• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do if you saw Action #1 at a yard sale?

98 posts in this topic

What would you do if a box was misdelivered to you and it was apparently lost in the mail for years and was a box of Action #1's. And the drug store it was addressed to was still in business. :whistle:

Well, I did actually have an ASM#1 mistakenly mailed to me by an ebay seller once.

I bought an X-Men 19 on the bay and was shocked to open the package to find a nice-looking ASM#1 instead. :o

I held it, gazed at it, picked up my jaw off the floor and then contacted the seller and said I think they made a mistake and so I ended up sending it back to the seller. I also did end up getting my XM19 which was mistakenly shipped to someone in Singapore who had bought the ASM1. I could only imagine if I were the one buying the ASM1 and getting an XM19 instead.

Tell the person what it was worth and leave? Offer to broker a deal? Buy it for a dollar?

I have to admit I'd probly buy it for a dollar then after I sold it come back and give them half.

It's funny you mention this, I just had the opportunity to buy one of my foreign grails, a Philippine Star Wars #1 (and a #2.) The person selling had it listed at a ridiculously low price and he didn't know what he had. I told him where it was from, offered him much more than he was asking, and he happily sold me the 2 comics.

A win for me (I purchased a comic that only a few known copies exist) and a win for the seller. I don't see any reason not to offer something above $1 for a rare comic.

And for those who don't believe me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221913932653?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Understand, he originally listed both copies for just $20 and did not indicate what they were. I would have felt unethical if I didn't let him know what he had and offer a fair price for them.

Well assuming the person selling it at the yard sale was selling it for far less than FMV and had no idea what they had I would buy it for whatever they were asking.

But, since I would never sell it if I didn't have to and I probably wouldn't have the money to purchase it for even half it's FMV if it was anything better than in VG condition, I would anonymously send them money in varying sums (interest free of course) until I've paid off the 2015 FMV (minus the initial payment) or until my conscience released me from my obligation. Kind of like a lifetime annuity.

Buy it at their asking price & run.

If I ever sold it, I'd send an anonymous money order or something to the seller for a chunk of the profit, but if it stayed in my collection? Well... pretty much just enjoy looking at the big emergency fund sitting in my collection.

I'm shocked at how many of you would share the profits if you sold.... I find that so hard to believe.

if I bought a comic for $10 and sold it for $1,000,000, the thought of sending 50% or 25% or even 10% sounds like it would be too hard to do.

perhaps that's why the comic gods will not smile upon me....

I never said what %. If I bought a book for $1 and sold it for $500, I wouldn't share a penny. But if I bought something for $1 and sold it for $500,000, I wouldn't have any objection to throwing $10,000 over via an envelope of cash dropped in their mail slot or something. I mean, that's not much difference than the dude at the 7/11 that sells you a lottery ticket getting a nice little check. And I think not doing something relatively small for the person you made a lot of money because of is akin to punching karma in the face & peeing on its prone body.

well said..agree completely and hope I would chose the same path as the Doktor. Best two things that ever happened to me was a AMS 4 on ebay for 15.00 . I told her it was worth way more ..ended up calling her. She said it was in a drawer with 4 other books from her husband in the attic . Who knows..she sounded legit. Offered her 100.00 said i couldn't take it for 15.00. Asked her what other books were (just incase there was an AMS 1)..nothing great. Had it graded and it came back a 7.5 .

And about 15 mins ago my mailman delivered a registered package which was a AMS 129 CGC 9.0 that I bought and paid too much for 2 months ago. It came to me with a shattered case ...could open the slab completely on one side and touch the book. I resubmitted it to verify it was original book because seller denied sending it shattered and it came back just this morning at a 9.4. I was psyched because of all the extra money and time I had into it....That's about as kind as the comic Gods have ever been to me , but I'll take it.

I'm shocked at how many of you would share the profits if you sold.... I find that so hard to believe.

if I bought a comic for $10 and sold it for $1,000,000, the thought of sending 50% or 25% or even 10% sounds like it would be too hard to do.

perhaps that's why the comic gods will not smile upon me....

Why would it be hard for you to share if you got a massive windfall?

Buy it at their asking price & run.

If I ever sold it, I'd send an anonymous money order or something to the seller for a chunk of the profit, but if it stayed in my collection? Well... pretty much just enjoy looking at the big emergency fund sitting in my collection.

under the "no good deed goes unpunished" rule of the universe, the seller will realize the mistake, hunt you down, and try to sue you to get all the money

i would deal with karma differently...be more generous to the poor, whatever, maybe make a charitable gift. if the seller looked to be in bad shape i'd deal with the karma gods and send some money his/her way though. i once found $1600 on the street..yes, that's a weird number...anyway, for a few days after that i pretty much didn't say no to any panhandlers.

I'm pretty confident I would auction it off ASAP and drop off a check for 10% of the proceeds. They would be thrilled and I would be rich - win/win.

Tell the person what it was worth and leave? Offer to broker a deal? Buy it for a dollar?

I have to admit I'd probly buy it for a dollar then after I sold it come back and give them half.

Honestly... I would have to say something. I'd tell the person having the sale that the book is very valuable and that they should get it graded through cgc to make sure it's real. I'd offer to help them sort it. I'd ask nothing for myself, aside from having my picture taken with it...or maybe having a cheeky little read.

Bottom line, I have to like what I see in the mirror when I look, and if I bought it and said nothing I'm not sure I could.

James