• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What defects does CGC really mark down for?

56 posts in this topic

So ok maybe a dumb question getting ready to send in some black covers (AMS36 + 2 others) that I would say are 9.6-9.8 and they have a couple of finger prints that you can see if you hold the book on an angle will this have an effect on grade

Provided the books are otherwise perfect, the highest you can expect with noticeable finger prints would be a 9.6, but I think a 9.2 or 9.4 would be even more likely.

So ok maybe a dumb question getting ready to send in some black covers (AMS36 + 2 others) that I would say are 9.6-9.8 and they have a couple of finger prints that you can see if you hold the book on an angle will this have an effect on grade

Absolutely. Depending on the type of finger print (did the oils affect the inks) or are they surface will depend on how much of a hit you will take. Light fingerprints can be wiped or polished off, while the greasy type tend to be permanent .

reading through the thread and i wanted to ask how bad will they ding a comic if there is slight fading on the right side of a comic? will that bring it out in the NM range? The fading tends to wear out some of the color on the letters of the comic.

reading through the thread and i wanted to ask how bad will they ding a comic if there is slight fading on the right side of a comic? will that bring it out in the NM range? The fading tends to wear out some of the color on the letters of the comic.

Fsding gets a hard hit. Even light fading will bring a book down a few grades. Do you have a scan?

light bends seem to be killing me lately...maybe its always been that way, but my last 3 books I thought were 9.6's all came back 9.2's with only comments being "light finger bend(s) top front or top back cover". It only frustrates me because I always see 9.2's on ebay with 19 spine ticks and blunted corners. I'll get over it..just seems the last 2 months things have really tightened up.

oh..and someone mentioned big hits on stains...ummm...yup...bought a raw batman 251 at convention . said he had a 6.5, 8.0 and 9.2/9.4...said give me the 9.2+...looked over it and had a grader who was there look over it briefly. We both agreed it looked awesome. Came back a 6.5 with only notation being small light stains on back spine...which no one saw in that damn lighting. so...out 750.00 plus a neal adams autograph on the best looking 6.5 ever :) I hate not knowing what i'm doing.

.... light bends seem to be killing me lately

.... It only frustrates me because I always see 9.2's on ebay with 19 spine ticks and blunted corners.

.... said give me the 9.2+...looked over it and had a grader who was there look over it briefly. We both agreed it looked awesome. Came back a 6.5 with only notation being small light stains on back spine...which no one saw in that damn lighting.

... so...out 750.00 plus a neal adams autograph on the best looking 6.5 ever :) I hate not knowing what i'm doing.

This is quite literally everyone's experience as they attend the Comics School of Hard Knocks. I am sure that I easily misspent a couple of thousand dollars on books in the early years due to impatience and blindness. :blush:

But every year, one gets better at really seeing the book and at understanding the defects one can and can't live with. That means fewer and fewer of the kind of mistakes that might sour a person on the hobby.

That also means building a better and better collection. (thumbs u

It took me a few submissions, but now I really THINK I have a good idea of what usually constitutes a 9.8. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), that led to me culling a lot of books from my upcoming submission as there were just too many little minute flaws I'm fairly certain will knock them out of 9.8 status.

I'm new to the site. If I post some pictures of comics, I'm hoping some collectors have an eye for grades. I have 1 issue in particular I'm most curious about. Help would be appreciated.

Not that grading from a scan is an accurate means of assinging a grade to a book but that is what the Please Grade Me subforum is for; a preliminary means to help people get an idea on a book's grade.

Buuuut,I did see your post the other day in PGM, which indicated that you had an X-Men 266 that you thought may grade out as a "10.0".........:kidaround: