• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC Experience

2 posts in this topic

Just returned to Miami from another fun time at NYCC. I've never missed the show -- which was easy in the past because I lived on the Upper West Side and could just hop on the subway to get there. I was glad to get the opportunity to cover it once again (I'm a TV producer by trade).

For me, the OA selection at NYCC has always been better than SDCC, and this year was no different. I saw TONS of fantastic art -- most of which were way out of my financial reach -- but man, there were some treasures on display.

As usual, Bechara's booth was loaded with awesome art. He had several portfolios loaded with Kirby Silver Age marvel art ... and his Silver Age DC page stash was something else. I spent a solid hour looking through beauty after beauty, most of which didn't have prices on them .

:o

I took a few pix but haven't posted them anywhere - except for This Pic where I saw Darwyn Cooke visiting Bechara's booth and checking out the Kirby art.

Aside from a beautiful Twice-Up Batman & Robin splash page, I loved seeing the cover to WHAT IF #1 & a Silver Age Teen Titans cover. Obviously crazy expensive and out of my range at the moment, but it was still nice seeing them in person.

I only wish his customer service skills matched his inventory. Any time I visit his booth at any convention, he seems to annoyed by my questions. I don't know, call me crazy, but common courtesy would seem to be mandatory for someone looking to sell stuff. Still, he didn't seem to be hurting at the show.

Mike Burkey had a ton of great stuff as well, including Romita's pencil art for Spectacular Spider-Man #2. That is AMAZING! I always enjoy catching up with Mike, who I've been dealing with for years and who has always been helpful to me.

My one pickup was a bronze age Robin half-splash that I got from Will Gabri-El at what I felt was a great deal. (I'll post it on CAF soon). BTW, that twice-up Flash #146 Silver Age cover is even nicer in person! Will is another good egg who I enjoy talking to and getting insight about this hobby, since he knows just about everyone.