• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have Mylites2 always been made from Mylar type D?

10 posts in this topic

I cant find an answer to this using the search facility.

I have seen several different packagings for these, some seem to state Mylar Type D and others do not. E Gerbers website states that currently all Mylites are made from Mylar type D.

The reason I am wondering is because the packaging on the ones I purchased a while back do not actually specify, and as I have some out on display I would just like to know, as the type D is supposed to have some UV filtering properties.

I know on the back of the packaging it does mention protection from UV fading, but even so, it still doesn't specify the type.

I have just attached some examples to show why I was a little confused.

image.jpg image.jpg

If you don't get an answer to this you might want to try asking them on ebay. They are very quick to respond. I just started using them a few months ago and they helped me with a few questions I had myself..

Their user name on ebay is ready_set_collect

I hope that helps.

Best

Dale

If you don't get an answer to this you might want to try asking them on ebay. They are very quick to respond. I just started using them a few months ago and they helped me with a few questions I had myself..

Their user name on ebay is ready_set_collect

I hope that helps.

Best

Dale

Yeah, just a distributor, not e gerber.

Ok, through online investigation I discovered the following. You may already know, but for those who don't. To start, Mylar is not a product in itself, it's just DuPonts trademarked name for the type of polyester film they created from Polyethylene Terephthalate.

Mylar

Manufactured by DuPont, but was discontinued. Mylar D was the Archival standard.

Melinex

Produced by a company which was bought out by DuPont, Melinex is still produced, Melinex 516 is the equivalent of the now discontinued Mylar D.

Skyrol

Manufactured by SKC, Skyrol SH72S is the Melinex 516 equivalent.

E Gerber were very short with their answers, and didn't provide much information. However, even though on the E Gerber website, they specify that all their product are created from Mylar D, they advised me that they actually use SKC's Skyrol SH72 (Could of possibly meant SH72S), they also advised that all Mylar type products provide some sort of UV protection, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

E Gerber were very short with their answers, and didn't provide much information. However, even though on the E Gerber website, they specify that all their product are created from Mylar D, they advised me that they actually use SKC's Skyrol SH72 (Could of possibly meant SH72S), they also advised that all Mylar type products provide some sort of UV protection, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Any email with more than 3 words in it from gerber should be considered a book length novel.

So, don't take it personally. I didn't expect him to be so forthcoming about their current supplier since it is a fairly competitive market. But they haven't used D for years.

Wall books in regular poly bags fade pretty quick under fluorescent light compared to Mylar according to dealers I have spoken with.

I think Dupont discontinued Mylar D, and it is no longer manufactured.

Here is a blurb I found about it, from another company that produces Mylar pouches for various things. It may be helpful.

DuPont has discontinued production of Mylar D. We are now producing pouches made from Melinex 516, Melinex 456, or SKC type SH72S. These films are all listed by The Library of Congress as equivalent archival-grade materials. These films are identical in appearance, chemical structure, and physical properties.

@ICS Thanks for the reply, nothing I disply is of any massive value, around £100 tops, but there are some comics I like to hang due to the art, when I read comments online suggesting Mylar D for helping UV protection, I thought I would look into it, but it wasn't as straight forward as it seemed.

@Flatliner1313 Cheers for that, it seems similar to what I found, it just gets confusing because many places are still advertising products as Mylar D when clearly they can't be, maybe its just because they are basically the same product, and Mylar D is better known to the public.