• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Aren't those Mickey's nephew's Morty and Ferdy in the ad below, not Mickey and Minnie? Might explain the solid eyes.

Great books all around though!

And WDCS #23. Electric colors on this one too. I also like the "eyeless" Mickey & Minnie ad on the back. (The interior strip artists were already drawing them with eyeballs by now, but I guess the ad guy didn't get the memo!)

75712.jpg

Our old friend "Josh's Comics and Cards" on ebay is certainly keeping busy. I was the underbidder on a bunch of slightly restored WDCSs in the Heritage auction last night...and today, all those same books are in his ebay store priced at 2x to 4x the finishing prices, before he even has the books in hand. doh!:frustrated:

Great covers. Note that on the golf cover (WDCS 140?), Donald's eyes are red as opposed to the originally published cover. Barks deliberate left the pupils empty with a note to the editor that they should be filled in red to express rage. For some reason, they ignored his wish and made them solid black.

Our old friend "Josh's Comics and Cards" on ebay is certainly keeping busy. I was the underbidder on a bunch of slightly restored WDCSs in the Heritage auction last night...and today, all those same books are in his ebay store priced at 2x to 4x the finishing prices, before he even has the books in hand. doh!:frustrated:
Here's hoping all the restoration is noted if he cracks the books out.

Thanks for posting these great covers. Issue 127 has always been a personal favorite of mine as I bought my copy for $1. at one of Seuling's New York shows in the early 70's. Until this point I had only been able to read the old Bark's tales in reprint form, but now I had an original in my hands! My copy has no staples, an original printing defect but it didn't stop me from being transfixed by this cover and the great stories inside! I am a long way from having a complete run of these books but I think I will someday.

Scan courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.

75904.jpg.8df43d3d07b05738d04d0ffd45e89934.jpg

This awesome Barks portfolio arrived today and I figured I had so share it so I took pics of the back and front of each page. I paid a whopping $15 for it so I am very pleased. :)

Nice - I just won the same thing off of Heritage for about $30. Glad you took the time to post all the covers for everyone to see! (thumbs u

It's really a beautiful collection and well worth the price!

Thanks for posting these great covers. Issue 127 has always been a personal favorite of mine as I bought my copy for $1. at one of Seuling's New York shows in the early 70's. Until this point I had only been able to read the old Bark's tales in reprint form, but now I had an original in my hands! My copy has no staples, an original printing defect but it didn't stop me from being transfixed by this cover and the great stories inside! I am a long way from having a complete run of these books but I think I will someday.

I think that WDCS 127 was also my first purchase when I started collecting again in the 70s. I purchased it in Houston at one of the comic book and sci fi conventions. I purchased a lots of Four Colors after that but there were always bargain copies of WDCS to be found and some great stories. High grade was a little tougher to find. I was going to post my copy but that may be the one in the GCD. I don't recognize it for sure but a lot of my Uncle Scrooge copies are in there.

bb

I think that WDCS 127 was also my first purchase when I started collecting again in the 70s. I purchased it in Houston at one of the comic book and sci fi conventions. I purchased a lots of Four Colors after that but there were always bargain copies of WDCS to be found and some great stories. High grade was a little tougher to find. I was going to post my copy but that may be the one in the GCD. I don't recognize it for sure but a lot of my Uncle Scrooge copies are in there.

bb

You have inspired me, I will pull my copy of 127 to re-read and post a scan. I followed a similar duck trail (pun!) after those early WDC&S purchases; moving on to buy the majority of the Barks Four Color run in the mid 70's. I remember coming home from one New York show with a valise I had borrowed from my Dad completly stuffed with Bark's books. Still missing 4 Four Color issues (9,29,62,159) with the 62 being a personal grail. Later, I picked up an original owner run of most of the Four Colors from 178 forward around 1978. These are my prized copies. I may post my doubles for sale on the boards one of these weekends. All lower grade reader copies. On the other hand those reader copies are fun to read! I have multiple copies of coverless 178's that always seemed to pop up back then, Anyone want one? Make an offer I can't refuse.

Definitely has to be one of the absolute top US slabbed sets. Just beauties. I've sent a couple of people your way lately, hopefully you found some books with them.