• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Illusive Nexus #1 Magazine Variant with Print!

27 posts in this topic

When I was a kid collecting B&W comics, there was one comic that I had heard about, but always alluded me... the Nexus #1 Magazine with the limited edition special print. Back in the 80's, Nexus #1 was a semi-key so I was happy the day I got one. But, when I opened up the back cover, I realized there was an even rarer version of the comic which was limited edition of 500 that came with a special print!

Nexus1_Ad_zpsnmegskjp.jpg

For years, I tried to find someone who had seen one and could tell me what the difference was with this special book. The amount of urban legends that abounded about this book were amazing. Most common debate was about the rumored print. Some claimed it was the double page pull out in the centerfold, some claimed it was a special loose print that was signed and numbered, and some thought it was a special page that only appeared in the book. Not even the Overstreet Price Guide was clear on it.

Well, fast forward 30 years... at this last Baltimore Comic-Con, I finally found a copy. Al Stoltz (master of finding books no one else has seen), had a copy on his wall that I gladly purchased. So, for the first times on these boards, I present the true difference with the illusive Nexus #1 magazine.

The cover looks exactly like the regular edition which is what makes it so hard to spot in the wild.

Nexus1_Cover_zpsazzwcome.jpg

You start to see the difference on the inside front cover. The bottom area includes the signatures of creators Mike Baron, Steve Rude, and Paul Gulacy. It is also numbered out of 500 copies - this is #315.

Nexus1_Signature_zpspobt9agk.jpg

Finally, there is the rumored print. There is in fact a separate print printed on a special textured paper so it can't easily be counterfeited. But, it is not signed or numbered.

Nexus1_Print_zpssxnto6st.jpg

It is smaller than the book so can fit inside - approx. 7" x 10.25". My guess is that over the years, for a few of the copies, the print got separated from the book itself. So, if you're looking to buy one of these, make sure the print is with it.

So who else has a story of trying to track one of these down or has one?

Nexus #1 wasnt a semi key in the 80s - its a semi key today. Back then it was a big book and a big key!

Congrats on the great find! They pop up on the bay from time to time, but certainly a great book to own! I have 5 copies of the unsigned #1 myself, and I keep on buying more when I see them around :)

that's very cool, never heard of it

similar to the MM 2D

I too remember how hot Nexus was back in the day

I had Nexus 3 with the record in the mid-80s (as a 13 year old) and recall recording it to cassette and being a little perplexed by the "your secret, my secret, let's share our secrets" line :sick:

still not sure actually

Welcome to the club! I got mine with the print in the early days of ebay, but it still took a LONG time. Another fun Nexus item to torture yourself with is the S&N hardcover of the first collection.

And after x number of years collecting Nexus items, I am still hunting for the Nexus Family print

SteveRudeKickstarter_08072015_2.jpg

This is the real white whale though. I don't even remember where I saw this or grabbed this pic, but I think it is a signed or S&N poster-

nexussnprint.jpg

A few more rarities (not my pics)-

postcard-

NexusPostcard.jpg

Dark Horse flyer-

nexus_wagessin_flyer1b.jpg

wagespromo1.png

Trading cards-

nexus-cards-back.jpg

nexus-cards-front.jpg

Calling cards-

nexuscallingcards.jpg

buttons-

nexusbuttons.jpg

nexusbuttons2.jpg

nexuspin.jpg

1992 Eclipse card-

1992eclipsecard.jpg

The Steve Rude Gallery HC

And somebody named Brian T. Rivers made a Steve Rude catalog back in 2004. If I can find a place to upload the PDF, it is very comprehensive. Or just PM me.

There was a Nexus statue that was limited to 500 or so. As I recall,many were defective, as the one arm broke off in shipping. I ordered two or three, had to return them and most of the replacements were also broken.

There was a Nexus statue that was limited to 500 or so. As I recall,many were defective, as the one arm broke off in shipping. I ordered two or three, had to return them and most of the replacements were also broken.

Someone has the painting for the box art-

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1044539

Its amazing to see that there are so many fans of the series still and yet the book itself isnt appreciating in value. It almost makes you wonder about the 99% of the stuff thats overpriced in todays market, which has an equal or less fanbase hm

Just imagine if this ever became a TV show of movie franchise how many dormant fans would come out of the woodwork that say nothing because for now there is nothing but wonderful memories. I was overjoyed to purchase my Nexus 1 CGC 9.8, that series so impressed me as a younger collector.

Its amazing to see that there are so many fans of the series still and yet the book itself isnt appreciating in value. It almost makes you wonder about the 99% of the stuff thats overpriced in todays market, which has an equal or less fanbase hm

I think that the big problem with Nexus is that right around issue 50, Mike Baron lost his mojo. Same goes with Badger around issue 30 or so. Maybe it was Rude moving on, but I thought that the biting dialogue of the early issues was gone. When Rude returned for the various mini-series, Baron was still unable to get it done.

The Dark Horse series is what got me started and then I backtracked to the beginning.

Btw, there's a new Kickstarter up-

Looks like they are reprinting the family portrait!

Good ol' Steve.. Im really starting to believe he IS Nexus!

thereal.jpg

He served as his own model for Nexus back in the day. Not so much anymore (hey, we all get older and he's actually hanging in there pretty well!).

I think that the big problem with Nexus is that right around issue 50, Mike Baron lost his mojo. Same goes with Badger around issue 30 or so. Maybe it was Rude moving on, but I thought that the biting dialogue of the early issues was gone. When Rude returned for the various mini-series, Baron was still unable to get it done.

What happened to NEXUS is what happened to so many other great '80s indies including AMERICAN FLAGG!, the aformentioned BADGER, ELEMENTALS, JON SABLE, et al. The creators were all burned out by the punishing monthly schedule. In the days before trade collections became the norm, and an additional income stream, if the comic didn't come out in any given month, then the creators didn't eat. First Comics was especially strict about every book coming out on time. All of these titles started off strong, but not surprisingly, that pace can only be kept up for so long before something snaps. In Steve Rude's case, he actually had a breakdown (this is documented and he's talked about it as well).

In today's environment, these books would have all had longer runs. They'd be supported by trade sales and more importantly, many would simply end, rather than go on indefinitely. Today's creators, especially those who own their work (e.g. Image creators) have learned from the '80s. BKV figured it out, IMO, with SAGA: 6 months on, 3 months off. The readership got trained to that schedule and it's no big deal anymore when the break happens. That break is crucial for the creative team to both stay on their schedule as well as maintain their sanity.

I revisit these books every so often and most still hold up well...NEXUS, especially. It deserves to find a new audience and I hope it does.

The Dark Horse series is what got me started and then I backtracked to the beginning.

Good ol' Steve.. Im really starting to believe he IS Nexus!

thereal.jpg

He served as his own model for Nexus back in the day. Not so much anymore (hey, we all get older and he's actually hanging in there pretty well!).

Steve's a charmer, I met him at East Coast con this year, snapped a pic of him standing next to Steranko.. Talk about height difference!

I loved collecting this series growing up. The art was amazing, but the covers were just out of this world. I remember seeing all of Rude's paintings and thinking to myself "this is the new age of comics!"

CBG_900_009.jpg

I was photo'ing some stuff to post on ebay and ran across this old CBG with a full page ad for Nexus solicited by First. This must have been right before they folded, because it wasn't too long after when the series moved to Dark Horse and this material was re-solicited.

We have the new Kickstarter to look forward to, the newspaper strips, and the new Flesk book too. Great time to be a Nexus fan! Can I get a Vootie?!

OH MY!

Now that I would want for Christmas. Heck, any time of year would be good.

:wishluck::wishluck::wishluck: