• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most misused comic book character?

63 posts in this topic

Spider-Man, easily. They don't know how to write him him unless he's a down-on-his-luck broke teenager.

I will echo the sentiment that everyone was badly written in Civil War, almost as if Bendis doesn't know jack about these characters at all... :whistle:

Deadpool? Harley Quinn? Who cares? There's not enough depth to these characters to misuse.

I will echo the sentiment that everyone was badly written in Civil War, almost as if Bendis doesn't know jack about these characters at all... :whistle:

Mark Millar wrote Civil War. But your point remains.

I also want to point out AvX as another horribly out-of-character writing example. That was a giant cluster%*#* by all of Marvel's writers on so many levels. It's really irritating how (at least Marvel's) event books can't be written in-character very well for the past few decades. Pretty much since the original Secret War or maybe just Onslaught, they've had a Point A to Point B approach that doesn't seem to care about which path they take or how believable the adventure getting there is.

See... I see Gwenpool as a character that is making fun of the very thing that we are talking about. Gwenpool is mocking the fact that Gwen Stacy is back in any shape or form.

In reality... kinda brilliant

I agree that certain characters listed here (Deadpool, HQ, Gwen Stacy, etc.) didn't have enough depth really to begin with.

They each have been misused..

I think that the bigger shame is musing the characters with great background stories/depth.

Wolverine - had a good run and was awesome for so long - toward the end it was pretty bad

Hulk - while I don't view him as being a really deep character, I would have thought Marvel could have done more with him. Sad to see him end up as the Avengers' dumb muscle.

but, the winner:

Spider-Man has been bent over this way, that way and essentially raped of everything classic about his character and the original story arc.... The best Spidey was when he was a geeky teen who was picked on, yet had such an awesome super-power....

The incarnations of Spidey are downright sad.... anyone recall Spider-Man 2099? 8 leg Spidey? What about all of the miserable spin-offs: ultimate SM, spectacular SM, Max Carnage, Clone saga, Web of SM, different volumes..., etc.

Spider-Man, easily. They don't know how to write him him unless he's a down-on-his-luck broke teenager.

Deadpool? Harley Quinn? Who cares? There's not enough depth to these characters to misuse.

+1 on Spider-man. Marvel's biggest hero has been incredibly abused over the years.

I agree that certain characters listed here (Deadpool, HQ, Gwen Stacy, etc.) didn't have enough depth really to begin with.

They each have been misused..

I think that the bigger shame is musing the characters with great background stories/depth.

Wolverine - had a good run and was awesome for so long - toward the end it was pretty bad

Hulk - while I don't view him as being a really deep character, I would have thought Marvel could have done more with him. Sad to see him end up as the Avengers' dumb muscle.

but, the winner:

Spider-Man has been bent over this way, that way and essentially raped of everything classic about his character and the original story arc.... The best Spidey was when he was a geeky teen who was picked on, yet had such an awesome super-power....

The incarnations of Spidey are downright sad.... anyone recall Spider-Man 2099? 8 leg Spidey? What about all of the miserable spin-offs: ultimate SM, spectacular SM, Max Carnage, Clone saga, Web of SM, different volumes..., etc.

Did you actually read Peter David's original run of Spider-Man 2099? It was pretty solid, IMO.

Bishop. Turning him into a moustaches twirling villain, then giving him the same injuries as Cable but on the opposite side. Just what the hell? Terrible.

You know what sells a lot of new comic books, rehashing old stories over and over. Wait, people complain about that.

Oh, I know, giving them new powers or abilities. Wait, people complain about that too.

Eureka, cross-overs with huge villains will do the trick. Wait, no that won't stop the complaining.

I got it, changing nothing and just use the most popular version.... Wait, people argue and complain about which one to use and which is the "best."

:blahblah:

Reading threads like these makes me feel like I am watching "Grumpy Old Men 3: Things were better in my Day."

(shrug)

Just throwing it out there, it is possible that many on here are outside of the target demographic for "today's" comic books...

As much as I agree with some of the other posts, it has to be Gwen Stacy hands down. I would have said that after Spider-Gwen caught on, but Gwenpool? Seriously?

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

Gwenorine?

:signfunny:

The skys the limit on these!

Gwenmariner

Gwen-Men? Or would it be X-Gwen?

Gwentastic Four

Gwenan the Barbarian

So many possibilities.

As much as I agree with some of the other posts, it has to be Gwen Stacy hands down. I would have said that after Spider-Gwen caught on, but Gwenpool? Seriously?

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

Gwenorine?

Gwenmariner

Gwentastic Four

Gwenan the Barbarian

So many possibilities.

I think there's a lot of potential with villains

Gwenpocalypse

Mr Gwenister

The Gwenpin

The Mandargwen

Gwentinels

Gwenivar Trask

Dr Gwentopus

Juggergwen

Agree with Spider-Man but also feel Deadpool and x-23. X-23 was retarded (meaning the character lagged not using it in a derogatory way for those that get offended easily) after the first series by lack of focus/direction. It was GREAT and had a terrific star that was really pretty original, but then they didn't know who she should be affiliated with etc. when she didn't need to be affiliated at all - that to me is what made the character great.

You know what sells a lot of new comic books, rehashing old stories over and over. Wait, people complain about that.

Oh, I know, giving them new powers or abilities. Wait, people complain about that too.

Eureka, cross-overs with huge villains will do the trick. Wait, no that won't stop the complaining.

I got it, changing nothing and just use the most popular version.... Wait, people argue and complain about which one to use and which is the "best."

:blahblah:

Reading threads like these makes me feel like I am watching "Grumpy Old Men 3: Things were better in my Day."

(shrug)

Just throwing it out there, it is possible that many on here are outside of the target demographic for "today's" comic books...

This grumpy old man can easily say the first 100 issues of Spider-Man can beat any 10 issue modern Spider-Man run.

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

Gwenorine?

Gwenmariner

Gwentastic Four

Gwenan the Barbarian

So many possibilities.

Gwenpocalypse

Mr Gwenister

The Gwenpin

The Mandargwen

Gwentinels

Gwenivar Trask

Dr Gwentopus

Juggergwen

x48scPL.jpg

4. Spider-Man - A hero I wanted to be as a kid to a guy I would never want to be again after reading his current title

Do what I do - pretend like everything that happened in Spidey continuity after about 1990 never, ever, ever happened.

4. Spider-Man - A hero I wanted to be as a kid to a guy I would never want to be again after reading his current title

Do what I do - pretend like everything that happened in Spidey continuity after about 1990 never, ever, ever happened.

So.....just act like YOU made a deal with Mephisto?

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

Gwenorine?

Gwenmariner

Gwentastic Four

Gwenan the Barbarian

So many possibilities.

Gwenpocalypse

Mr Gwenister

The Gwenpin

The Mandargwen

Gwentinels

Gwenivar Trask

Dr Gwentopus

Juggergwen

The Gwenpin, nice.

I think I have a few of those in my office.

:P

Bishop. Turning him into a moustaches twirling villain, then giving him the same injuries as Cable but on the opposite side. Just what the hell? Terrible.

I agree with this 100%. I'll add in Gambit. Marvel has taken two of their hottest 90's creations and pretty much neutered them over the years with a lack of creative direction.