• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

I recently got a copy of #106 myself maybe 2 months ago. I remember when I got it in my hands I was just drawn to the cover - definitely a classic WDCS cover.

Thanks for posting it here - never get tired of looking at that one.

This is probably old news to you all, but I just got this book in the mail yesterday:

WDCSarchives.jpg

It reprints WDC&S 1 and 2 in their entirety, and has some essay material that explains how MMM morphed into WDC&S (tb will like this - it explains a gradual process) and some other bits and pieces. I had a ball reading it last night.

I've also ordered this:

4Carchives.jpg

Which I assume reprints Four Color #4.

I got both for $26, which is fabulous value.

AJD - thanks for posting this here - didn't know that they were out - I'm placing my order on amazon ASAP for both books and the donald duck archive as well! I look forward to reading them.

A couple of pickups from San Diego. I always try to find a duck book to fill in the collection. This year issue #106 popped up. Oddly, late last year I found a copy of 105 at a local dealer. Both contain Phantom Blot serial chapters.

Also, picked up the Lulu shown as a package deal. Please bear with Little Lulu here in the duck thread! Went to the Lulu fan meeting which is always a hoot as my kids get to act out a Lulu story. Would be a great idea for a duck fan meeting!!

Beautiful books! And to get another chapter of the Blot just makes the 106 even nicer.

Richard

This is probably old news to you all, but I just got this book in the mail yesterday:

It reprints WDC&S 1 and 2 in their entirety, and has some essay material that explains how MMM morphed into WDC&S (tb will like this - it explains a gradual process) and some other bits and pieces. I had a ball reading it last night.

is this color or b&w?

A couple of pickups from San Diego. I always try to find a duck book to fill in the collection. This year issue #106 popped up. Oddly, late last year I found a copy of 105 at a local dealer. Both contain Phantom Blot serial chapters.

Also, picked up the Lulu shown as a package deal. Please bear with Little Lulu here in the duck thread! Went to the Lulu fan meeting which is always a hoot as my kids get to act out a Lulu story. Would be a great idea for a duck fan meeting!!

Beautiful books! And to get another chapter of the Blot just makes the 106 even nicer.

Richard

Thanks Rich and others,

I was pulling some comic boxes this weekend looking for a Captain America Cosmic Cube story to show my daughter after seeing the CA movie. As a part of that exercise I ran across numerous Disney boxes and realized that I needed to do a better job of indexing my WDC & S collection. I buy pretty much from memory which tells you something about how memorable the covers really were!

I also came across my collection of Walt Disney Showcase by Gold Key which I bought off the stands in the seventies and bagged in old polypropolene. There they still sit and need to get transferred to Mylar. Hard to imagine that those books are probably much rarer in grade than the corresponding DC's and Marvels of that vintage. There is some interesting stuff from that era.

is this color or b&w?

Color - and they have done a good job of reproducing the period four color look.

I looked up those books at Amazon the moment I saw AJD's first post, but I've been waiting for the one with the Four Color 4 cover to be published (in a couple of weeks). Thanks a lot for the tip, AJD.

That's a beautiful copy with a great Kelly cover, 40YC. I saw in another thread with pictures from San Diego that the Comic Heaven booth had some raw early issues of WDCS. If anyone happened to notice their condition I'd be very interested in your thoughts. I was a little surprised that John Verzyl had Disney books so I figured there might be something unusual about them. I've been working on a high grade run of the first 30 issues for many years.

For those interested in the Boom Archive TPBs, you might like to know that the cover on the Boom website for the Four Color 4 (and 13) is different than the one shown on Amazon (and more consistent with the other archive covers):

http://www.boom-studios.com/disney-s-four-color-adventures-vol-1-tpb.html

They also have the cover of the upcoming Donald Duck vol 2 archives as well.

I looked up those books at Amazon the moment I saw AJD's first post, but I've been waiting for the one with the Four Color 4 cover to be published (in a couple of weeks). Thanks a lot for the tip, AJD.

That's a beautiful copy with a great Kelly cover, 40YC. I saw in another thread with pictures from San Diego that the Comic Heaven booth had some raw early issues of WDCS. If anyone happened to notice their condition I'd be very interested in your thoughts. I was a little surprised that John Verzyl had Disney books so I figured there might be something unusual about them. I've been working on a high grade run of the first 30 issues for many years.

I spent some time at John's booth and I actually picked up an Adventure #74 from him that I will post in the Adventure thread when it arrives. He did have a few WDC&S books and I believe I looked at a couple. They were either so far out of my price range that I did not look closely or they were lower grade. Point me to the picture to jog my memory.

I spent some time at John's booth and I actually picked up an Adventure #74 from him that I will post in the Adventure thread when it arrives. He did have a few WDC&S books and I believe I looked at a couple. They were either so far out of my price range that I did not look closely or they were lower grade. Point me to the picture to jog my memory.

Here's the picture:

Comic Heaven

sd58.jpg

Here's the picture:

Comic Heaven

sd58.jpg

Those were not all there when I visited on Saturday. I recall seeing the duck in a bunny suit and the issue with the flag. I would have noticed a run like that. I believe the flag issue was over my price range meaning it was in very nice shape.

Now, this is what makes me :cloud9: about these Boards.

Andrew (AJD) and I have had a PM thread going for a little while about this and that and recently he showed me a lovely book he'd just acquired for his Barks Uncle Scrooge run.

I am also a Barks fan - but pretty much a bottom feeder.

AJD also showed me a set of the Gladstone trading cards that he'd manage to get (eBay) and I similarly expressed my appreciation. I have been known to collect a few cards as well (:baiting: for Andrew).

Yesterday, unannounced and certainly unrequested the following lobbed through the Post.

Addressed to the "Undercopy Manor" lol

Now that I have confirmed there will be no follow up invoice, this is what was gifted:

UncleScrooge56753x1044.jpg

DuckCards1816x1106.jpg

(Here are the backs)

DuckCards2839x1117.jpg

Bless him.

Though now it means my inner OCD will demand I complete the sets . . .

Very nice gift!

Now that issue brings back memory. I must try to find it and read it tonight.

I had forgotten all about those cards - I believe I need to obtain one more card to finish the set! Maybe I should get on that soon.

I had forgotten all about those cards - I believe I need to obtain one more card to finish the set! Maybe I should get on that soon.

No no no. :makepoint: Abandon that fruitless quest and send the things to me. lol

I assure you, boundless karma :cloud9: will accrue (thumbs u <-- (the good one)

What's the secret of the animated cover? hm

I think BBGun did animated gifs of all these covers so we wouldn't have to cut them up. They should be here somewhere. Basically, you cut the back cover which has a strip. Insert the strip into the cut section of the mouth, pull back and forth and it opens and close the teeth. I'm going from memory.

Now that I have confirmed there will be no follow up invoice, this is what was gifted:

UncleScrooge56753x1044.jpg

What a nice thing to do. One of the fringe benefits of collecting Disney is that you tend to get to know some unusually kind people.

I was just going through this story the other day as I was comparing the original manuscript to the published art. I'll try to scan some pages at some point.