• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Spidey Prices Heading Back Up?

31 posts in this topic

I was looking at the current Heritage Auction and noticed something. They have an ASM #3 in 3.5 for sale (Lot #3040). It is currently priced at:

$390 + BP = $448.50

I, personally, bought a copy of this book in the December Auction (Lot #5768), priced at:

$529 (with BP) - CGC 6.5

There was another one sold in that auction (Lot #5767):

$1380 (with BP) - CGC 8.0

Last month there was one sold (Lot #17048):

$437 (with BP) - CGC 3.5

I didn't check to see if this was the same book currently up, but I doubt it since you have to consign books way far ahead for these Signature Auctions.

My question is, what's up with the current price? Is this book particularly hot? Did I get a fabulous deal at $529 for a 6.5? It may have had something to do with there being an 8.0 for sale in the same auction. But I don't know.

Has anyone else looked at other Spideys? The ASM #1 9.6 doesn't really count because it's absurdly rare and one of those uber-key books. But ASM #3 can't be that important. It seems to guide for only about 20 - 30% of ASM #1. And it's probably more common as well.

Any thoughts? Should I be selling my early ASMs now or wait for the next movie?

Since those other auctions ended, Doc Ock has been revealed as the villain in the Spidey 2 movie. That would explain it!

Your 6.5 was a fairly good deal. smile.gif Going price on eBay is more like $650.

The 3.5 for $437 was kind of high. Would expect more like $325 to $350. It still isn't that far from December, so I don't know if I would credit this higher price to movie hype, or just a random market fluctuation - somebody really wanted the book.

On these older, valuable books the price/condition curve for books less than 7.0 is not as steep as newer books. There is still a demand for these books even in very low grade (I would appreciate an ASM #3 in 3.5! ooo.gif ) So you might find a book at $600 at 6.5 that still brings a respectable $225 at 2.0 or even $120 at 1.0. On newer books the price drop is much steeper. $600 at 6.5 might drop to $75 (or even be basically worthless) at 2.0.

Spidey books in general have seen a price drop since last year and are not really 'on the up'.

Books fueled by upcoming movie speculation like ASM # 3 & #31 are seeing some heat though.

I haven't seen a huge price drop in anything other then the post 104 issues, at most maybe a 1/4 price drop. Which is probably warranted since they have started showing up regularly in really high grade.

Brian

asm 31 just finished at like $1200 or so. last on on heritage in 9.4 went slightly over $1000. so it went from 5x guide to about 6x guide in a few months (different book however). Maybe not the best cover but a tough one in high grade imo.

asm 31 just finished at like $1200 or so

I still kick myself for not buying that 9.4 oww on Cedar Chest Comics' website (back in '01 or last year) for $800 (or thereabouts)...he who hesitates is lost!!

Gene

Do we know if Kirsten Dunst will be back as MJ in the next movie?

She sure will. All the main cast members from the first movie (except Uncle Ben & Gobby as they died shocked.gif ) are signed up for two more movies.