• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

What are the interiors like? Comics or puzzles and such??

That's basically correct. More pages of illustrated stories than comics. The comics are usually just what, 2 or 4 pages of strip reprints? (I assume they are reprints, maybe they are new. Anyone?) Plus puzzles and ads for Disney stuff.

Yes, the strip pages are reprints while some of the other illos are new to the mag but are a single page.

For example, the MMM from January 1938 has:

1 page of Ducky Symphony reprinted from 1937 -

fr_gb_0011bb_001.jpg

1 page of MM reprinted from 1936 -

us_mm_0221c_001.jpg

And here they are:

All hail tb.

Now that was an amazing thread! I had an inkling of what those books contained but to see every issue of Volume 1 for the most part in beautiful condition was simply amazing.

I was most impressed by the variety of material on offer in the magazine and I can only hope we get to see some more of this collection so we can see how the magazine morphs into the modern WDC & S comic book.

I will certainly be keeping my eyes open for a copy for my collection after looking at those books. Does anyone know if this was an effort by the Disney Studios or work that was jobbed out to Kay Kamen who put the original Comics and Stories together?

Kay Kamen is a Disney Legend by the way and was involved in much of the early merchandising efforts for the company.

I am going to give that MMM thread a bump for fun!

I wish I could lay my hands on the thread that tb posts page after page of glorious scans of his MMMs. Although if I remember correctly, he took many of them down because, I think this was the reason, people were using his pictures for nefarious purposes.

Here's another one of those details that only interests me ...

I was reading about the periodicals published in France before WWII ... and as part of the discussion, a picture of the re-booted Le Journal de Mickey (Disney publications / reprints had to be stopped during the War) first issue in 1952 showed up and I recognized it immediately as a takeoff of a WDCS issue. Here they are side-by-side. The re-interpretation is :sick: but it's still interesting. JDM is dated June 1, 1952 and WDCS 125 is dated February 1951 (INDUCKs suspects that the gag itself might be from a DD strip) -

79318.jpg.ce94efc862b1692c61d0d5af0aace285.jpg

Just got this in from a past Heritage win ( not the auction that ended this weekend). I have always considered this to be a classic cover but was surprised when the catalog came out that it was shown with a small picture and very little write up. As far as patriotic war covers are concerned, this one really stands out to me and I love it. :cloud9:

Ken

wdcs20.jpg

Just got this in from a past Heritage win ( not the auction that ended this weekend). I have always considered this to be a classic cover but was surprised when the catalog came out that it was shown with a small picture and very little write up. As far as patriotic war covers are concerned, this one really stands out to me and I love it. :cloud9:

Ken

Beautiful copy too! I want to put together a mini-theme of WWII WDC&S covers. It would include this one, 46 and 58. I'm waiting on a 58 I bought last week and am watching for the others.

Congratulations on your win. Dare I ask how much it cost?

I won this copy which was graded 9.0 by CGC for a little over $1,500 with buyer's premium. It is tied for the highest graded copy . Another 9.0 just closed this weekend on Heritage for over $3,000 so I am very happy about my copy.

Ken

IMG_1795.jpg

yay! I have something to post! :)

My earliest Barks, low, low grade....but still a key issue.

:cloud9:

That's a great issue. You'll have your chance to load up on low grade Ducks today.....

IMG_1795.jpg

That's a great issue. You'll have your chance to load up on low grade Ducks today.....

(shrug)

IMG_1795.jpg

(shrug)

As soon as I get finished uploading them and listing them in the marketplace he will. Almost ready now