• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded Comic Damaged in Shipping

32 posts in this topic

Yup, that was the auction. He didn't list it as 8.5 in the title. Everything seems fine though; he had 100% feedback, the auction stated priority, he said the slab was in great condition, etc.

Well, the good news is that the book was not damaged and from the looks of it, having it dry cleaned, pressed and regarded will get you a grade bump, above 8.5.

As the book appears to be a candidate for dry cleaning/pressing to begin with, cracking the slab open isn't such a bad thing after all.

The seller certainly dropped the ball but you can use his fumble to your advantage.

Message him with the pics, stating that the did not send the book under the conditions outlined in the auction and it was damaged.

Tel him you want him to cover the cost of having the book reholdered (reholder fee plus $5 invoice fee) as well as the cost of shipping/insurance the slab to CGC.Figure out what that will be exactly and outline it to him,should be $40-$50.

State he has 48 hours to issue the funds before you initiate a case on ebay.

The guy will certainly rather send you $40-$50 or so than have you send back a comic with busted up slab, and then have to send you a $700+ refund.

Post up pics of the book in the Please Grade Me subform on this board, if you want feedback on the potential for a grade bump.

Just from looking at what appears to be dirt on the top of the right edge and light edge wear,I'd say the grade could be improved.

My initial thoughts are that you will be getting $40 or so for a book that will benefit from being cracked open in the first place, so due to the seller's negligence, you are entitled to $40 to cover re-holder/shipping fees.

Instead, place that $40 towards having the book dry cleaned, pressed and regraded.

Or just have it reholdered.

I did a search for completed sales of IM 55 in 8.5 on that date, and do not see any. A few 8.5's did sell but after the 13th and they are not old label. Does eBay pick and choose what gets included in completed sales?

EBay has recently started limiting history. They probably realize they can make money selling that info.

Since when? As of 10/27/15, ebay search history for IM #55 goes back to 7/29/15. The auction is right here.

There was a recent discussion about it in General, wasn't there?

My searches from Canada are also limited in different ways so that may be why as well.

So, you're spouting something as fact based on a vague memory of a speculative discussion in CG?

'Spouting as fact' is annoyed words! Sorry if you felt I peed in your Cheerios. :foryou:

This was the conversation. Sorry, I couldn't find it and paste it sooner.

Will the same thing happen to the GPA? Ebay stopping market data

BTW, eBay does limit what people from different countries can see as well.

Completely different thing, Roy - has to do with eBay limiting access to the eBay API data through 3rd party providers.

Can you explain what the means? Assume I have no idea what you're talking about...which I don't.

Completely different thing, Roy - has to do with eBay limiting access to the eBay API data through 3rd party providers.

Can you explain what the means? Assume I have no idea what you're talking about...which I don't.

In its most non-technical form it means eBay limits the amount of data that can be accessed by other programs. An example would be limiting how far back you can go on past sales. eBay would have access to all of this data but they only make available to programs outside of eBay a small amount.

you live you learn... I always ask a seller how he intends on shipping a lot of the times before I put money down; or I at least tell them how I expect it shipped.... I don't know any details but Id say he's a older collector who has no idea how to ship books...

Yup, that was the auction. He didn't list it as 8.5 in the title. Everything seems fine though; he had 100% feedback, the auction stated priority, he said the slab was in great condition, etc.

I would send it back and ask for a full refund.

I have to say, though, that given how long it had been since the seller had sold anything and given what he was selling when he did sell ... that listing had scam written all over it. Turns out it was legit, which shows you never know.

I mean, eBay sides so heavily with the buyer nowadays that it's actually difficult to get legitimately scammed on eBay.

That's true, although you can be seriously inconvenienced.

For those interested, I ended up getting the seller to refund me $115. I also got in touch with Joe from CFP and he'll be taking a look at the book before sending it off for regrading and hopefully touching it up if possible. Hoping for a better grade, but I think I'm still ahead if I get the original 8.5 in a more recent slab. If everything works out, I ended up paying $630 for the book which is a great price.

For those interested, I ended up getting the seller to refund me $115. I also got in touch with Joe from CFP and he'll be taking a look at the book before sending it off for regrading and hopefully touching it up if possible. Hoping for a better grade, but I think I'm still ahead if I get the original 8.5 in a more recent slab. If everything works out, I ended up paying $630 for the book which is a great price.

See massive silver lining. Will you be sending it off as a reslab or cleaning and pressing than doing a fresh submission?