• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Sketch Cover (AKA My new Addiction)

4 posts in this topic

Mike Zeck Sketch

Greetings and Salutations Fellow Comic Book Enthusiasts!

I finally did it! I commissioned a sketch cover by one of my favorite artists from my early years of collecting Mike Zeck! So when I heard he was coming to the Phoenix Comic Con this last Summer 2015 I started hunting for gems in my collection to send off for Sig Series. The timing of my search happened to co-inside with the Launching of Secret Wars. Now I must tell you that being an old school collector these new-fangled sketch covers were something new and if I must say a bit alien to me. I remember saying to myself a couple of years ago that I just don't get the idea of a sketch cover. Why have someone draw all over a perfectly good comic when there are all sorts of other media that can be used? Now it may have been related to the junky sketches I saw here and there that were not very impressive but that is an entirely different issue.

Well I snapped up a copy of the Secret Wars and figured I would give it a try. All I can say was "WOW" when I watched the consummate Professional Zeck at work. He transformed this meager little blank page into a better than I would have ever dreamed Sketch of Wolverine! I could not have been more pleased with the results and when he finally handed it to me I started to well up a bit! Now I fully understand the transformational properties of the Sketch cover. I have a couple of other Sketch covers that have been done since and I hope to share some more in the near future. I know I am new to the boards but collecting Comic Books, Art, Toys, among other things certainly is not. Until Next time!

See more journals by aadh2uggkeq.jpg

OK. So the picture did not upload correctly or I am doing something wrong. Since I am new here I must do some figuring out of this and I will update as soon as I can. Such a bummer. Stay tuned!

That looks awesome! Thanks for writing the journal and sharing such a cool sketch. I didn't realize Mike was at Phoenix Con or I might have hunted down a book or two for him to sign. Look forward to seeing more journals from you!

Thanks Surfer! Mr. Zeck was so easy going and fun to watch doing his work. There were all sorts of books that strolled in to get signatures. He was making the rounds for the Cons due to a new book he was promoting. I can only hope he comes out again. I would love another sketch. Here is one of my Zeck SS that just came back too.

2ijp0f8.jpg