• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Grading Questions

7 posts in this topic

Thanks to all who take the time to read and respond. I imagine this may be pretty basic stuff for most.

I am trying to get better at grading. So I have been reading up, watching video guides and have purchased the 2015 Overstreet grading guide. The grading guide has been a big help but Im still having problems locking down a grade in some cases.

I imagine a lot of you here will be using the guide or are familiar with the chart used within. So I am looking for advice on how its best used. For example

there is a modern comic and the only damage is a 1/2" staple tear. The guide calls this moderate damage. Flicking through the guide to find when a moderate staple tear is allowed. The guide shows this as being allowed on a 4.0 and no higher.

Alternatively moderate damage equates to 4-8 defects. Checking this against the chart this book could be a NM-(4 defects) down to a VF-(8 defects).

The same occurs with soiling.

The guide says the only soiling allowed on books 7 and up is foxing. So if I have a modern book with 1/2" dirt mark on the cover and no other defects can it only be a 6.5 at best or do I use the chart and it again becomes NM-(4 defects) down to a VF-(8 defects). As again the guide rates this as moderate damage.

If the listed defects are the only ones on the comics how would you grade these comics?

I hope the above is clear.

Thanks for replying Rob.

The chart can be seen here

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/316059-indys-comic-grading-guide.html

Its in the 1st post. NM is too high for a book with a 1/2" defect but does 4.0 not feel too low for an otherwise perfect comic?

Perhaps my hypothetical comic with only this defect is pretty rare as it is likely a comic with this damage would probably have more anyway.

Thanks for replying Rob.

The chart can be seen here

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/316059-indys-comic-grading-guide.html

Its in the 1st post. NM is too high for a book with a 1/2" defect but does 4.0 not feel too low for an otherwise perfect comic?

Perhaps my hypothetical comic with only this defect is pretty rare as it is likely a comic with this damage would probably have more anyway.

Not really. It's not exactly the same thing, but I have a perfect copy of Daredevil #9 from the White Mountain pedigree collection that has a 1/2 inch piece out of the front cover that's in a CGC 4.0 holder. What you're describing would be rare, but serious damage is serious damage and can downgrade an otherwise perfect book.

Why not post a scan on the Spare a Grade forum and ask for comments? That's a good way to get some tips. Caveat: the grading on there tends to be on the low side, but the commentary is often helpful.

Another good thing to do is set up a free account at ha.com and use their big scans of archived sales to hone your grading.

Thanks for the reply Ajd. I have been checking the Spare a grade section and getting my hands on as big a range as I can of CGC books for reference. I will get signed up for ha.com too.

The idea that "some damage could be allowed, if others are not present" was giving me some headaches and was something I needed clarified. I just need more experience and there is only 1 way to get that.

Thanks again for the info.