• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone. This book was been a quest of mine for awhile. Tim's copy, now my copy, is stunning. I look forward to its arrvial.

Yes, I think you'll receive it on the NEXT April 1. :devil:

For everyone who's expressed their concern about my situation here or in PMs, thank you very much, and apologies for stringing you along. :foryou:

Why you :censored:

It did strike me as surprising that with this one in the bag, Transplant was miffed at missing Shiverbones' copy in the Marketplace Forum.

I should have known better :tonofbricks:

Thanks everyone. This book was been a quest of mine for awhile. Tim's copy, now my copy, is stunning. I look forward to its arrvial.

For everyone who's expressed their concern about my situation here or in PMs, thank you very much, and apologies for stringing you along. :foryou:

Dang, I was already celebrating the thought of another crisis related fire sale.

lol

I guess the sad thing is it's all too believable in this day and age. I was tempted to launch into a tirade against Transplant for how he knew I'd been laid-off and needed the money but still kept grinding me for every nickel, but figured this thread had been derailed enough.

Dang, I was already celebrating the thought of another crisis related fire sale.

lol

I guess the sad thing is it's all too believable in this day and age. I was tempted to launch into a tirade against Transplant for how he knew I'd been laid-off and needed the money but still kept grinding me for every nickel, but figured this thread had been derailed enough.

Tim was such a good sport. We didn't even discuss it in advance. He saw my post and just went with it. But I did figure this might tip people off:

Another person requested I list FCs originally owned. Let's see..........

A-p-r-I-l- F-o-o-l-s

14 of 24 and coincidentally my 14th as well. It's not a FC 178 in 9.6, but I like it!

That's not spine roll, it's printed a bit off-centre. I've mentioned that the production quality wasn't done by the A team on these...

For the shooters among you, Donald is shown shooting left-handed* - as all sensible people do - in the big picture drawn by an unknown artist, and right-handed by Barks. Question: did Barks always draw DD right-handed? (I've never thought about this before and now I have to check some other stories to see!)

*Strictly speaking, left-eyed.

mobil14.jpg

Well folks. After a couple of months of negotiating and thanks to the strengthening US$, I was finally able to cajole Tim (tth2) into selling me what may the holy grail for Uncle Scrooge collectors. Should be here in about a week:

743112-fc178.jpg

Ye Cats!!!! :o

oh...nevermind... doh!

Edited by shiverbones

Well folks. After a couple of months of negotiating and thanks to the strengthening US$, I was finally able to cajole Tim (tth2) into selling me what may the holy grail for Uncle Scrooge collectors. Should be here in about a week:

743112-fc178.jpg

Late to the party aren't you...... :baiting:

tim, is that sucker a 9.8 without the bindery tear? I forgot how nice that copy was

It's pretty much close to perfect, and I remember raving to Mark Wilson after receiving it as to how nice it was. Of course with the non-glossy paper stock that was used for the cover of this particular issue, it doesn't pop as much as the typical rich glossy Dell covers from that era.

The book below belongs to a friend of mine. I've been comparing it to my own 9.2 copy since I have something that he wants and know he would agree to a trade. Both books are gorgous with almost identical eye appeal. The biggest difference is that the 9.2 has very minor technical flaws, including a stress line at the spine.

The conclusion I've come to has surprised me somewhat: I just don't think there's enough difference to justify the price difference (FMV is probably 2x, I would think). Yes, when I look at the two books next to each other I can tell the difference, but if I were to look at either of them in isolation (and without the CGC label) I don't think there would any measurable difference in how I would perceive them. It's a tough call, of course, and I might still change my mind.

In any case, I love this cover - it's really something to see it in such a nice condition.

wdcs27_96.jpg

Edit: here's a scan of the 9.2 for comparison (sorry for the quality, I don't have the book out right now). Although they look different in the pictures (which were made by different scanners), the colors are virtually identical - looks like they might have come from the same stack of file copies.

wdcs27_900.jpg

Edited by tb

tim, is that sucker a 9.8 without the bindery tear? I forgot how nice that copy was

It's pretty much close to perfect, and I remember raving to Mark Wilson after receiving it as to how nice it was. Of course with the non-glossy paper stock that was used for the cover of this particular issue, it doesn't pop as much as the typical rich glossy Dell covers from that era.

If it had been printed on glossy paper with Scrooge on the cover it would be an even more sought after book than it already is.

The book below belongs to a friend of mine. I've been comparing it to my own 9.2 copy since I have something that he wants and know he would agree to a trade. Both books are gorgous with almost identical eye appeal. The biggest difference is that the 9.2 has very minor technical flaws, including a stress line at the spine.

The conclusion I've come to has surprised me somewhat: I just don't think there's enough difference to justify the price difference (FMV is probably 2x, I would think). Yes, when I look at the two books next to each other I can tell the difference, but if I were to look at either of them in isolation (and without the CGC label) I don't think there would any measurable difference in how I would perceive them. It's a tough call, of course, and I might still change my mind.

In any case, I love this cover - it's really something to see it in such a nice condition.

Wow - that 9.6 is certainly a beautiful book. But what you are describing is simply the law of diminishing returns. Of course there is not much difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 and of course the 9.6 is a little bit nicer. The question we all have to answer (well, those of us with limited comics budgets anyway) is where we sit on the grade/$ curve. For me, if I could have every book in my collection at 8.5 I'd be a happy camper. I love the really high grade stuff, but the bucks required to own them usually put me off. Only you can answer the question-and only for you.

I'm sure that answer helped no-one. :insane:

You are on fire Jon! :applause:

Thanks Bill. :foryou: These early WDCS books are really hitting the sweet spot right now. (And despite the high numbers in my shiny new Guide... they are surprisingly affordable!)

743112-fc178.jpg

Late to the party aren't you...... :baiting:

yup :)

Wow - that 9.6 is certainly a beautiful book. But what you are describing is simply the law of diminishing returns. Of course there is not much difference between a 9.2 and a 9.6 and of course the 9.6 is a little bit nicer. The question we all have to answer (well, those of us with limited comics budgets anyway) is where we sit on the grade/$ curve. For me, if I could have every book in my collection at 8.5 I'd be a happy camper. I love the really high grade stuff, but the bucks required to own them usually put me off. Only you can answer the question-and only for you.

I'm sure that answer helped no-one. :insane:

For me it comes down to two things:

How much of a premium am I willing to pay for something in nice condition that is doomed to disintegrate over time anyway. The differences you descibe that could result in a highly significant monetary outlay just don't make sense to me.

Secondly, I am going to de-slab that book and read it. Careful as I may be the chances of downgrading the book from a 9.6 to a 9.2 are a real possibility. Since I intend to handle the book the cash outlay doesn't make sense in my case.

For others this way of collecting makes sense and I think the hobby may thank them in the long run for maintaining high caliber books in great condition in these CGC cases..