• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this a good trade? Poll heavy thread to guage if a trade was good.

20 posts in this topic

Trading comics has always been part of the hobby. I remember sitting around making horrendous trades with older buddies because I really wanted that X-Men 171 for my set. We also seem to always wonder if a trade was a "good" one. I don't care if it's your personal opinion or from a sales standpoint - do you think a trade was a good one? I'll post up my own couple trades this morning and feel free to add any trades you want people to rate. You must post up a poll but people are of course welcome to comment all they want.

1st Up - I traded a Guardians of the Galaxy 1 CGC 9.4 (2008), X-Men 109 CGC 9.0 and a VG copy of Strange Tales 169 for a Thor 337 CGC 9.8. Like the trade?

Trading comics has always been part of the hobby. I remember sitting around making horrendous trades with older buddies because I really wanted that X-Men 171 for my set. We also seem to always wonder if a trade was a "good" one. I don't care if it's your personal opinion or from a sales standpoint - do you think a trade was a good one? I'll post up my own couple trades this morning and feel free to add any trades you want people to rate. You must post up a poll but people are of course welcome to comment all they want.

1st Up - I traded a Guardians of the Galaxy 1 CGC 9.4 (2008), X-Men 109 CGC 9.0 and a VG copy of Strange Tales 169 for a Thor 337 CGC 9.8. Like the trade?

Wow. This is the 100th thread you've created this year.

Second trade (this is my third trade in the last couple years - it was one of those mornings).

I traded two New Teen Titans 2 that where NM- for two Star Wars 1s in VF/NM grade (possibly improvable where as the Teen Titans were maxed out).

I don't keep track but I'd seriously doubt it. My over and under would be half that many in the year (4 a month)

1Cool Subforum :sumo:

1Cool Threads:

October - 10

September - 10

August - 12

July - 10

June - 8

May - 9

April - 15

March - 9

February - 8

January - 9

100 exactly! :D

December 2014 - 10

November 2014 - 7

October 25, 2014 - October 31, 2014 - 2

:whee:

1Cool Threads:

October - 10

September - 10

August - 12

July - 10

June - 8

May - 9

April - 15

March - 9

February - 8

January - 9

100 exactly! :D

December 2014 - 10

November 2014 - 7

October 25, 2014 - October 31, 2014 - 2

:whee:

I was only counting threads in the General section but if you count PGM, sales threads and want to buy threads then I'm surprised it was not more.

Why not set up the poll in such a way as to vote on the better deal:

Giving up two SW #1 for two NTT #2 is the ^^

Or

Giving up two NTT #2 for two SW #1 is the ^^

Or

Trade was equal

I think that's how its currently set up but maybe I need to tweak the wording?

Why not set up the poll in such a way as to vote on the better deal:

Giving up two SW #1 for two NTT #2 is the ^^

Or

Giving up two NTT #2 for two SW #1 is the ^^

Or

Trade was equal

I think that's how its currently set up but maybe I need to tweak the wording?

The way I read the polls was that they look at the deal from your end only, would you make the trade or not. This way it is set up as evaluating both sides. Is there a better end of the deal, or a tie?

I might take the NTT for the SW, but if I were on the other side I may not feel good about trading the SW for the NTT. Make sense?

Ok, here is a more accurate count. (thumbs u

1Cool Comics General Threads

October: 2

Was this a good trade? Poll heavy thread to guage if a trade was good.

Slab it or keep it raw? That is the question?

September: 4

Is sneaky marketing ok as long as it brings in the comic buyers?

Do we give away too much valuable comic industry information on the boards?

Scans vs Multiple Pictures - Facebook debate ongoing.

How is CGC possibly this busy??

August: 3

If the Canadian dollar is so weak why don't we see a ton of Canadian sellers?

All the rage on Facebook - English Auctions.

Are signature series worth getting and should artists charge more for CGC book?

July: 3

How do you price a 9.8 if there hasn't even been a 9.6?

When to use fast submission and when to go the slow boat??

Tight Grader . . Loose Grader . . Does it matter if the price is the same?

June: 4

Another sign the market is going strong or going crazy?

Tales and thoughts from the trenches - story of a rookie con seller.

What's the strangest way to sell books you have seen?

How do you earn the designation of being a professional grader?

May: 4

Any rules while buying at Cons? Is it ok to create a bidding war?

ComicLink shipping policy just plain stinks!

Poll Added! Help pick the comic con t-shirt.

What do you charge for consignments?

April: 6

Are LCSs the new enemy or have they always been?

How do dealers find the time to do some buying at Cons?

Any LCSs in Dayton Ohio worthing checking out?

What price do you need to see a back cover?

Any tax advice for a newbie?

Books known by numbers alone game. Can you guess the books just by issue number

March: 3

Do you think its ok to flip a book at a Con where you bought it?

Where were you at Conamagedon??

Is Con selling easier then on-line sales?

February: 2

Questions about Comic Book forums on Facebook.

Wizard World Cleveland - Success Story!

January: 4

ComicLink Procedure Question

Post up your wins from this months ComicLink auction!

Anyone ever quantify page quality in terms of prices for books?

How much would it cost to get a Walking Dead 1 graded?

The Strange Tales 169 was definitely the swing book in that trade. I was throwing out $25 dollar books and he had pretty much all of the ones I could think of. I thought the ST 169 was a GD+ so offered to throw it in and it turns out to be a nice looking VG copy. I'd have probably not redo this deal if I had to do it over but I'm excited to have my first Thor 337 CGC 9.8.

Whenever you are trading up, as in trading several lesser dollar books for one bigger ticket book, you are doing alright.

This trade you made is not something I would have made, though.You gave up too much in FMV to offset the trade up.

The last sale of a Thor 337 9.8 was $182 with 90 day average at $216...been trending up all year, as well.

Call it a $200 book, conservatively.

Haven't looked up the GOTG 1 and X-Men 109, but I have a good idea what they go for in those grades, slabbed.Call the GOTG 1 ...like this.......... BIN sales at $75 and the X-Men 109 solid at $90, if you just want to cash out and move them fast.

A raw ST 169 in VG is about a $100 in VG.Spend 45-60 minutes dry cleaning the ST 169, assuming it was not dry cleaned,and it is a quick sale at $100- $125, or slightly more for............a VG/FN raw.

GPA has ST 169 at around $150 in 4.0.

Assuming this is a dealer to dealer trade at a show, I would have told the other guy to kick in $50 to marginalize the differential.If this was a collector/attendee who came up to your table, would have been best to get around $100 out of him.

Here's the last trade I made, at a show:

I had a collector/flipper come up to my table at a show last month with a stack of CGC books.

I told him that the book I was most interested in was his ASM 31 CGC Stan Lee SS 8.0 and that I would give him about fair market value in trade.After I checked GPA, I told him he could take $500 worth of my books-his jaw almost dropped...I could have offered him $300 and he probably would have taken the trade.

I was tired and not on point at that show, otherwise I would have been cooler headed and more collected;would have given him 350 or so in trade and he would have taken it.

Last sale of the ASM 31 CGC SS 8.0 was at $620 for a copy withtan to cream pages, the copy I got has white pages.

The burn/cashout price on the book is $500, if I just want to liquidate it.So I gave up $500 in my sticker/asking price on raw books (about 12-15 books) so I still made out on thebook, but considering the factors involved with the show...hotel, van rental, 6 hour drive...I should have given up less in value.....$375 is what I should have offered in trade.Not $500.

At the end of the trade, after he picked his book, I told him to pick a few books out of my $10 boxes just to hook him up.

I I sit on the ASM 31, which is what I'm doing, it'll eventually sell at $675...which I think is a fair price, less than a 10% of a hike over a lesser PQ tan to cream 8.0.

Point being, you have to be clear headed and analyze FMV's and time involved to sell the books to really do well in a trade.

Dude - what are you talking about? Did Strange Tales 169 take a huge jump overnight? Maybe you are thinking about a Doctor Strange 169? 1st Brother Voodoo I had up for sale at $40 and no takers.

Dude - what are you talking about? Did Strange Tales 169 take a huge jump overnight? Maybe you are thinking about a Doctor Strange 169? 1st Brother Voodoo I had up for sale at $40 and no takers.

I've been seeing some interesting prices in ebay's Sold listing for ST169. Probably fueled by the upcoming Doc Strange movie and the association between Doc Strange and Brother Voodoo.

You're right....I mistook ST 169 for DS 169.

That said, you came out ahead in terms of FMV...as well as the fact it will be much easier to sell 1 slabbed 9.8 copper age key than it will be to sell 3 minor keys.

Still, it would have been good to have had the guy toss in $25 in cash to help offset your expenses.

If he was a hard case, I would have traded him those 3 books for the Thor, though.

Just saying, as a dealer at a show you inherently have the upper hand, when a collector comes up to your table to rade books.You paid for the booth, he knows you are out to make a profit on a trade, etc etc.

All that said, you traded up while he traded down and he also got a bit less in FMV in trade credit so yeah, it was a good trade.