• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIG PLACEMENT

46 posts in this topic

if you send a book to a facilitator and the book is cgc ss. you cant crack the slab he has to. you pay his fee to prep the book. you then get the book back and the sig is black ink on a black spot of the cover and you cant see the new sig. is the facilitator at fault?

how about if you send three books and you pay the fee for the sigs and you have to pay to have them prepped because they are yellow label. then all three books come back black ink on a black spot on the cover and you cant see any of them?

i asked because as you see in many sales threads books are worth a lot less due to sig placement. often times they are listed at price x and then described as selling for less due to sig placement.

how about if you send three books that are yellow label and are signed by creators who are no longer with us. then you get them back and cant see the new sigs that were added because they were signed black on black?

i apologize for my ignorance. i thought that is what the prep fee was for? please keep in mind all three books had plenty of light area where they could have been signed if prepped.

Depends,

1. Did you tell the facilitator that you wanted a different color on the book?

2. Did you send a window bag that was cut out to indicate where you wanted the sig?

3. Did you PM the facilitator asking the above two?

If I want a dog in a certain place I talk with my facilitator send images and set his acknowledgement. I also send an image with the cover pointing where I want each sig at and you can always prep a windowcut bag as well. So far no issues have popped up with a bad signature placement except on my end to where the book went from CGC to a facilitator in a rush. DScott, Celestial Comics, Hank Pym, NYComics, Kaholo, Par2ch, and Rich Henn have all been great to work with and had no problems with cracking and prepping the comic based on the image I showed with the cover sent of where I want the placement.

Most of the facilitators on the baords here have disclaimers for such situations.

They handle 100s to 1,000s of books per convention and it can be quite challenging, I'm certain, to have the talent sign where you want them to at all times.

Stan Lee has become particularly notorious, lately, for signing in tough spots or signing right over other creators signatures. But, allot of our treasured artists and writters are now in thier 80's or 90's like Stan, so sometimes these situations can be difficult to avoid.

You can ask your facilitator to 'window bag' your book if they are doing the prep. They might charge you an additional nominal fee to do this. Even then there are no guarantees in life, when dealing with humans, and pens, and long lines, things will happen.

I believe the situation you've mentioned has happened to all of us at least once at some point when pusuing yellow label books. Ultimatley, I don't think you have much recourse.

If you're truly not happy with the facilitators service, don't feel like they made their best effort, or made the situation right for you... Try another one w/ a strong reputation and see if they offer the option to window bag and/or ensure signature placement.

You can make a window bag even if the book is SS already. Lay the bag on top of the book portion of the slab and figure out where to cut the bag. I do this all the time when I have a book that needs to stay in the slab.

As a facilitator myself I will say that I try to get the color that is requested but it is not something that I guarantee. As far as black in a black area, most of the time we catch it but some do slip through and mistakes happen. I have a cast signed book with black in a dark area and it sucks but oh well.

I second what said Darrell too.

The facilitator can only do so much, but it's up to you, the customer, to make sure that a specific sig placement and color is addressed prior to the signing.

Guessing three of your books were sent in for a signing and they were black on black areas?

both i guess. but like i say its no big deal. i will simply have to sell books that i believe would be worth a grand or so for probably half that if im lucky. sad thing is these are books that would never leave my collection if they had been signed in silver or signed in the light areas with black.

just frustrated i guess because of that reason. they were for my personal collection.

Wes,

If it wasn't a big deal then why starts thread as though it was a big deal?

Sometimes it's better to address these issues via PM with that said facilitator, and judging by what you collect, this probably isn't the first time you've had issues with them.

I will add that, there are some creators that will only sign in black. For example, Jim Startin. He signs where ever he wants. Unless you tell him.

I wouldnt complain about sig placement if I left it up to the facilitator to decide where to sign.

I'd make off color jokes in private to them, but I wouldn't call them out for something that was obviously my own fault.

+1. Do your own window bags or don't complain.

i guess it is a big deal. just nothing to fight over. these days i want to be like chief joseph

it wouldnt be better to address this in private. i mentioned no names. i didnt even say what books because that would have said who it was.

i simply wanted thoughts.

jimmy i havnt said it was my fault.

So if it wasn't better to address it in private, why address it in public?

It's like you want to call the facilitator out indirectly because you don't want to stir up a storm, but, if pushed comes to shove.. BAM!

no its not adonis. i initially nor do i now want to get into any of that mud slinging. i simply wanted opinions.

matter of fact i have declined to give the persons name in pms where i have been asked.

what ever lol

There are also artists that will take out the book from the bag so that they can see what they are signing. Even with window bags artist or writer may ask to take the book out of the bag b/c they don't like the customer's signature placement or the window area is too small. Plus you never know if you give the artist freedom to sign how they want you may get lucky & get a remark sketch.

If you see that a facilitator, who prepped the book, did not put any thought into the sig placement then they did a bad job. Having hundreds or thousands of books is no excuse. This is why books are prepped.