• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic sellers on ebay: Please avoid ebay's Global Shipping Programme (GSP)!

81 posts in this topic

I knew right from the start GSP was BS. I reach the international market just fine, thank you. It's actually easier to ship internationally yourself than to go through the program.

That makes no sense. If I ship through the GSP I don't have to make a special trip to the PO. If I don't ship through the GSP I have to go to the PO. How is that easier?

Why do you have to make a special trip to the post office?

Yeah, I don't get that either - you can print both domestic and international postage labels online and have the packages picked up at your house.

The only difference is that, for USPS Priority International, the postage label needs to be placed in one of these customs pouches:

https://www.usps.com/shop/customs2976e.htm

(which is free and can also be ordered online)

I can't remember the last time I actually went to the PO :shrug:

Hmmm, you're making it sound too easy. I can't come up with any other excuses :D

The only issue I have with international shipping and printing a label at my desk is that you cannot send it registered. That's a service that has to be added at the PO.

And since most insurance coverage requires a signature over "x" dollars (usually $200 I think with CIS), you'll have to send a package registered to get the insurance coverage, since registered requires a signature.

Contrary to what many think, Priority International does not carry a signature and if the package is lost, you're SOL. Global Express does require a signature I think...but is very expensive.

Priority does require a signature. Only 1st class doesn't.

Sorry man, how I wish this were true -- but it isn't.

Shipping internationally - you need to ship express priority, global express, or registered to be able to even ask for a signature to be required.

Typical 1 slab box to the UK might cost $55-60 via express priority, and only $40 via regular priority. My insurance covers everything if signature is required so I could save $20/box. But I can't because you can't get a signature required on priority mail internationally, only priority express mail.

Joey

...but every regular priority shipped book I've ever received in the UK, I've had to sign for?

Oh, and I'm not so concerned about whether GSP is easier or not, I just don't want to see buyers get charged egregious extra fees that shouldn't be there

I don't do a huge amount of volume, just bigger average books (maybe 7-10/month go international), but when the duties are 20%+, it hurts the buyer and ultimately (I think) me, even if indirectly.

For what it's worth, I was defaulted into GSP for a month or so before I even realized I was in it (I thought that Kentucky address was some hub that buyers were using of their own accord,

Granted I didn't pay it much attention that month).

I dropped it after getting maybe 4-5 messages through eBay from buyers explaining all of this. So I dropped it and ship myself. Never had any problems (knock wood) and clients seem happy!

you just love canada.

Over 20% of my eBay sales are international. A large portion of those sales go to the UK.

"Comic Book - Printed Matter" on the customs form. I don't use GSP. Straight from me to my international customer - my packages don't need an extra stop in Kentucky.

You just love the uk.

I knew right from the start GSP was BS. I reach the international market just fine, thank you. It's actually easier to ship internationally yourself than to go through the program.

That makes no sense. If I ship through the GSP I don't have to make a special trip to the PO. If I don't ship through the GSP I have to go to the PO. How is that easier?

Why do you have to make a special trip to the post office?

Yeah, I don't get that either - you can print both domestic and international postage labels online and have the packages picked up at your house.

The only difference is that, for USPS Priority International, the postage label needs to be placed in one of these customs pouches:

https://www.usps.com/shop/customs2976e.htm

(which is free and can also be ordered online)

I can't remember the last time I actually went to the PO :shrug:

Hmmm, you're making it sound too easy. I can't come up with any other excuses :D

The only issue I have with international shipping and printing a label at my desk is that you cannot send it registered. That's a service that has to be added at the PO.

And since most insurance coverage requires a signature over "x" dollars (usually $200 I think with CIS), you'll have to send a package registered to get the insurance coverage, since registered requires a signature.

Contrary to what many think, Priority International does not carry a signature and if the package is lost, you're SOL. Global Express does require a signature I think...but is very expensive.

Priority does require a signature. Only 1st class doesn't.

Sorry man, how I wish this were true -- but it isn't.

Shipping internationally - you need to ship express priority, global express, or registered to be able to even ask for a signature to be required.

Typical 1 slab box to the UK might cost $55-60 via express priority, and only $40 via regular priority. My insurance covers everything if signature is required so I could save $20/box. But I can't because you can't get a signature required on priority mail internationally, only priority express mail.

That isn't true - you can add insurance to USPS priority international packages (either eBay's shipcover insurance or the regular USPS insurance) which satisfies the signature requirement for eBay's seller protection.

I use gsp for ebay. Its wonderful.

Great for sellers who want to sell internationally.

Terrible for buyers who want to buy internationally.

If you want to ship books to the UK just put this on your packages:

"Printed Matter - comic book" and Tariff code "4902900000".

They will not be charged for tariffs.

I use GSP because it is the only way I will sell internationally on eBay.

I just sold a CGC 9.8 TWD #10 to someone in Britain last week.

:)

-slym

I'd argue it's not. How many bidders (like me) automatically pass on lots using GSP?

Then you wouldn't be able to buy it from me anyway. No loss to either of us, no harm, and no foul.

-slym

I'd argue it's not. How many bidders (like me) automatically pass on lots using GSP?

"No additional import charges on delivery" is just insult to injury.

It's great if sellers want to wash their hands of the risk of shipping internationally.

It's obviously not great if someone want to maximize their market share.

I'm a serious buyer. And I wouldn't dream of contacting a GSP seller to negotiate shipping... The mere fact that they use GSP already tells me a seller lacks the sophistication or customer service skills to effectively manage international transactions anyway.

Wow. Just wow.

:facepalm:

-slym

Then you wouldn't be able to buy it from me anyway. No loss to either of us, no harm, and no foul.

-slym

Well, the loss to me is that I'm restricted access to something cool you're selling.

Maybe the loss to you is I'm not bidding against others and driving your price up.

:juggle::(

When I bought from a seller in UK, they shipped to US using DHL. The package arrived in perfect condition in less than 3 business days. I don't think this was a private seller, but a business/retailer with a brick and mortar store. Is this a viable option when shipping internationally? Is DHL better for a business but maybe cost prohibitive for a private seller?

After going back and checking my records, I bought this book from Silver-Acre in the UK through eBay. It was a $600 book and shipping was $50. They did not cut corners on the package or the packaging; it came in a sturdy package like the ones CGC uses and suffered no abuse that I could tell.

When I bought from a seller in UK, they shipped to US using DHL. The package arrived in perfect condition in less than 3 business days. I don't think this was a private seller, but a business/retailer with a brick and mortar store. Is this a viable option when shipping internationally? Is DHL better for a business but maybe cost prohibitive for a private seller?

DHL is the largest courier company in the world but in my experience, courier companies tend to be more expensive than just postage - most of the time.

I don't know if someone else has a different experience.

After going back and checking my records, I bought this book from Silver-Acre in the UK through eBay. It was a $600 book and shipping was $50. They did not cut corners on the package or the packaging; it came in a sturdy package like the ones CGC uses and suffered no abuse that I could tell.

There's never been an issue with sending from UK to the US, I've sent comics there from the UK loads of times and there never has been a problem. The only issue is the GSP from the US and their charging of inapplicable taxes. I still buy from the US, it's only sellers using GSP that I avoid.

Yup.

Being Canadian, when I see any US seller enrolled with the Global Shipping Program, I keep on trucking to the next seller that isn't.

Same.

I also avoid purchasing books from sellers who subscribe to the Global Shipping Program. The take is roughly 30% "Duties/Taxes", versus the 5% the Canadian government charges for Goods and Services Taxes on a used comic book.

It is OUTRIGHT theft on the part of Ebay and Pittney Bowes. They enrich their own coffers with the syphoned funds. It irks me to no end :mad:

I just wish there was a way to bring this to the attention of the Canadian/US government that monitors this type of activity. It is theft, pure and simple!!

Well, the loss to me is that I'm restricted access to something cool you're selling.

Maybe the loss to you is I'm not bidding against others and driving your price up.

:juggle::(

Again - no harm, no foul.

-slym

Not only that. They open and re-pack packages.

Often resulting in minor damage to the books.

Granted, it happened to me twice from the UK.

And this for just a small increase on your shipping/handling costs… Isn’t it great? (thumbs u

:sick:

Yup.

Being Canadian, when I see any US seller enrolled with the Global Shipping Program, I keep on trucking to the next seller that isn't.

Same.

I also avoid purchasing books from sellers who subscribe to the Global Shipping Program. The take is roughly 30% "Duties/Taxes", versus the 5% the Canadian government charges for Goods and Services Taxes on a used comic book.

It is OUTRIGHT theft on the part of Ebay and Pittney Bowes. They enrich their own coffers with the syphoned funds. It irks me to no end :mad:

I just wish there was a way to bring this to the attention of the Canadian/US government that monitors this type of activity. It is theft, pure and simple!!

Get in touch with Canada customs and excise, or visit their site, and ask whether they are aware of Pitney Bowes and the GSP. You may have better luck than I did on the UK site.