• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color breaks along spine fold from printing

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if the color breaks that you get along the length of the spine as a result of folding the cover during printing count against you during grading. I see these fairly commonly with dark covers with dark back covers.

That is why I asked. I specifically want to know about creases made during the folding process during manufacturing along the spine on dark cover. I know CGC says certain know manufacturing defects will be overlooked in the grading process. IS this one of them?

The color slightly breaking along the spine during folding is sometimes unavoidable, especially on thicker books. As long as the paper isn't flaking away, I believe this is counted as a production related defect and will not keep a book from 9.8...I have several.

It is a common but unfortunate production flaw common with 90s and up that just seems to get worse as paper quality continues to decline. I HATE IT BECAUSE IT LEAVES ROOM FOR FURTHER DAMAGE OF FLAKING WITH HANDLEING. Its notmarked down on a 9.8 of less if its minor