• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIG PLACEMENT

46 posts in this topic

There are also artists that will take out the book from the bag so that they can see what they are signing. Even with window bags artist or writer may ask to take the book out of the bag b/c they don't like the customer's signature placement or the window area is too small. Plus you never know if you give the artist freedom to sign how they want you may get lucky & get a remark sketch.

Very rare for someone to insist the book be removed when it has a window bag.

There are also artists that will take out the book from the bag so that they can see what they are signing. Even with window bags artist or writer may ask to take the book out of the bag b/c they don't like the customer's signature placement or the window area is too small. Plus you never know if you give the artist freedom to sign how they want you may get lucky & get a remark sketch.

Not true, there are many artists/writers that hate window bags and/or have a specific spot they would like to sign. This year alone the following creators have asked or gone ahead and unbagged prepped books because they didnt like the spot that was picked, some even take the book out without asking (CRINGE)

-Chris Claremont (likes to sign on the X-Men Logo)

-Dan Slott (doesnt like window bags)

-Ty Templeton (doesnt like widow bags)

-Neal Adams (wanted to sign a book(s) in a specific location)

-Arthur Suydam (wanted to sign a book(s) in a specific location)

-Jim Starlin (signs in Black only and has a spot that he likes on a cover because of it)

Eric Basaldua will not sign on certain parts of his covers

Marc Wolfman only sign books he wrote not edited. Hiding the cover won't work he will look

Starlin will not sign in metallic sharpies he is allergic to them. Can usually get black, red, or blue.

Fan needs to research or ask about some artists before sending books in. Relying on others is the quickest way to disappointment. Real fan will be happy to have a signature. Resellers are the ones that usually complain.

I have a black light to see black sharpie on black cover, only had a black sharpie on me when asking but I still have the signature. :cloud9:

If you see that a facilitator, who prepped the book, did not put any thought into the sig placement then they did a bad job. Having hundreds or thousands of books is no excuse. This is why books are prepped.

i would agree with this. i would think that you wouldnt have to tell someone to not prep the book to be signed black ink on a dark spot. i thought that was why you paid to have books prepped. if not dont even call it prepping. just say you are charging to crack a slab.

maybe i just take more pride in my job then some people do.

I imagine it happens to everyone sooner or later. It happened to me this summer. I subbed a raw book and prepped it myself. I figured I had all my bases covered but such was not the case. It came back a 9.8 but the signature is nearly impossible to see as the signer used black on an already dark area. I had assumed that either the facilitator or the signer would recognize that it needed to be anything other than black, but preferably silver so it would show up. I took it as a learning experience and moved on.

Next time I will be more specific.

Dan Slott really hates window bags. Akoni and I got to hear about it for about 30 minutes at NYCC

I don't understand this. I prepped my books perfectly for NYCC last year and I got Slott sigs all over my books. I got 9.8's but a part of me wants to get rid of the books because of the horrible sig placement. What doesn't make sense is it seems as if the books were taken out of the prepped bags. My windows were on the bottom but the sigs are at the top corner.

I can understand why black on black happens.

If the color choice is not clearly asked for, or if the prepped bag is just a big cut out with only the edges of the book covered. This would expose dark areas for the black on black to occur.

If the signing is like an assembly line and creator has only a few seconds before the next book is in front of him/her, they get in a rhythm and do the sig without much thought.

It really stinks when it happens, but like many have said already, It happens to everyone at some point.

I would also suggest doing your own window bags for sig placement and write down color choice on backing board. Then send them along with slabs to be cracked. That's the best way to hopefully avoid another black on black.

Another option is to write in big letters silver around the painters tape around the window box. At that point you hope the artist has a silver sharpie or the facilitator/witness has one.

I've even sent a Sharpie with the book.

I can understand why black on black happens.

If the color choice is not clearly asked for, or if the prepped bag is just a big cut out with only the edges of the book covered. This would expose dark areas for the black on black to occur.

If the signing is like an assembly line and creator has only a few seconds before the next book is in front of him/her, they get in a rhythm and do the sig without much thought.

It really stinks when it happens, but like many have said already, It happens to everyone at some point.

I would also suggest doing your own window bags for sig placement and write down color choice on backing board. Then send them along with slabs to be cracked. That's the best way to hopefully avoid another black on black.

This is what I assume happened. It's a bummer but not a huge deal. Like I said, lesson learned, I'll do it different next time, but I'm sue it will happen again. That's the risk taken every time.

you guys are correct. as i said last night. not pointing fingers or looking to jump on anyone. it does suck. it sucks more that you pay to have a book " prepped " not cracked and bagged but " prepped."

it also sucks that someone didnt say or someone didnt think " wait you will not even see this in black "

i guess the worst part is that when you are paying 250 to 1000 per sig for a private signing you just expect a little more than you would if it was a $10.00 sig.

We have started to use default full windowed mylite 2s with full backs for books we prep. Just because so many creators have started complaining about window bags.

There are several more besides what has been named that prefer to sign only in certain spots. Rather than have the creator take the book out of the bag we simply present them with the option to sign anywhere.

In addition there have been times when we have had to reprep books people have sent to us because we know that the creator would remove them. So rather than have Claremont, Slott, Stan Lee, or many others remove a customers book on the show floor we reprep them in the office.

As for black on black, it does suck, it has happened to me several times on my own books. Like people above have said sometimes a creator doesnt even look at what they are signing. I have had creators carry on conversations with people next to them all the while never looking down to see what they are signing. It happens and it does suck.

But that is the nature of the game, we are all asking someone to write on our book with a marker. Things will happen that you never expected to have happen. Markers explode, leak, smudge, black on black, silver on white, gold on yellow, you name it ive probably seen it and it has never been on purpose.

If you really want to see someone handle marker colors, you should watch Jwalker1228 during a Stan Lee signing.

He says his heart skips a beat everytime they get ready to change colors. :angel:

Not true, there are many artists/writers that hate window bags and/or have a specific spot they would like to sign. This year alone the following creators have asked or gone ahead and unbagged prepped books because they didnt like the spot that was picked, some even take the book out without asking (CRINGE)

-Chris Claremont (likes to sign on the X-Men Logo)

-Dan Slott (doesnt like window bags)

-Ty Templeton (doesnt like widow bags)

-Neal Adams (wanted to sign a book(s) in a specific location)

-Arthur Suydam (wanted to sign a book(s) in a specific location)

-Jim Starlin (signs in Black only and has a spot that he likes on a cover because of it)

Had no issue with Claremont (non-logo), Dan Slott, Neal Adams, Suydam or

Starlin? I don't recall that any even requested it. Starlin does insist on black.

I imagine it happens to everyone sooner or later. It happened to me this summer. I subbed a raw book and prepped it myself. I figured I had all my bases covered but such was not the case. It came back a 9.8 but the signature is nearly impossible to see as the signer used black on an already dark area. I had assumed that either the facilitator or the signer would recognize that it needed to be anything other than black, but preferably silver so it would show up. I took it as a learning experience and moved on.

Next time I will be more specific.

I can understand if you prepped the book but if the facilitator prepped the book then they should take responsibility for the end product.

I don't understand the comments. I have to think some people are simply doing too many books. Claremont has never asked me to remove a book. I prep most so he can sign over the logo but not all of them. I have only had two people refuse a colour request - Starlin and Ercic Stephenson.

The only issue that has ever been mentioned about Windows is if they are too small. The only complaint about placement was Larry Hama - one time.

If someone is doing the book from beginning to end then these type of errors should rarely occur.

Another option is to write in big letters silver around the painters tape around the window box. At that point you hope the artist has a silver sharpie or the facilitator/witness has one.

Me too. Ask me if they used the sharpie.

Me too. Ask me if they used the sharpie.

Did they use the sharpie? :baiting: