• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you like Alan Moore...

53 posts in this topic

:D

To the best of your knowledge, what monsters and/or gateways to dark and foreboding realms lie hidden within your beard?

Alan Moore This would have to have been the large, live moth that eventually found its way out of my beard during a visit to Steve Moore’s house a few years ago. While I understand that this doesn’t give a favourable impression of my grooming regimen, I have no idea how or when it got itself into its unenviable situation, and for all I know it may have hatched and grown to maturity knowing no other world than a maze of impenetrable grey tangles. Oh, and the other horrific thing or gateway to a dark realm to be found hidden in my beard, at least according The Onion’s Our Dumb World, is the Essex region.

What's the most Lovecraftian or horrific thing you've ever found in your beard? Thank you!!

Alan Moore This would have to have been the large, live moth that eventually found its way out of my beard during a visit to Steve Moore’s house a few years ago. While I understand that this doesn’t give a favourable impression of my grooming regimen, I have no idea how or when it got itself into its unenviable situation, and for all I know it may have hatched and grown to maturity knowing no other world than a maze of impenetrable grey tangles. Oh, and the other horrific thing or gateway to a dark realm to be found hidden in my beard, at least according The Onion’s Our Dumb World, is the Essex region.

Very interesting! He took time to answer questions even about his DC work. The most interesting I thought was this one in reference to the end of Killing Joke. I wish someone would have asked if there is anything DC could do to repair that relationship.

QUESTION: For YEARS we have been left to wonder, due to the wonderful ambiguity of the sound effects, shadowplay, and action happening off-scene in The Killing Joke. what the ending really means and if Batman actually kills the Joker. Now they are making a movie. If you are directly involved, will you finally answer the question?

Alan Moore As with all of the work which I do not own, I’m afraid that I have no interest in either the original book, or in the apparently forthcoming cartoon version which I heard about a week or two ago. I have asked for my name to be removed from it, and for any monies accruing from it to be sent to the artist, which is my standard position with all of this...material. Actually, with The Killing Joke, I have never really liked it much as a work – although I of course remember Brian Bolland’s art as being absolutely beautiful – simply because I thought it was far too violent and sexualised a treatment for a simplistic comic book character like Batman and a regrettable misstep on my part. So, Pradeep, I have no interest in Batman, and thus any influence I may have had upon current portrayals of the character is pretty much lost on me. And David, for the record, my intention at the end of that book was to have the two characters simply experiencing a brief moment of lucidity in their ongoing very weird and probably fatal relationship with each other, reaching a moment where they both perceive the hell that they are in, and can only laugh at their preposterous situation. A similar chuckle is shared by the doomed couple at the end of the remarkable Jim Thompson’s original novel, The Getaway.

My question...

when is he going to do a signing with a CGC facilitator in the area?

:wishluck:

Very interesting! He took time to answer questions even about his DC work. The most interesting I thought was this one in reference to the end of Killing Joke. I wish someone would have asked if there is anything DC could do to repair that relationship.

QUESTION: For YEARS we have been left to wonder, due to the wonderful ambiguity of the sound effects, shadowplay, and action happening off-scene in The Killing Joke. what the ending really means and if Batman actually kills the Joker. Now they are making a movie. If you are directly involved, will you finally answer the question?

Alan Moore As with all of the work which I do not own, I’m afraid that I have no interest in either the original book, or in the apparently forthcoming cartoon version which I heard about a week or two ago. I have asked for my name to be removed from it, and for any monies accruing from it to be sent to the artist, which is my standard position with all of this...material. Actually, with The Killing Joke, I have never really liked it much as a work – although I of course remember Brian Bolland’s art as being absolutely beautiful – simply because I thought it was far too violent and sexualised a treatment for a simplistic comic book character like Batman and a regrettable misstep on my part. So, Pradeep, I have no interest in Batman, and thus any influence I may have had upon current portrayals of the character is pretty much lost on me. And David, for the record, my intention at the end of that book was to have the two characters simply experiencing a brief moment of lucidity in their ongoing very weird and probably fatal relationship with each other, reaching a moment where they both perceive the hell that they are in, and can only laugh at their preposterous situation. A similar chuckle is shared by the doomed couple at the end of the remarkable Jim Thompson’s original novel, The Getaway.

Finally, this silly argument is put to rest!

Finally, this silly argument is put to rest!

amen. I always read it that way when it came out. but the more recent discussions had begun to sway me a bit, as they do match the actual panels pretty well. But if Alan Moore is telling the truth here, guess it only proves that a clever argument can be made if the drawings leave the door open to alternate interpretations. Fading out cinematically into the puddle ripples wasn't the clearest illustration of what Moore says he intended… but it WAS beautifully done by Bolland...

I like Alan Moore's stuff but he needs to lighten up already take the money a give it to staving kids or donate to down on their luck comic creators.

So fanboys can have their comics? Why would he feel the need to prostitute himself for charity just so some 40 year old in Toledo can read an Alan Moore Batman story? Sounds as unnecessary to me as I'm sure it does to him. lol

I like Alan Moore's stuff but he needs to lighten up already take the money a give it to staving kids or donate to down on their luck comic creators.

So fanboys can have their comics? Why would he feel the need to prostitute himself for charity just so some 40 year old in Toledo can read an Alan Moore Batman story? Sounds as unnecessary to me as I'm sure it does to him. lol

But he owes the readers!! lol

'Prostitute himself'? Ridiculous hyperbole much?! These companies already own the properties. If he doesn't want his name attached, that's his choice, but accepting royalties for them being translated to another medium certainly does not equate to prostitution.

lol you might need to lighten up just as much as him. :baiting:

'Prostitute himself'? Ridiculous hyperbole much?! These companies already own the properties. If he doesn't want his name attached, that's his choice, but accepting royalties for them being translated to another medium certainly does not equate to prostitution.

Those 'properties' are exactly that... Corporate owned items who's only function is to continue to make more money for their owners. It's the reason why many creative people leave the Big Two - ownership of the properties, through editorial, have taken creative freedom out of the process, making it less of a creatively satisfactory experience for a talentled creator to work on.

The end game is simply a financial transaction beneficial for both parties - one through a desire to make money and the other through a desire to pretend to be creatively satisfied - hence the comparison to prostitution.

Some still go there, because of a childhood love of the characters, but eventually become dissatisfied and move on to more creative control of their own work - but we hear about it and see it every day right here on these boards - either the complaining that moderns 'suck' and just keep repeating the same things over and over again or that all modern collectors care about is variants and flipping worthless books.

Most of the, (most of? Maybe all of) the real creativity in comics today is OUTSIDE the big two, in non-superhero books. It's not surprising, someone of Moore's talent would be much more comfortable in that realm.

Doesn't seem much different.

lol you might need to lighten up just as much as him. :baiting:

Hey, I'm as light as can be! I just think as real fans of his work, we should branch out and and follow and support his non-DC work, some of which is really fantastic - Providence is amazing and one of the best reads out there right now!