• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Another new one arrived today.

I can't wait for a group shot.

Well, I don't have a group picture but here are thumbnails of all my current U$ slabs :)

That's one hell of a group shot (worship) - are you going for every Uncle Scrooge?

You've really been workin on that run Steve. Looks great !! And you've already knocked off the first issue too (thumbs u

A good day at the letter box today. Not being able to afford the big ticket items or really high grades, I'm plugging away at WDC&S 50-111 (the 1940s issues I can reasonably aspire to on my budget) in 6.0-8.0 I've gotta say that this is working for me. I'm loving these books.

You have to love those Walt Kelly covers - this is one of the best and has the first appearance of Gladstone Gander as well.

wdcs88.jpg

This one has just turned 60 - I can only hope that I'll be as well preserved when I get there.

wdcs106.jpg

The #88 is an all time fave of mine! Great story, 1st app. and the cover is one of Kelly's best. Just look at all the detail & color in the confetti!

Yes, I'll bet the colorist hated Kelly for that one, but did a great job on it anyway.

A good day at the letter box today. Not being able to afford the big ticket items or really high grades, I'm plugging away at WDC&S 50-111 (the 1940s issues I can reasonably aspire to on my budget) in 6.0-8.0 I've gotta say that this is working for me. I'm loving these books.

You have to love those Walt Kelly covers - this is one of the best and has the first appearance of Gladstone Gander as well.

wdcs88.jpg

This one has just turned 60 - I can only hope that I'll be as well preserved when I get there.

wdcs106.jpg

Those books are really nice AJD. That grade is right up my alley. Clean, flat, and UNSLABBED !! :grin:

wdcs88.jpg

wdcs106.jpg

Perfect! We look for the same sort of book! Great stuff, great to read these!

Well, I don't have a group picture but here are thumbnails of all my current U$ slabs :)

That's one hell of a group shot (worship) - are you going for every Uncle Scrooge?

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I have been having fun with this run ever since Tim Hui got me hooked. And I have met some great Duck fans.

I have a complete Scrooge run. Most of the books just aren't graded.

The books I have below issue 100 are nicer readers for the most part. The rest of the Gold Key and Whitman issues are higher grade but probably no CGC 9.6+ books (other than the ones that are currently on their way back from CGC). The Disney/Gladstone/Gemstone books are cherry - probably 90% are CGC 9.6 or better with most in the 9.8 range.

I will continue to add nice Scrooges to the run as my budget allows. But I am also working on reader runs of Dell Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse books that I can share with my son. He loves for me to read comics to him and the Duck and Mouse books are his favorite.

He loves for me to read comics to him and the Duck and Mouse books are his favorite.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any better use of comics. (thumbs u

But I am also working on reader runs of Dell Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse books that I can share with my son. He loves for me to read comics to him and the Duck and Mouse books are his favorite.

Have you got this one Steve ? I have loved this story since I first owned this book back in the early 70's.

DDuck43.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I have been having fun with this run ever since Tim Hui got me hooked. And I have met some great Duck fans.

I have a complete Scrooge run. Most of the books just aren't graded.

The books I have below issue 100 are nicer readers for the most part. The rest of the Gold Key and Whitman issues are higher grade but probably no CGC 9.6+ books (other than the ones that are currently on their way back from CGC). The Disney/Gladstone/Gemstone books are cherry - probably 90% are CGC 9.6 or better with most in the 9.8 range.

I will continue to add nice Scrooges to the run as my budget allows. But I am also working on reader runs of Dell Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse books that I can share with my son. He loves for me to read comics to him and the Duck and Mouse books are his favorite.

It's been a pleasure to see you get into Ducks so enthusiastically, Steve. (thumbs u

CGC lists this book as a Canadian edition. But, I have been told that regional price variants also existed in the US and this book is one of those and was mislabeled by CGC. Is anybody aware of any authoritative information resources regarding Dell price variants?

UncleScrooge18CGC94OWCanadianvarian.jpg

I am also very curious about the CGC note regarding the writing on the first page. "My Spare Copy. Carl Barks" I wonder if this was a note from the collector to himself or if this was in fact a note from Carl to the collector with his signature.

I bought the book slabbed through an auction service so I haven't seen the handwriting and I have no idea who owned the book so I can ask about its provenance. If anyone happens to know something about the background of this book, please share with me. :popcorn:

Try contacting Jerry Weist to see if it was part of the Barks' estate that he auctioned off. As you know from buying some of those books (if memory serves me), they normally would have a certificate but it could have been lost.

Here's my latest:

WDCS140fc.jpg