• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Nice. I almost prefer some of those gold keys/ whitmans to the originals for reading copies. The one thing I don't like about the original dells is that the color registration is often way off which is never a problem on these later books..

congrats!

Something tells me that world's best won't be reading that copy any time soon. stooges.gif

Nope. I do have a reading copy though. And I love to break out "Old Number One" and re-read it every now and then. Getting the HG copper Scrooges is more about the fun of collecting. Here's another recent pick-up although it is hard to follow FT's MOC.

UncleScrooge209CGC9-1.jpg

fc4_crippen.jpg

I wonder if this is the earliest Disney book in the Crippen collection? Thought about breaking the slab and checking but it is probably just some "-D-" code?

I am always very interested in buying high end CGC graded Disney.

You'll be able to derive the code at some point, so I wouldn't de-slab just for that reason. He was numbering books by publisher (who received an 3? letter alphabetic code, IIRC) so, to me, there's nothing special about knowing that code. The "D" refers to the distributor code that was on the cover of many of the copies.

And I should add that it's a nice looking copy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Edited by adamstrange

> Is that FC 4 the copy just sold by bigloo on ebay?

No, but it is also a CGC 5.5. FC 4 is one of my favorite books. If anyone has a nice copy I'd pay $15K up for a CGC 6.5 or better.

----

Unrelated, since some people expressed interest in the Carl Barks originals I posted a while back: my whole collection will be on exhibit in Krems (near Vienna), Austria, from March 25 through November. I flew down to LA and delivered it to the organizers this past week.

Edited by tb

Unrelated, since some people expressed interest in the Carl Barks originals I posted a while back: my whole collection will be on exhibit in Krems (near Vienna), Austria, from March 25 through November. I flew down to LA and delivered it to the organizers this past week.

frustrated.gif I was in Vienna last October!

Congrats, TB, that's fantastic! Would love to see it!

I can't recall seeing a copy that had colors looking that pure before. That's a very fresh book that really lets you appreciate the art!

fc4_crippen.jpg

I wonder if this is the earliest Disney book in the Crippen collection? Thought about breaking the slab and checking but it is probably just some "-D-" code?

I am always very interested in buying high end CGC graded Disney.

893whatthe.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I can't recall seeing a copy that had colors looking that pure before. That's a very fresh book that really lets you appreciate the art!

Thank you! It is a treat to look at in person and feels like a brand new book on your hands. I will scan the back later as it is equally as nice.

The early Walt Disney's Comics & Stories are among my favorite GA covers. Especially #21, which must have been designed shortly after Pearl Harbor, has a unique combination of a very serious message and a lighthearted Disney character.

It is very hard to find these books in nice condition. I was really happy to get an unusually "large" set recently (including the best #7 I've ever seen!) - will post the rest later.

#19. There is a variation of this issue that has distracting white streaks in the center of the cover art. I assume the copies without this error were printed earlier(?).

wdcs19_0107.jpg

#21. The top of this copy is not faded - the gradient was part of the original artwork.

wdcs21_0107.jpg

#27. Just a great cover: early Disney when it is best!

wdcs27_0107.jpg

---

Edit:

#28. This one is a double cover (inner sold as 9.0). I have since upgraded this issue.

wdcs28_1206.jpg

wdcs28_1206_inner.jpg

Edited by tb

Its not Donald Duck but it is the first appearance of Daffy Duck (ignore the Hunt for Daffy story book - stupid Overstreet)

Oh yeah, first Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig , Elmer Fudd, Petunia Pig , Sniffles etc.

But this is a Duck thread after all.

lt1.jpg

lt1bc.jpg

lt1a.jpg

Its not Donald Duck but it is the first appearance of Daffy Duck (ignore the Hunt for Daffy story book - stupid Overstreet)

893applaud-thumb.gif Nice copy and the page quality looks nice. A tough book any day!

893whatthe.gif Another amazing book - nicely done! thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely love that early Bugs page, ft! I've never seen the interior before but that page certainly makes this book a lot more interesting to me. Any more fun early appearances like that? In any case, thanks a lot for taking the trouble to photograph it for us. Learning to appreciate new areas unexpectedly is one of the best things about this place.

Here are some more WDC&S. I get a real kick out of finding them this nice:

wdcs7_0107_1000.jpg

wdcs14_0107_1000.jpg

wdcs18_0107_1000.jpg

wdcs28_0107_1000.jpg