• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pursuit of value (on 2nd prints, alternate prints, etc)

29 posts in this topic

except for the third print of hulk 377 or whatever it is

Is there really a big supply of third prints vs. the first printing? I doubt it.

my first thought was that since 377 is worth about 20 cents, yeah, the value of those third print sales may dwarf it, but it seems that now even the regular editionof 377 in nice enough shape raw can sell for a bit...

unless it is signed by dale keown, then it is worth a penny apparently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-377-Green-Cover-Dale-Keown-Signed-in-Gold-Marvel-Comics-/141782358523?hash=item2102e319fb:g:Da8AAOSwQTVWAelV

Yeah, I get what you are saying. There's a lot of that - back in the day, if you had the Whitman version of a comic, you kept that book on your wantlist, because you didn't have the "real" one. Now they are listed in Overstreet at a premium. Same thing for newsstand vs. direct, except for a few exceptions like Spider-Man #1, nobody treated them as "variants", just the same book distributed differently.

Yah, I think of books with hard to find 2nd prints, where I feel like the registry helped push up the value. But then things like modern speculation have started a new era, and seem to have gone bonkers. People just quote comicchron values, and talk about how amazing the cover is, and that they want to get it tattoo'd on their baby's forehead.

Mean while, the 1st print they only have one of is $20. But they bought 50 2nd prints sitting unsold for months at $1 a piece, and then trigger an ebay rush on the boards. Which quickly runs ebay dry, and then the prices rise. Everyone now agrees its justified because ebay prices have moved, and those late to the show ends up paying $50 a book. False demand has been created for a more "scarce" book (and really at this point, its true demand, just manufactured).

Where as in reality, the books had been sitting unsold since they were printed. The board triggered the ebay rush. Afterwards, everyone who has over paid, just holds, so the price may dip but generally remains elevated. The original pump and dumpers have unloaded and talk about maybe having sold to soon, while the "strong hand, come late, over payers" start a "my copy of 'Crud #1' 17th printing, appreciation thread"...

obviously I am adding some color commentary, but there is definitely SOMETHING going on in this regard.

Is there really a big supply of third prints vs. the first printing? I doubt it.

my first thought was that since 377 is worth about 20 cents, yeah, the value of those third print sales may dwarf it, but it seems that now even the regular editionof 377 in nice enough shape raw can sell for a bit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-377-Green-Cover-Dale-Keown-Signed-in-Gold-Marvel-Comics-/141782358523?hash=item2102e319fb:g:Da8AAOSwQTVWAelV

green label is the speculator/flippers kiss of death.

Funny!

Second prints are essentially reprints and should be considered as such. They're popular these days because of the variant fetish that's sweeping the industry. You certainly don't see preference for later printings among book collectors.

Funny!

Second prints are essentially reprints and should be considered as such. They're popular these days because of the variant fetish that's sweeping the industry. You certainly don't see preference for later printings among book collectors.

The logic behind book printings was practically the opposite of comic printings for decades, where

1 a small run of first print books were initially made

2. gauge the market acceptance

3. print butt load of more books if it is a hit

Comics followed the:

1. Print buttload of first print comic even if you have to pulp half of them

2. Print more only if you have to and only as many as necessary

Thus, First Print books that are worth significantly more than later printings are generally a far smaller proportion of the total copies extant compared to comics where the numbers are usually inverted.

green label is the speculator/flippers kiss of death.

that copy was never going anywhere near a slab signature or not

agreed, just saying, the kind of people who want to pay a lot of money for a third print, are going to want it in as high grade as possible, and likely to sub as well.

low grade, or green labels, either (and especially both) will show a books true value.

A 35 cent variant Star Wars still has some value, even if its grade isnt high, or if it would come back green label. The best smell test for "value added" or speculation, is whether a book has value across all grade ranges and in all forms.

That's most obviously true in the golden age mega keys, where even pieces of them cost a fortune.

i linked to the first print. the third print signed by keown probably would have done really well.

frankly, i always thought a good looking signature on a low value book like the 1st print here would generally be a bonus value-wise, even if uncerifued. who is going to forge the sig to make it a $3 book?