• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab it or keep it raw? That is the question?

Slab it or sell it raw??  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Slab it or sell it raw??

31 posts in this topic

And so is this why CGC is backed up 4 months?

I'd guess it's a big part of it. Based on talking to CGC reps it's the modern submissions that are swamping them. Everyone is grading every high grade book in the hopes of getting $80 for the 9.8s rather then blowing them out for $10 or less. I'd also guess the unslabbing, pressing and reslabbing of a mountain of books is also to blame.

CGC just needs to open a 2nd office, here in Oregon, within driving distance from my house on the west side. :baiting:

But, for this thread, I'd say slab it, along with many others you are on the fence about (if possible). You'll save $ on shipping costs there and back and if you sub enough that meager $40 profit can turn into $40 x 5 books, so I'd take the $200 profit and be happy with that. Of course, if time isn't an issue (which it always is with me) then save a little more dough and do non-fast track, aka Turtle Track.

Jerome

And so is this why CGC is backed up 4 months?

I'd guess it's a big part of it. Based on talking to CGC reps it's the modern submissions that are swamping them. Everyone is grading every high grade book in the hopes of getting $80 for the 9.8s rather then blowing them out for $10 or less. I'd also guess the unslabbing, pressing and reslabbing of a mountain of books is also to blame.

Therein lies the answer to your original question, I think.

I would have the "I'm not in business to make you money" button.

Grading decisions are based on cost of inventory, grading fees, shipping fees, time and your desired profit margin.

Not sure why you need board members to answer that question for you.

You sound like you would be a ball of fun at a dinner party. If I posted scans of a book and asked you to decide if I should send it in I would understand your hesitation to answer. It's just a poll to see what people would typically do or think in a certain situation involving comic books which is pretty much what half the boards is about.

lol Bob… :foryou:

Why would CGC want to speed up modern turnaround times when this is the collector mindset?

"I just can't do Slow Track anymore. 4-months is a loonnngggg time to wait to save ten bucks"

Fast tracks are more profitable for the same amount of work.

True, but at Fast Track prices I'm much pickier about what I get graded.

almost have to look at this as submitting MANY books - not just one -

also have to include getting lower than 9.6 as a possibility - always some chance you missed something or handling issues. I am ignoring chasing 9.9 or 10 - as they are so rare....

threw in some estimates - included 33 for fast track modern and quickpress.....

slab%20no%20slab.jpg

So - long term with a 50% shot at 9.8 --- you are getting about a 50% return on that $33. That's not bad - but does assume pretty low market variation while the books are being graded.

Note that this does not including shipping (or invoice fess) - but combining can keep that lower.

If you have a good churning business - where you can always keep books in the system and are maintaining cash flow - then it looks like slabbing these books is a good thing. Also note that the numbers start to look better if you can influence the %hit more. I included a press - but I do not know if 1C did that in his 50/50 grade estimate. I would think that long term, someone experienced with the CGC style would be able to get better numbers - especially with a press by the pros.

If you have a lower inventory and would be "waiting around" for the books to sell - then the cash on hand would probably be more valuable to you.