• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

This is me after going to the post office yesterday: :banana:

Here's why. Exhibit A is the initial item in the southern hemisphere chapter of the beak abuse appreciation society:

wdcs70.jpg

Those of you with longish memories might remember my bizarre rant in defence of the cover of #108 when you were talking about it. You were very polite when pointing out that you were all talking about FC108 and I was ranting about WDCS108. :blush: Anyhoo... I decided that I really needed a 108 for myself. I found this nice one:

wdcs108.jpg

And I bought these two nice ones from the same dealer. I remain very pleased.

wdcs139.jpg

wdcs172.jpg

You should be. Those are really nice copies.

Too bad I didn't think of it earlier but I should have suggested a swap for the Little Rascals FC for this one Duck I don't need but have kicking around. Oh well.

77284.jpg

You should be. Those are really nice copies.

Too bad I didn't think of it earlier but I should have suggested a swap for the Little Rascals FC for this one Duck I don't need but have kicking around. Oh well.

Nice thought, but as it happens I have that one. It has my favourite ever Barks story in it - the beautiful economics parable that starts with a tornado picking up Scrooges money. When friends make the make mistake of asking me why I like Disney comics, they usually end up with the volume of the Barks library open to that story. Mostly there are no further questions. I like to think that's because they have seen the light...

Great duck pickups, Andrew!

There's something very funny about just seeing the rear end of one of the nephew ducks on the cover of #139. I'm surprised some editor didn't strike that down....

Great duck pickups, Andrew!

There's something very funny about just seeing the rear end of one of the nephew ducks on the cover of #139. I'm surprised some editor didn't strike that down....

The requirements to the covers were very constraining. The figures were to be as big as possible and seen from the front, and their heads were to be as large as possible relative to the body (larger than in the interior stories). You can often tell how Barks was struggling to satisfy all the conditions and this is a good example. Frequently, his drafts would be rejected and he would go through several iterations before they were accepted.

Those of you with longish memories might remember my bizarre rant in defence of the cover of #108 when you were talking about it. You were very polite when pointing out that you were all talking about FC108 and I was ranting about WDCS108. :blush: Anyhoo... I decided that I really needed a 108 for myself. I found this nice one:

wdcs108.jpg

I love this cover! Congratulations and a beautiful copy to boot!! Do you read your books? I always read mine and I was always bummed about having to read all the Mickey Mouse serials out of order.when I would get back issue Comics and Stories.

wdcs108.jpg

I love this cover! Congratulations and a beautiful copy to boot!! Do you read your books? I always read mine and I was always bummed about having to read all the Mickey Mouse serials out of order.when I would get back issue Comics and Stories.

This must be a fan favorite based on the number of times Barks had to paint it.

bb

I love reading my books. I tend not to read the serials out of order. I have a spreadsheet page with the MM serials so that I can keep track of what parts I have. I go and read then when I have all of the story. Between the US and Australian editions, I have quite a few complete ones now.

Even though it isn't a comic book, I thought that with our economy on the verge of entering a depression, if it hasn't already, that this 12-panel magazine story would be timely. This used to belong to my old friend, Leonard Brown, and I think he told me it came from an issue of Fortune Magazine, but I never checked it out. Hope you enjoy it.

Richard

DDDodgesDepressionemail.jpg

I love reading my books. I tend not to read the serials out of order. I have a spreadsheet page with the MM serials so that I can keep track of what parts I have. I go and read then when I have all of the story. Between the US and Australian editions, I have quite a few complete ones now.

That is great! I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. I always figured when I retired I would finish putting the run together and have the time to read it. We'll see if that dream ever comes true!

Since everybody loves Spanish Main so much :cloud9:

My dad got these in the Heritage Sig. Auction (along w/ many other Duck items lol ), the Preliminary Sketch is amazing and bigger than we expected, the color copy was colored by Barks himself too.

Enjoy. :grin: (thumbs u :applause:

77725.jpg.44906935d4ed1f2f9ea7da5c5da012bf.jpg

77726.jpg.2dd0ae80a1020de5ce27b66b9e9c77fb.jpg

Since everybody loves Spanish Main so much :cloud9:

My dad got these in the Heritage Sig. Auction (along w/ many other Duck items lol ), the Preliminary Sketch is amazing and bigger than we expected, the color copy was colored by Barks himself too.

Enjoy. :grin: (thumbs u :applause:

These are amazing. What a score! :cloud9:

Here are some more WDCS pickups...with thanks to Matthew for these!

I adore the cover of #32...how cute is that. These early Barks books do hit the spot.

77749.jpg

77750.jpg

77751.jpg

77752.jpg