• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,459 posts in this topic

Congrats Hank! :applause:

I will always be puzzled why dealers act this way to kids. Do they think these kids will stay 12 years old forever?

I took my 10 year old nephew around to several dealers at the 2008 SD Con and he couldn't have received a friendlier or more respectful experience that he did with Bunky Brian, Joe Veranault, Richie Evans, Mike Goldman and others.

How much did you end up getting for him?

Jack

He got about $25 worth of free stuff!!

I will always be puzzled why dealers act this way to kids. Do they think these kids will stay 12 years old forever?

Hi Tim, Beats me (shrug)

Some folks just aren't capable of being nice and some just don't get it. I've been in sales all my life and one of the first things I've learn is that today's small fish is next years 'whale'.

- Hank

I deliberately keep a low profile and only a handful of collectors and dealers have met me in person. At the SDCC in 2007, the only convention I've ever been to, I asked a dealer if he had any exceptional Golden Age Disney comics. He was clearly sizing me up. He looked at my badge and replied "So you're from XXX, huh?", where XXX is a small town known for having some of the highest real estate values in the US. I ended that conversation quickly and walked away with a smile.

GAfan, I won WDCS 3, 4, and 10 in the same auction along with a few other books. I am currently talking with the buyer of the 27 9.6, who is a good friend of mine, and hoping I can make a trade for that. You did exceptionally well with your purchases - I doubt we'll ever see prices this low again: you can count the times someone has offered a complete run of high grade WDCS on a severely amputated set of fingers.

GAFan: that is such a beautiful book. Congrats on the win. Whenever I set up at shows, I love when kids come by. I don't care what the book is, I'm willing to show it to someone. I've seen and known too many people of means that don't fit any common perceptions. Additionally, it never hurts to show someone a book and let that seed of desire grow, even if they can't afford it at the time. Keep people interested in comics and we all benefit.

GAFan: that is such a beautiful book. Congrats on the win. Whenever I set up at shows, I love when kids come by. I don't care what the book is, I'm willing to show it to someone. I've seen and known too many people of means that don't fit any common perceptions. Additionally, it never hurts to show someone a book and let that seed of desire grow, even if they can't afford it at the time. Keep people interested in comics and we all benefit.

Thanks Transplant. I agree with you totally. Getting others, especially youths, into this hobby is a great thing for all of us. - Hank

I deliberately keep a low profile and only a handful of collectors and dealers have met me in person. At the SDCC in 2007, the only convention I've ever been to, I asked a dealer if he had any exceptional Golden Age Disney comics. He was clearly sizing me up. He looked at my badge and replied "So you're from XXX, huh?", where XXX is a small town known for having some of the highest real estate values in the US. I ended that conversation quickly and walked away with a smile.

GAfan, I won WDCS 3, 4, and 10 in the same auction along with a few other books. I am currently talking with the buyer of the 27 9.6, who is a good friend of mine, and hoping I can make a trade for that. You did exceptionally well with your purchases - I doubt we'll ever see prices this low again: you can count the times someone has offered a complete run of high grade WDCS on a severely amputated set of fingers.

tb, good for you for walking away. Looks like you got some awesome Duck books. Hope you get that beautiful #27 also. :wishluck:

-Hank

I took my 10 year old nephew around to several dealers at the 2008 SD Con and he couldn't have received a friendlier or more respectful experience that he did with Bunky Brian, Joe Veranault, Richie Evans, Mike Goldman and others.

How much did you end up getting for him?

Jack

He got about $25 worth of free stuff!!

Ohhhh --- and I thought you were offering him in trade!

Jack

Hi all - hope I'm not interrupting...been on the boards awhile but not this particular thread. Here's a book my dad bought off the rack. It's still in decent shape except for a 3/8" tear on the right FC that pretty much goes through the book.

FourColor159.jpg

Well folks. After a couple of months of negotiating and thanks to the strengthening US$, I was finally able to cajole Tim (tth2) into selling me what may the holy grail for Uncle Scrooge collectors. Should be here in about a week:

743112-fc178.jpg

Hi all - hope I'm not interrupting...been on the boards awhile but not this particular thread. Here's a book my dad bought off the rack. It's still in decent shape except for a 3/8" tear on the right FC that pretty much goes through the book.

FourColor159.jpg

Nice book Danny :applause:

Feel free to interrupt anytime :)

Well folks. After a couple of months of negotiating and thanks to the strengthening US$, I was finally able to cajole Tim (tth2) into selling me what may the holy grail for Uncle Scrooge collectors. Should be here in about a week:

743112-fc178.jpg

Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!

743112-fc178.jpg

Holey Crimoley. That is one of my all-time grail books. Please remember me if you ever decide to pass it on.

FourColor159.jpg

Great book! One of my favorite duck stories. I still remember reading this for the first time. Barks evokes amazing atmospherics with his depiction of the fog and the dungeon. No wonder they were selling these things in the milliions back then!

Look at that cover, it is brilliant. Every little touch pulls you in. The partially dilapidated tower, the cracked stones, the framing of the ducks, the disembodied skeleton arm! True genius!

I wish my Dad had saved his comics. Instead, he just pointed out the books he had from the Steranko Guide to Comics, all early 40's Superman / Captain Marvel. Killer!

Unfortunately, after being laid off, I had to make some hard choices in order to keep making payments on the mortgage. :(

I'm crying for both of you !

Tim, hopefully the economy will get better for all of us. :wishluck:

Transplant, congrats on that AWESOME book ! :golfclap:

- Hank

Thanks everyone. This book was been a quest of mine for awhile. Tim's copy, now my copy, is stunning. I look forward to its arrvial.

Another person requested I list FCs originally owned. Let's see..........

Thanks everyone. This book was been a quest of mine for awhile. Tim's copy, now my copy, is stunning. I look forward to its arrvial.

Yes, I think you'll receive it on the NEXT April 1. :devil:

For everyone who's expressed their concern about my situation here or in PMs, thank you very much, and apologies for stringing you along. :foryou:

Yes, I think you'll receive it on the NEXT April 1. :devil:

For everyone who's expressed their concern about my situation here or in PMs, thank you very much, and apologies for stringing you along. :foryou:

Dang, I was already celebrating the thought of another crisis related fire sale.