so low that in order for you to receive this message you must be the cheapest on the planet! Congratulations!

I use the auto decline and wish I'd thought of this. Genius ! :applause:

So asking double FMV and then getting upset about getting a low ball offer.

Well, the asking price may be way high but an offer of $100, around 1/10th of FMV is beyond lowball. The ASM #1 alone would go for hundreds more.

Sounds like two unreasonable amounts. I'm not sure it matters (at least to me) which one is more unreasonable.

With an automated system, don't take offense. Some people are using a low bid to open a negotiation and are looking for some back and forth - just starting at an aggressively low price. If it's lower than is worth your time, just ignore it and that's ok. If you want to haggle, you may end up making an extra sale or two with reasonable people. But, it's not a personal thing and I don't think most of those people are trying to insult the books - they either can't afford them and are hoping for a miracle, or they're trying to negotiate.