• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

wdcs20.jpg

Here's another WWII cover. (Not as nice as Ken's though!) But I like it. I've also put this in the grading forum if anyone wants a go...

wdcs58_front.jpg

Check out the price on this issue of WDC&S 140 in Heritage. Nice book with Gyro's first appearance but still seems pricey. Of course someone paid many thousands more a few years back for nice copies. I would hate to be those guys if file copies start to hit the market all the time.

WDC&S 140 at Heritage

the future of Disney comics as written in the latest Lying in the gutters column:

"I understand that Boom Studios has won the comic book license for "Walt Disney Comics And Stories," "Mickey Mouse And Friends," "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck," "Donald Duck" and more.

Boom has recently shown much promise with its well received Disney Pixar and "Muppet Show" comic books, and this seems reward for its efforts,

Both titles were previously published by Steve Geppi's Gemstone, a publisher that has been seen to be suffering of late.

Expect to see this reflected in solicitations shortly."

I am glad to see this for one, the Gemstone issues looked so pixelated & poorly colored I hope these get better now :wishluck:

Check out the price on this issue of WDC&S 140 in Heritage. Nice book with Gyro's first appearance but still seems pricey. Of course someone paid many thousands more a few years back for nice copies. I would hate to be those guys if file copies start to hit the market all the time.

WDC&S 140 at Heritage

The book is plunging in value. Whoever bought the 9.4 copy in Nov 2006 overpaid, and then the high price brought more nice copies to market.

With the prices that ducks are now bringing in top condition, I decided to send a couple of mine in to CGC and see how they fared. I am basically against slabbing because I like to be able to read the comic, but I am thinking it might be time to sell my nicest books and replace them with Fines that I can enjoy.

The first one was Donald Duck in Old California, Four Color #328. The highest grade in the Census was 9.4. so I was pleased that mine was returned a 9.6. I am attaching it.

The second was the 1949 Firestone giveaway. The highest grade was 8.5 and once again mine was returned 9.6. After checking the census for the other Firestone's, I decided to submit the entire set as the high grade for several of the years is relatively low. When they come back, I will post the entire set, including the first Firestone giveaway, the 1942 Firestone Famous Gang of Comics, featuring the Looney Tunes characters.

My old friend, Leonard Brown, was the first person I ever knew of who emphasized quality back in 1959 when we met. I wish I had listened to his advice on all my books--it was when his WDCS #1 broke the bank a few months ago that I thought it might be time to get some of mine evaluated.

Richard

DD4C328CGCbluestripemail.jpg

DD4C328fullobverseemail.jpg

With the prices that ducks are now bringing in top condition, I decided to send a couple of mine in to CGC and see how they fared. I am basically against slabbing because I like to be able to read the comic, but I am thinking it might be time to sell my nicest books and replace them with Fines that I can enjoy.

The first one was Donald Duck in Old California, Four Color #328. The highest grade in the Census was 9.4. so I was pleased that mine was returned a 9.6. I am attaching it.

The second was the 1949 Firestone giveaway. The highest grade was 8.5 and once again mine was returned 9.6. After checking the census for the other Firestone's, I decided to submit the entire set as the high grade for several of the years is relatively low. When they come back, I will post the entire set, including the first Firestone giveaway, the 1942 Firestone Famous Gang of Comics, featuring the Looney Tunes characters.

My old friend, Leonard Brown, was the first person I ever knew of who emphasized quality back in 1959 when we met. I wish I had listened to his advice on all my books--it was when his WDCS #1 broke the bank a few months ago that I thought it might be time to get some of mine evaluated.

Richard

Congrats Rich!!!! Can't wait to see how the rest look. Having seen them raw, I know they will score high

(worship)

Bill

Richard

Wow! Gorgeous book! :applause:

Congratulations on the great grades from CGC on this book and the Firestone giveaway! :applause:

Richard

Congratulations! You will get ridiculous money for this.

Richard

Richard,

That is great! What a beautiful copy of one of Bark's greatest undertakings. That book is one of the ones I read as a kid that made me want to move to California. Of course you were already here buying comics with the legendary Leonard Brown!

Most excellent!

Frank

Richard

What a great book Richard. Kudos to you for keeping it so well preserved. :applause:

I feel almost unworthy given some of the recent posts. Not quite 9.6 Four Color goodness from me, but I continue to chip away at my collection of 1964 Australia/New Zealand Mobil giveaway ducks and mice. This one was last week's effort - and a nice copy of a hard to find early release. I won a #11 on ebay yesterday, so I'll subject you to that in due course. 16 down, 8 to go.

This one is a NZ edition (it has a staple rather than being glued).

mobil4-1.jpg

Thanks for all the gracious comments about my books. I am by nature more of a lurker than a player, but it is a delight to be able to share some of my books with other duck lovers who appreciate them. And a special thanks to Ciorac and Shiverbones who visited and encouraged me to slab some books and post them. It's been a lot of fun.

Thanks, Rich

Richard

O .......... My ......... Gosh !!!

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

I just love high grade.

It still amazes me when books this old turn up and are kept so pristine and newstand fresh.

Please post the others when they are available !

I have been asked to go ahead and post the 1949 Firestone giveaway. As I think it is the more attractive of the two books I just received from CGC, I am going to do it now, and then again when I have the entire set to display. People who saw this book at the last Pons Con thought it was a 10.0 until they put it under a microscope. It really is a nice book with a red cover that blows you away! Amazingly, I even have the Lionel cattle car and platform on the back cover!

Rich

Firestone1949CGCbluestripemail.jpg

Firestone1949fullobverseemail.jpg

Firestone1949fullreverseemail.jpg