• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's HELLFIRE CLUB TV show by Fox

12 posts in this topic

Marvel and X-Men's Bryan Singer developing Hellfire Club TV series at Fox

2mfQE1E.jpg

Tentatively titled Hellfire, the series would be set in the late 1960s and follow a young special agent who learns a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires (aka the Hellfire Club) to take over the world. As fans are likely well aware, the Hellfire Club is a major piece of the X-Men comic lore, and featured prominently in X-Men: First Class.

The proposed televisions series would be produced by Fox’s X-Men guru Bryan Singer (along with some of Marvel's TV team) and would serve as a co-production between Fox Television and Marvel Television, with 20th Century Fox handling the physical production. Fox Broadcasting’s President David Madden noted the series would feature “powerful and dynamic characters” that are “complicated and larger than life.” He went on to say the story they’ve conceived would also explore one of the “most explosive eras in recent history.”

“HELLFIRE is a unique opportunity to be able to go deeper with some of these extraordinary characters, but to also dramatize new characters and give TV viewers a chance to experience this expanded world in an explosive way that everyone will be talking about,” commented Jonathan Davis, President, Creative Affairs, 20th Century Fox Television. “The action at the center of HELLFIRE will be dynamic and will satisfy the rabid fans, but that said, newcomers will surely be addicted too!”

Action/Funnybook movies set in the 60's haven't done so well lately, other than Mad Men (a serious drama), I see a similiar pattern for the small screen as well. My 2c

This show may end up being the Happy Days of comic books. Though that doesn't mean I am hunting for a new fail reference like 'jumped the shark'.

:ohnoez:

Yeah, I was only commenting on how fickle younger audiences are around period pieces. We're talking heroes and villians with no cell phones, the height of the Cold War, no ATMs, no instagram, or social networks, when you wanted money you had to go the bank and fill out a slip (which you still can do), no debit cards. It's just a lot of running around. That would sound too exhausting to this generation and I don't think they would be able to connect with the action. I still haven't met anyone outside of here who talks about Agent Carter even. But, I figure ABC 's parent company just runs a lot of these things as product placements for their movie's mythology for those who want to take the journey at limited cost.

Fox's 'X-Men' Spinoff Showrunners Exit to Reboot '24'

Writers Evan Katz and Manny Coto, who co-created the drama, are exiting, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Also out are Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, who came up the the story for the drama alongside Katz and Coto and were set to pen the -script. A search is under way for a new writer.

The changes come as Hellfire is on a slower development track, insiders say. Hellfire, which previously was considered a live-action X-Men, follows a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires — known as "The Hellfire Club" — to take over the world.

The change at the top should not worry diehard fans of the X-Men franchise. Sources say Fox remains committed to Hellfire and wants to get it completely right as the X-Men franchise remains a valuable asset for the company. Should Hellfire go to series and the network renew Batman prequel Gotham, the network would have dramas from both comic book powerhouses DC Comics and Marvel — a first for a broadcast network and something insiders would love to see on their schedule.

X-MEN: Bryan Singer Discusses Upcoming Hellfire & Legion TV Shows

The X-Men franchise has been curiously absent from the small screen, perhaps due to behind-the-scenes rights issues that exist between Marvel and Fox. That is set to change with Hellfire and Legion, two upcoming X-Men TV shows. The two shows are headed for different networks, with Hellfire to appear on FOX and Legion to appear on its sibling network FX, but both of them revolve around characters originating from the X-Men comics.

Besides their link to the X-Men franchise, the two shows have another thing in common: director Bryan Singer will serve as executive producer on both. Recently, Singer was asked about what the two shows might add to the X-Men universe onscreen. “I think the underbelly [could be explored]. There’s always something interesting about a school that’s got a military aspect beneath its classrooms," he said. "Is there another layer to all of that? Is there another layer to the Hellfire Club? The idea of, ‘Who’s running the world?’ — that’s something that was touched upon in First Class but has yet to be fully explored. It just has to be explored in a very gentle, methodical way. And I’ve seen it go haywire. I’m not going to be specific where I believe it has. The audience will tell you. But when it’s done right, it all can connect.”

I thought originally they both were on Fox. Interesting!

No wonder why there has been so little Hellfire news compared to all that has been announced with Legion.

FOX Gives Pilot Order for New X-Men TV Series

It was previously announced that FOX and Marvel were in negotiations to develop a Hellfire TV series, based on the infamous villain group from the X-Men canon, but Variety reports that the Hellfire series is no longer moving forward.

Jeff Loeb Reveals Why HELLFIRE Was Scrapped

As for Hellfire, which was scrapped in favor of this new untitled project, Dana Walden, in a separate interview with Slashfilm, elaborated a bit on why they decided it was better to go in a different direction following the departure of its original showrunners, explaining that the new story felt just a tad too big for television and that their take on the Hellfire Club may have been a little too similar to the villainous group's appearance in Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class where they faced off with a young Charles Xavier and the first generation of his beloved X-Men:

“We did see an early draft of Hellfire and there was a lot of work to be done, Manny and Evan were getting very busy with the new 24. At a certain point we all regrouped, together with Simon Kinberg and Bryan Singer and Lauren Shuler Donner and Jeph Loeb at Marvel and really made a decision. I would say if there was anything about Hellfire that was not ideal for us, it felt like a show that wanted to live as a feature rather than really taking advantage of what television does best: exploring relationships and characters and smaller moments. It doesn’t mean it can’t feel like a big show but Hellfire felt more like another installment of the features.”

Why Fox Passed On 'Hellfire'

hellfire-1029151-640x320.jpg

While The Gifted is bringing the X-Men to network television on Fox, that destiny was once meant for another show, titled Hellfire. Fox passed on the series and there's a pretty practical reason why.

Hellfire was to be based on the Hellfire Club, the powerful organization of the influential who have been villains in X-Men comics since the 1970s and who appeared in the movie X-Men: First Class.

Hellfire was ultimately scrapped in favor of pushing forward with The Gifted, and producer Lauren Shuler Donner gave a simple reason for why.

“It was too many characters and not enough depth of character,” Donner tells Entertainment Weekly.