• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Georgia Jekyl Island Comic Con Sat Dec 12

13 posts in this topic

Saturday Dec 12. Brunswick-Jekyl Island is half way between Jacksonville and Savannah on I-95 (one hour from each). This is a fantastic venue in a brand new convention center right on the beach and I do mean ON THE BEACH ...

It's also where X-Men First Class was filmed....cool huh?

This is a comic starved area in a great location on I-95 with an MSA population over 100,000.

Here's a link ... http://www.jekyllcon2.com/

Facebook .... https://www.facebook.com/jekyllcon2

Hopefully, we''ll pick up some more comic vendors. Here are pictures from last year ...

10818216_10152554741898297_8706133862481146145_o.jpg

10862691_10152554742533297_6620757406669460183_o.jpg

10869529_10152554817413297_3192029703847060083_o.jpg

10857260_10152554742878297_2532182867952474212_o.jpg

Id do this show if tables were cheap. $100 for a 1 day show in South Georgia. An hour from savannah, a town that has 1 comic shop, i think, last i was there it was 2 comics and more and home run. Comic box was closed. So if there is one store left, most of the customers must be coming from jacksonville. Should just move the show to jacksonville instead.

Two other neat things about this area:

1. Ever watch the TV show Justified? When they refer to Glynco - this is the place. Check out this link.

http://jaxairnews.jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403800/terry-dickson/2011-04-21/terry-dickson-annoyed-area-foibles-it%E2%80%99s-justified

2. A movie filming in Brunswick/Jekyl Island right now is

Ben (Daredevil aka Batman) Affleck's "Live By Night".

Check out this link.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2015-11-03/story/filming-live-night-heats-brunswick

Looking at a map of the continental US - I noticed Brunswick/Jekyl Island GA is almost the same latitude as San Diego, CA ... but on the east coast.

I suppose this is as close as I'll get to the San Diego Comic Con International :D

But it is true that Jekyl Con is the east coast version geographically of the San Diego Con. Now if it could just be the same in regards to comic vendors hm

We sit one hour between two metropolitan areas - Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA.

I also notice our Jekyl Con has picked up a few more vendors since my last post.

PS - I am not the promoter - just glad we have this event in my area -

A big beautiful golden age classic cover ... The DC universe Captain Marvel movie is scheduled for 2019 and will be called SHAZAM! It is being produced by Warner Bros. - the parent company, Time Warner, owns the rights to the character through DC Comics.

"Shazam!", will feature the most popular Super Hero of the 1950's - Captian Marvel. When young Billy Batson shouts "SHAZAM!" ... He becomes Captain Marvel.

025.jpg

By shouting the magical word SHAZAM, Billy Batson gains ...

Solomon's wisdom

Hercules's strength

Atlas's stamina

Zeus's power

Achilles courage

Mercury's speed

So is he Captain Marvel or SHAZAM? The name confusion comes from legal issues in publication/trademark history. Captain Marvel was created in 1940 by Fawcett Publications which got sued by DC (who claimed Captain Marvel was too much like their Superman). Fawcett settled by agreeing to stop printing Captain Marvel comics. 20 years later DC acquired the rights to the character Captain Marvel, but couldn"t use the name ... because Marvel Comics had a comic with the title Captain Marvel and trademarked that name. Due to this trademark, DC is not allowed to produce a film under the name Captain Marvel.

So to avoid legal issues with Marvel, DC published Captain Marvel stories in a comic titled "SHAZAM!" (after the Captain's magic word and the name of the wizard who grants him his powers). When DC rebooted the character in 2011 with the New 52, SHAZAM officially became the character's name.

Isn't Captain Marvel/SHAZAM basically Superman?

Well, DC Comics thought so and sued Fawcett Comics...but Captain Marvel is different from Superman. He has a different personality, different storyline, different strengths, different weaknesses, different uniform, magic based power, he's from earth not another planet, etc.

So if the two heroes are different then why did DC sue Fawcett? MONEY

Captain Marvel was BY FAR the most popular superhero in the 1950s...not Superman.

DC saw this as a financial threat and took Fawcett to court and in the end money dictated Fawcett settling the case ... It is quite possible without litigation -Captain Marvel would be the major superhero of today - not Superman - or any other character for that matter. With the movie in 2019 that may well be the case again!

Although Superman came first and Captain Marvel did copy the character in some ways (hence the lawsuit) Its worth noting, that in other ways Superman copied Captain Marvel ...for example

1. Superman didn't fly at first, but later copied Captain Marvel-- or got the ability after Captain Marvel

2. Superman's arch-villain Lex Luthor was a bald "mad scientist" who copied or came after Captain Marvel's nemesis Dr. Sivana, and

3. Superboy copied or came after Captain Marvel's teenaged Captain Marvel, Jr,

4. Supergirl copied or came after Captain Marvel's teenaged sister, Mary Marvel

-adapted from imdp source on web-

The ten day weather report is in ... :whee:

Calling for sunny and 71 at the beach for Jekyl Con -

I'll need to find time during the day to get a Blizzard at the Dairy Queen across the street.

Simply a great venue for a comic show and for me Saturday is better than Sunday for a one day show. We'll have a big crowd for sure!

I hope we get a few more funny book vendors :)

This just in - Jekyl Island just opened an all new outdoor "ice-skating" pavillion ... so my wife has decided to go comic-ing with me. We can check out the rink Friday night. It's all about the comics ... but I like it when my wife helps and we can do some fun things together. It's the little side things that can make a good event ... great.

1. About the rink ...

http://www.wtoc.com/story/30597560/ice-skating-outdoors-on-the-beach-on-jekyll-island-starts-wed

2. First skate ... look at the ocean and the beach in the background - CRAZY

3. Island Info...

http://www.jekyllisland.com/project/jekyll-island-skating-village/

Now to sort out my wall books - still got 8 days to get it done :banana:

PS - If you've never been to Jekyl - it's so convenient - it's super easy to get around and park and get to things. Super Laid Back!