• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 40 page on Ebay

50 posts in this topic

Price seems high for 2015 to me too. In the future maybe not. Curious to see what spidey 39 pAges close at in november heritage. Everything is relatives to the hierarchy

Every price is right....if you go far enough into the future.

Price seems high for 2015 to me too. In the future maybe not. Curious to see what spidey 39 pAges close at in november heritage. Everything is relatives to the hierarchy

Every price is right....if you go far enough into the future.

How far in the future?

Considering you can get an actual inked published double splash page of Romita for $8500 that price is way out of whack. I say it's worth maybe $1,000. Maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-John-Romita-sr-Marvel-Spider-man-Family-Peter-Parker-Gwen-Mary-Jane-/351567517845?hash=item51db0e9895:g:uLQAAOSwEeFU~Hjb

What am I missing-what is lame about a fully finished published double splash by Romita?

What is so significant about that rough sketch page? Because its the oldest known example? Arent there actual pages from ASM 40 in existence?

I'm not getting this.....

Well I thought it was a lame shot. A family portrait piece is just not that sexy. Ok neither is a prelim but that doesn't really make them directly comparable (shrug)

Don't get me wrong I think you are right in saying the price is too high

I'd rather have a double portrait than an entire book of prelims. Prelims don't do much for me.

If that prelim sells for more than $1000 I will be shocked. Most likely it will just sit there for years and years.

In fairness, the seller admits that pricing this piece is difficult. I think he does a good job of justifying the price :

"Assigning a value to an item like this is very difficult. Original published pages from later in Romita's run sell routinely for tens of thousands, and I know that 9.8 condition copies of the Amazing Spider-man 40 published comic book have sold for as much as $30,000. A published art page from issue 39, penciled by Romita and inked by Esposito, is coming up at a major auction in November, and carries a pre-auction estimate of $150,000+ "

Anyone know what the highest selling prelim page is? That would give us more data to work with. Historically collectors haven't shown much interest in prelims.

Anyone know what the highest selling prelim page is? That would give us more data to work with. Historically collectors haven't shown much interest in prelims.

True. To date the market has not treated preliminary pages kindly.

I think in part this is because preliminaries are not published pages and therefore harder to authenticate.

I like this page though because I think it is from a significant book by a significant artist.

It may take some time for the market to fully recognize the piece as historic though. And the upcoming HA auctions for the ASM 39 pages will need to show significant price appreciation and consumer demand before this preliminary gets the attention I think the piece may deserve.