• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But, is it a 9.2 posted by richard8158

3 posts in this topic

I already have the perfect book, just not the perfect grade

I was thumbing through my GIC slabs early this morning, only looking at the ones graded below 9.6. I studied a couple in particular, one a 9.2 and the other a 9.4. I remember when I sent them in, thinking they were flawless. I still do. Are we turning our backs on a great number of beautiful comics in our quest for 9.8s? Has grading gotten more strict over the years? I have a few "old label" CGCs that I don't think would hold up to today's standards. Just my opinion. Collect what you like and don't worry about the grade.

See more journals by richard8158

I already have the perfect book, just not the perfect grade

I was thumbing through my GIC slabs early this morning, only looking at the ones graded below 9.6. I studied a couple in particular, one a 9.2 and the other a 9.4. I remember when I sent them in, thinking they were flawless. I still do. Are we turning our backs on a great number of beautiful comics in our quest for 9.8s? Has grading gotten more strict over the years? I have a few "old label" CGCs that I don't think would hold up to today's standards. Just my opinion. Collect what you like and don't worry about the grade.

See more journals by richard8158

Yes - the quest for 9.8s is silly and well into the realm of diminishing returns. 2c

I think it depends on which era your talking about. I'm fine having pretty much any Silver Age X-Men book that is needed in my collection signed and graded as long as it presents well (despite whatever wear it may have). For example, I have a 4.5 copy of #22 that, even though I think it got totally jobbed on the grade, still looks phenomenal imho.

But if we're talking about modern books, most issues aren't even worth the grading fee if you're not chasing a 9.8. And for me, despite the potential to be disappointed, I still find it a whole lot of fun digging through the back issue boxes to try and find copies that I think are potential 9.8s.

Ultimately though, I think "Collect what you like and don't worry about the grade" is the best advice you can give anyone.