• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

I picked up a 1964 Mobil giveaway comic #1 last week. Not the best copy but complete and with WHITE pages, which is nice.

mobil_1.jpg

The Australian editors used to go to some lengths to remove 'Americanisms' from the comics and replace them with the local variation. This is a good example. Back in 1964 Australia had a pounds, shilling and pence money system - note the money bags and Donald's pay rate lettered in locally - 'one and sixpence an hour'.

mobil_1_inside.jpg

The Australian editors used to go to some lengths to remove 'Americanisms' from the comics and replace them with the local variation. This is a good example. Back in 1964 Australia had a pounds, shilling and pence money system - note the money bags and Donald's pay rate lettered in locally - 'one and sixpence an hour'.

Interesting stuff!

Interesting stuff!

Didn't start and finish with the Disney reprints either. Local reprints of DC stories back in the day also had their share of editorial "fixings". Superman was from Metropolis, Batman from Gotham City, but I can clearly recall getting confused when a particular story referred to a phone call for Batman coming from Sydney - although it was clear the yarn had nothing to do with Australia. Some American spellings would be "anglicized" (colour, cheque, programme etc). I think I still have the story. Must look.

I know you are all following my Mobil giveaway collection with bated breath. ;)

Here's the latest, a nice #3. Looking for 9,10,15,16 now.

(I have a few of these for sale now. PM me if you are interested in buying one of these cute little comics before I list them on ebay.)

mobil3.jpg

:hi:

Great comic Jon! I'm going to get me one of those - one day. (With #s 20 and 46)

Are you contemplating sending this one to Matt for pressing? I think it would straighten that copy up nicely.

Edited by AJD

I won these 2 books from Heritage's Sunday auctions, and got both for about 20% below guide. You can usually get some nice Duck books from them for less than guide :)

dd26-2.jpg

fc275.jpg

I won these 2 books from Heritage's Sunday auctions, and got both for about 20% below guide. You can usually get some nice Duck books from them for less than guide :)

A couple of beauties.