• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Just picked up this Walt Disney Comics #31... First Barks WDCS story. :cloud9:

76356.jpg

Congrats Point Five :golfclap::golfclap:

What a great key book.

WDCS #31 was one of my personal grails when I first set out to collect Barks' Ducks just eight to nine months ago.

I just got my copy in the mail two days ago :headbang:

I've been looking at it every night for the last three days :cloud9:

I'm surprised to see the Barks Donald Duck story on page 5. What was on page 1-4 and how long did it take until the Barks stories started to kick off the book?

If the INDUCKS is correct, you have:

First page - a one page DD gag then a 3-page Little Hiawatha story then the Barks story.

.5 should be able to confirm that. :wishluck:

The insignia on the inside front cover sounds pretty nifty too -

us_wdc_031_00A_001.jpg

Starting with #32 he is writing them as well. #31 was a -script he was given, that he changed a bit. The editors liked his changes so much they gave him the writing job with #32, the 1st one he wrote & drew.

Edited by shiverbones

Starting with #32 he is writing them as well. #31 was a -script he was given, that he changed a bit. The editors liked hos changed so much they gave him the writing job with #32, the 1st one he wrote & drew.

Thanks for the info :applause:

Starting with #32 he is writing them as well. #31 was a -script he was given, that he changed a bit. The editors liked his changes so much they gave him the writing job with #32, the 1st one he wrote & drew.

It didn't take them long to regognize talent!

Anyone remember a Disney magazine from the early seventies that had great covers but interior pages that were articles, puzzles and such? It was on the stands in the magazine area and must have been Disney's attempt to hit a different market. I used to buy them for the covers but still preferred the Gold Key comics and escpecially the Disney digest which really packed in the stories.

Thanks for the scan, PF. I always loved reading the stories in the first edition. Sadly, my own copy is in a CGC holder so I have to do with the reprints.

The "Collected Works" shows a memo that Dorothy Strebe from Disney's publications department sent to Barks in November 1942. I don't want to scan it for copyright reasons but here's what it says:

"Dear Carl,

Here is a 10-page story for Donald Duck. Hope that you like it....you are to stage it, of course...and if you see that it can be strengthened, or that it deviates from Donald either in narration or action, please make the improvements.

Do you suppose you can have this completed, in two weeks... by the 23rd. The price has gone up: it is not $12.50 per page instead of $10.00 per page.

Please let me know right away, will you?

Golly, I didn't know you had left...

Sincerely,

Title lettering should be merely:

Walt Disney Presents Donald Duck

or

Donald Duck by Walt Disney

--or whichever lettering fits into the design of your opening panel".

I'm surprised to see the Barks Donald Duck story on page 5. What was on page 1-4 and how long did it take until the Barks stories started to kick off the book?

If the INDUCKS is correct, you have:

First page - a one page DD gag then a 3-page Little Hiawatha story then the Barks story.

.5 should be able to confirm that. :wishluck:

Confirmed! (thumbs u

What a great key book.

WDCS #31 was one of my personal grails when I first set out to collect Barks' Ducks just eight to nine months ago.

Congrats to you too. :applause: Post it sometime!

What a great key book.

Congrats to you too. :applause: Post it sometime!

I will .... I got to get a new scanner on Sunday, my HP just broke down (after 8 years which I guest isn't all that bad).

As promised, here is the scan of the arrival of what was truly a 'personal' grail book for me. Not only because it was the 1st Barks WDCS but also something that I was determine to own one day.

Back in the 80's, I first saw a copy of #31 at a local comic con when I was 12. I remember asking the dealer to please take it off the rack so I could see it. Instead of a polite 'No' (which I would have understood later on being only 12), that obnoxious S.O.B. told me that he doesn't carry "bargain bin books" and to check on the other side of the room for books that "I" could afford.

Currently tied for highest graded on the Census and it sits on my shelf where I could take it down to look at whenever I want. :headbang:

-Hank

WDCS_31.jpg

WDCS_31back.jpg

Congrats Hank! :applause:

I will always be puzzled why dealers act this way to kids. Do they think these kids will stay 12 years old forever?

I took my 10 year old nephew around to several dealers at the 2008 SD Con and he couldn't have received a friendlier or more respectful experience that he did with Bunky Brian, Joe Veranault, Richie Evans, Mike Goldman and others.

Congrats Hank! :applause:

I will always be puzzled why dealers act this way to kids. Do they think these kids will stay 12 years old forever?

I took my 10 year old nephew around to several dealers at the 2008 SD Con and he couldn't have received a friendlier or more respectful experience that he did with Bunky Brian, Joe Veranault, Richie Evans, Mike Goldman and others.

How much did you end up getting for him?

Jack