• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

The Fleischers used the process in dozens of cartoons.

Wow, really interesting, I read the article and this was much more sophisticated than I thought. Has anyone ever written a book on the Fleischer Studio? My interest is definately piqued.

As an aside, Ub Iwerks grandson works down the hall from me. I keep meaning to ask him questions about his grandfather but haven't got around to it yet.

Thanks, bangzoom, these heuristic approaches to combining motion and perspective are really fun to see. It is remarkable how their relationship to modern CG animation mirrors how the phenomenological experiments by early renaissance painters relate to the invention of the linear perspective in the 15th century. You can almost sense the allnighters that the animators at Fleischer must have pulled trying to recreate these complex effects without a formal understanding of the underlying math.

Thanks, bangzoom, these heuristic approaches to combining motion and perspective are really fun to see. It is remarkable how their relationship to modern CG animation mirrors how the phenomenological experiments by early renaissance painters relate to the invention of the linear perspective in the 15th century. You can almost sense the allnighters that the animators at Fleischer must have pulled trying to recreate these complex effects without a formal understanding of the underlying math.

I wouldn't sell them short on the math. If they were able to build that equipment in a machine shop on the premises, I suspect they had a pretty good understanding of the math behind the perspective. As for the all nighters - NO DOUBT!!

Wow, really interesting, I read the article and this was much more sophisticated than I thought. Has anyone ever written a book on the Fleischer Studio? My interest is definately piqued.

Leslie Cabarga wrote a book, The Fleischer Story, that was published in 1976.

Max Fleischer was responsible for a number of technological innovations, including the Rotoscope which he patented in 1915.

rotoscope.jpg

Illustration from Cabarga's book

I thought this was worthy of a cross post here from esquirecomics' thread in General on the Geppi museum:

GEM---March09-055.jpg

It's funny how some of these items probably don't stand out to 99% of the people who see them, yet for others they are very special.

This picture is the first time I ever see what I assume is the Leonard Brown/Crescent City copy of March of Comics 4. Considering grade and rarity, I don't know of 3 other existing Disney comic books that I'd consider more desirable than this copy.

Just picked up this Walt Disney Comics #31... First Barks WDCS story. :cloud9:

76356.jpg

Allow me to be the first... :golfclap:

Oooo - and nice PQ too. :headbang:

Edited by AJD

Thanks, Andrew! :foryou:

I have fallen for these war-era duck books in a big way. :) More to come!

I know what you mean - these books have real appeal. If the local post office hadn't returned a parcel to the US for no good reason, I'd have some of my own to post here. Maybe in another couple of weeks. :frustrated:

Thanks all...

And this thread seems like a good place to mention, that Matthew/shiverbones has a lot of great GA ducks on the 'bay right now, finishing Sunday...just a really nice lineup of stuff. I'm trying for a few of 'em, but even so...hope he does very well. (thumbs u