• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most desirable books by cover price

61 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but what do you consider the most desirable book at each cover price? Some should be fairly obvious, but I imagine there could some decent arguments at certain price points. I'll update this list as there seems to be a popular consensus (or as an argument narrows down to a few contenders). Feel free to toss out prices not mentioned below.

No Price Listed – Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly

FREE – ? (Variant category: Unity #0 Red)

.05 – ?

.09 – Fantastic Four #489

.10 – Action Comics #1 / Detective Comics #27

.12 – Amazing Fantasy #15

.15 – Green Lantern #76

.20 – Iron Man #55 / Amazing Spider-man 120 / ASM 121 / ASM 129

.25 – Zap #1 / Incredible Hulk #181 / New York World's Fair 1939 / X-Men 94 / ASM annual #1 / FF annual #1

.30 – ? (Variant category: ?)

.35 – ? (Variant category: Star Wars #1 price variant)

.40 – ?

.50 – Giant-Size X-Men #1

.60 – Amazing Spider-man 238 / Betty & Veronica #320

.65 – ?

.75 – ? (Variant category: Miracleman #1 Gold)

.99 – ?

1.00 – New Mutants #98 / Cerebus #1

1.25 – Batman Adventures #12

1.50 – TMNT #1

1.75 – ?

1.95 – Harbinger #1

1.99 – ?

2.25 – ? (Variant category: Miracleman 3D #1 2D variant)

2.50 – ?

2.95 – Walking Dead #1 / The Dark Knight Returns #1 / Bone #1

2.99 – Saga #1 / Chew #1

3.50 – ?

3.99 – ?

4.69 – (Variant category: Sex Criminals #11 XXX Variant)

4.99 – ?

5.99 – ?

6.99 – ?

7.99 – ?

TMNT #1 - $1.50

I was going to say ASM 300 but you are way more accurate with your pick. I didn't realize that was the original cost.

How about Walking Dead # 1 for $2.95?

There are so many .10-.25 cent books I wouldn't know where to start. (shrug)

It's hard to beat Action Comics #1. And I popped in Amazing Fantasy because I think after Action and Detective #27, it's probably the third most desirable book (to the average collector) out there.

The tricky bit is going to be where double-size or independent books that generally cost more come out earlier than most other books with the same cover price

Unity #0 Red (1992) has a "FREE" cover price - last CGC 9.8 sale was $283, the 90 day average is $295.

There are more valuable books without a cover price, but having the word "FREE" on there seemed like what you were asking.

If we compare the same grades, Zap #1 and Hulk #181 don't sell for as much as New York World's Fair 1939 25cent.

The book exists as 15cents (sticker cover price) and 25cents (original cover price)... which would make it #1 (so far) for either category.

Are we including variants, UG's, independents, etc.? We'd need to add stuff like .39 and .49 cent Spires, $1.79 and $2.19 for Archie, .09 cent Marvels, etc.

The list needs a 5c category :)
Is there more than one title? That should be added, too.

Unity #0 Red (1992) has a "FREE" cover price - last CGC 9.8 sale was $283, the 90 day average is $295.

There are more valuable books without a cover price, but having the word "FREE" on there seemed like what you were asking.

I do think there should be differentiation between something that says "free" and something with no cover price. Some of the giveaway reprints of comic strips from the platinum age probably fall into the latter category, which would be far more desirable to the average collector than Unity. Are there FCBD books that are highly sought after?