• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most desirable books by cover price

61 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but what do you consider

1.00 – New Mutants #98

Actually I would say the $1 winner is Cerebus #1.

I considered this. I think the average collector would pick the first Deadpool, but I'll put it on the list.

well are we not using value as the criteria? :juggle:

Otherwise what's the point? Just put ASM #whatever for every cover price if you just want to track demand

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but what do you consider

1.00 – New Mutants #98

Actually I would say the $1 winner is Cerebus #1.

I considered this. I think the average collector would pick the first Deadpool, but I'll put it on the list.

well are we not using value as the criteria? :juggle:

Otherwise what's the point? Just put ASM #whatever for every cover price if you just want to track demand

I think guide value (or actualized values) is certainly in the mix, but it's not the only thing in the mix.

25 cents = X-Men 94? or how about ASM annual #1 or FF annual #1?

I don't see any of those being more popular than Hulk 181

And yet they are still far more desirable than ZAP 1 and NY World's Fair, both of which are listed in your 25 cent category.

I think you've now created some confusion between most desirable/valuable so until that's been clarified, there's no point in continuing this.

I think you've now created some confusion between most desirable/valuable so until that's been clarified, there's no point in continuing this.

Yeah. I mean it's his list he can do what he wants but if the criteria is going to be subjective instead of something we can measure it feels like a waste of time and Im out

Yeah. I mean it's his list he can do what he wants but if the criteria is going to be subjective instead of something we can measure it feels like a waste of time and Im out

My thoughts behind it were that something like Zap probably has a different set of collectors than superhero books. People that want the second appearance of the new X-Men probably also want the first appearance of Wolverine, and in recent years far more attention has been put on IH 181, and it realizes greater sales prices. Same goes for the annuals. I'll put them on the list, but please make an argument as to why any of the books you mention is considered more desirable. Same goes for anyone suggesting a book at a price that already appears on the list in the OP.

The most desirable at 12¢ for me would be Fantastic Four #1, #2 or #5, before than Amazing Fantasy #15. :)
I'm the same as you(at least for FF #1), but I realize both value and popularity favor the AF and I couldn't really argue otherwise for including FF over the AF for this list. There'll be some disagreements on some of the choices, but I think it'll prove interesting to hear those like with the Zap/GSX/NY World's Fair comics.

But isn't price generally (not always & not completely) driven by desirability? Therefore, the most desirable are LIKELY to be some of the highest price.

The reason I asked was because New York World's Fair and World's Best Comics were brought up. Pricey, yes. And I'm sure there are a few deep-pocket GA collectors willing to pay those prices. But I can think of some SA and BA comics that would probably be more "desirable" to more collectors than those even if the GA ones are priced higher. Sure, I would love to have the money for those, but I would rather have others for my collection. If it was just most valuable, instead of most desirable there would be less uncertainty, because you could quantify it. It's hard to qualify what is "most desirable."

Fair point. I think that for the majority of collectors GL 76 is "more desirable" than World's Best 1, even if the latter is more expensive.

It's also likely far more liquid -- as in, if I'm a dealer, i'd rather have $10k worth of GL 76 at a show than $10k worth of World's Best 1.

Same logic would apply to other books as well.