• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

My apologies for spamming the Duck thread lately. I may soon have to take a break from posting and am trying to add stuff while I have more time.
Don't you apologize for the great stuff you're posting. I love seeing that gag panel again.

My apologies for spamming the Duck thread lately. I may soon have to take a break from posting and am trying to add stuff while I have more time.
Don't you apologize for the great stuff you're posting. I love seeing that gag panel again.

+1

Your posts are incredibly informative, and I (used) to consider myself very knowledgable about the Ducks but now I realize I'm still a newbie :ohnoez:

In any matter it's great to see how stories changed from what was originally planned (as shown in your OA) and to what was actually published.

I copied this post from Comics General where they were discussing the plans to re-start the numbering for Action and Detective at #1.

I feel sick

Well... maybe here's another way of looking at it that might help. Actually-- for you golden-age guys, this shouldn't even be a blip on your collecting radar! Golden-age numbering was traditionally a mighty mess.

Say you're a newbie with money to burn, and you want to start collecting Donald Duck. Okay... you soon discover that #1 is really #4 (or that #4 is really #1, depending on how you look at it). Then suddenly the next two appearances switch from Dell to United Features and become #s 16 and 20 respectively. Then--- zap! Out of the blue you're back to Dell for it's 2nd issue (but really the 4th overall).

Now is that issue #2 (or even #4)? It is not. It is.... #9! So now you have to understand that #9 comes after #s 16 and 20. Then your next issue is #29, and it keeps hop-skipping like this for 12 years up through #422.

Suddenly... Dell decides... "maybe we should do sequential numbering after all... it might be easier for the buyer to keep track that way!" So Dell suddenly drops out of the 3-digit stratosphere and begins monthly numbering with issue #26.

One problem, however... #26 isn't Donald's 26th issue... it's his 33rd!

Anyway... this sequential numbering continues right up until the end of the first series at #307. Er, well... not quite. For some reason, in 1959, two Donald issues go back to the four-color numbering system with #s 1051 and 1109 and 1190, with the one reprinted... but as #1198 this time!

And all this isn't to be confused with Donald Duck Adventures, which starts with #1 in 1987, and #1 in 1990, and #1 in 2003, etc.

So in the overall scheme of things... if you've ever been a wide-ranging golden-age enthusiast... this new DC re-numbering thingy should be a breeze!

I copied this post from Comics General where they were discussing the plans to re-start the numbering for Action and Detective at #1.

Well... maybe here's another way of looking at it that might help. Actually-- for you golden-age guys, this shouldn't even be a blip on your collecting radar! Golden-age numbering was traditionally a mighty mess.

Say you're a newbie with money to burn, and you want to start collecting Donald Duck. Okay... you soon discover that #1 is really #4 (or that #4 is really #1, depending on how you look at it). Then suddenly the next two appearances switch from Dell to United Features and become #s 16 and 20 respectively. Then--- zap! Out of the blue you're back to Dell for it's 2nd issue (but really the 4th overall).

Now is that issue #2 (or even #4)? It is not. It is.... #9! So now you have to understand that #9 comes after #s 16 and 20. Then your next issue is #29, and it keeps hop-skipping like this for 12 years up through #422.

Suddenly... Dell decides... "maybe we should do sequential numbering after all... it might be easier for the buyer to keep track that way!" So Dell suddenly drops out of the 3-digit stratosphere and begins monthly numbering with issue #26.

One problem, however... #26 isn't Donald's 26th issue... it's his 33rd!

Anyway... this sequential numbering continues right up until the end of the first series at #307. Er, well... not quite. For some reason, in 1959, two Donald issues go back to the four-color numbering system with #s 1051 and 1109 and 1190, with the one reprinted... but as #1198 this time!

And all this isn't to be confused with Donald Duck Adventures, which starts with #1 in 1987, and #1 in 1990, and #1 in 2003, etc.

So in the overall scheme of things... if you've ever been a wide-ranging golden-age enthusiast... this new DC re-numbering thingy should be a breeze!

I saw that post - and realised I was unfamiliar with the two issues of DD he ascribed to United Features that apparently come between FC 4 and 9. For you more knowledgeable types, this is what is known as 'a teachable moment'...

Question. Wasn't the splash page censored? Is yours marked up or was it done to a copy?

You are right, the surviving artwork is the censored version of the splash panel which was rejected and returned to Barks.

Here is another original that I have not posted before. It is the top half of an unpublished page intended for Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 175 in 1955. In contrast to the "Trick or Treat" example, Barks discarded this gag himself after he had inked it. According to articles I've read by Geoffrey Bloom based on interviews, Barks just didn't think that the gag was funny enough and also pointed out that it could not be understood by children who could not read the dialogue. It was replaced by another, more visual gag where Donald was grabbing the candy from hungry bears at the zoo.

A fun little tidbit about this half-page is the almost invisible writing in blue pencil at the top left corner: "has to x-ray nurses", which I have never seen mentioned in any of the many articles on Barks' unpublished art. In the 10-page story, Donald has lost a diamond ring in a batch of taffy and is trying to buy up the candy to find it. Perhaps Barks was making a note to himself to replace (or follow up?) with a gag where D. wants to X-ray the nurses after they have eaten the candy(?).

In any case, I see it as an example of how much Barks cared about giving his readers quality for their 10 cents, especially given that he had never received any direct feedback from readers up to this time.

I would love to have some of that spam in my collection. Original art is terrific and the original scripts are amazing. Anymore figures in the scripts?

Thanks. There are no more sketches in the manuscripts. I guess most collectors would care more for the page with the drawing, but I actually only bought this lot because I really wanted the early "Village Blacksmith" -script.

The book below is one I had been wanting for a very long time. It became available when a friend upgraded to a CGC 8.0. After I received the book, which was then in an old label CGC 6.0 holder, I felt that it was nicer than the grade indicated and recommended that he should resubmit it. I ended up paying a higher price than we had agreed to, but I could not be happier with the book.

fc4_70.jpg

Here's a seemingly unassuming issue that I had been trying to find in high grade for over 10 years; I was really happy when I finally managed to locate a pretty copy. Somehow the issues from the last year have been very elusive. I wonder if it is because no one else cares about the covers without the classic artwork of Mickey and Donald(?). To me, an issue like this is just as cool, in this case because of the link to the premiere of Pinocchio - just about every issue has its own unique appeal. Mickey Mouse Magazine had a number of features related to both Snow White and Pinocchio, Disney's two first full length animated movies. The fact that MMM not only represented the transition from children's magazine to comic book but also reflected the far more critical transition from Disney's b/w shorts to feature films is incredible, I think. To be able to follow these transitions in parallel adds an extra dimension to MMM that is unique to Disney and to the period. I always thought that Walt Disney's Comics and Stories was less interesting because they more or less had found the formula at that point.

Actually, Four Color 4, which I posted above, is very interesting in this context as it must have been published during the Summer of 1940. The unusual and puzzling rarity of this book suggests a low print run, but it clearly was a success since MMM became a comic book 3-4 months later.

MickeyMouseMagazine_v5_5_9-0.jpg

Thanks. There are no more sketches in the manuscripts. I guess most collectors would care more for the page with the drawing, but I actually only bought this lot because I really wanted the early "Village Blacksmith" -script.

The book below is one I had been wanting for a very long time. It became available when a friend upgraded to a CGC 8.0. After I received the book, which was then in an old label CGC 6.0 holder, I felt that it was nicer than the grade indicated and recommended that he should resubmit it. I ended up paying a higher price than we had agreed to, but I could not be happier with the book.

fc4_70.jpg

That is one heckuva pretty funnybook (worship)

I've always believed that the DD FC #4 was the rarest Disney comic book, across all grades. The Mickey Mouse FC #16 gives it a run in higher grades, but not in lower grades where it is relatively common. The only book rarer in my experience is the WDCS #4 with the promotional ad probably sent to formerMickey Mouse Magazine subscribers. For me, the MM FC #16 is one of the greatest comic books ever published, but the DD FC #4 is clearly rarer and it is a real treat to see such a beautiful copy. Thank you for sharing it with us.

MickeyMouseMagazine_v5_5_9-0.jpg

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Seriously, that is a drop-dead gorgeous copy. (Not that it's setting a precedent around here lately...)

I've always believed that the DD FC #4 was the rarest Disney comic book, across all grades. The Mickey Mouse FC #16 gives it a run in higher grades, but not in lower grades where it is relatively common. The only book rarer in my experience is the WDCS #4 with the promotional ad probably sent to formerMickey Mouse Magazine subscribers. For me, the MM FC #16 is one of the greatest comic books ever published, but the DD FC #4 is clearly rarer and it is a real treat to see such a beautiful copy. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Rich, refresh my memory on the Crescent City collection. Were all three of those present in it? If so, how nice were they? I know I should remember but it has been a long time since I made that purchase and owned them for such a short time

Rich, refresh my memory on the Crescent City collection. Were all three of those present in it? If so, how nice were they? I know I should remember but it has been a long time since I made that purchase and owned them for such a short time

Bill, Actually none of them were in it because Leonard wasn't able to find them in the condition he liked. Years earlier he had a beautiful FC #4, absolutely gorgeous, but he sold it to a good friend/customer who specialized in Disney, and he was never able to replace it. He had never even seen the WDCS #4 promo until I showed him my copy.

Thanks for the nice feedback, everyone.

One of the pictures that I most would like to post is a picture of myself on my 6th birthday in the mid-1970s, enthusiastically showing a near mint digest sized comic to a friend. I still have the actual comic. Just of the rest of my childhood collection it is taped, torn, and completely falling apart from being read so many times. Unfortunately, I don't have those pictures here. I still have almost my entire collection from back then intact, including comics where I first practiced writing my own name.

---

The book below is the most recent addition to my collection, found on eBay a few months ago. I've lost count of the times I've won copies in various auctions just because they looked like they might have a faint chance of being an upgrade, but in 80-90% of the cases it turns out that they are not. Still, if I had not taken these gambles I would be missing some of the best books in my run, including the rare 96 page V2#3 which I posted a few weeks ago. I bought that book through eBay in 1999 from a listing that showed a stamp-sized photo lacking all detail. The seller knew absolutely nothing about comics so it was a complete fluke - I can't imagine there is a nicer copy in existence.

This time, I was lucky: V1#9 is exceptionally hard to find this nice and the cover is one of the most beautiful in the entire run. I was very happy when it arrived. The seller was a small antiques store which rarely sold comics.

112508.jpg.4aee131d630b3bfeb8ea1471b1d44a24.jpg

+1

Your posts are incredibly informative, and I (used) to consider myself very knowledgable about the Ducks but now I realize I'm still a newbie :ohnoez:

In any matter it's great to see how stories changed from what was originally planned (as shown in your OA) and to what was actually published.

Sometime back in the 70's you could buy from a CBG ad the missing or edited pages from DD #26 Trick or Treat for a few bucks. They were photocopies or offset prints and I purchased a set. I don't recall the whole story behind the editing but I still have those pages stashed with my duck books. I'll have to take a look again sometime this summer.

40Y: It would be great if you could share some of the Barks outtakes. I found them among the most fascinating Barks related material when I was getting into US Disney comics as a teenager, but I no longer have copies of the reprints that you mention. Later on, I started collecting the originals. My long term goal is to rebuild Barks' scrap pile as it must have looked around 1960.

The picture below shows the first original that I bought. It is from the "Land Beneath the Ground" story from Uncle Scrooge 13. The artwork does not actually have tape across it, I took the photo after wrapping up my originals for a meeting with other collectors. Barks gave this drawing to John Spicer in 1961 when he was one of the first fans to visit Barks and his wife in their tiny house in Hemet. It turned out that John lived close to my home in Palo Alto so he drove down and handed me the drawing in person. He was an extremely nice guy and also brought along a second original that Barks had given him. I later bought that too, along with the 3rd and last drawing Barks had given his brother, Bill. They had kept their gifts for 40 years. I suspect that John decided to let me have them not so much because of the money as because he sensed how much I appreciated them. Barks originals from this period are very rare and seldom offered for sale.

lbg_taped.jpg