• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 40 page on Ebay

50 posts in this topic

Well I learned something in this thread-I never realized prelims could be so valuable.

Small painted prelims by Frank Frazetta are prized and fetch good money.

I have the Marshall Rogers painted cover prelim for Harlan Ellison's 1980s graphic novel adaptation of his award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand. Quite detailed and polished. Harlan reportedly owns the finished cover, so it's the next best thing for me. Paid $600 for it, earlier this year, and it's something I treasure (I'm a big fan of the OL episode).

That was one of Harlan's best works, and he would probably like it pointed out that it was also the inspiration for the "Terminator" franchise.

Terminator was 'inspired' (to put it diplomatically) by a combination of Ellison's two OL teleplays, the other being 'Soldier'.

You're right. The Soldier featured Charles Bronson, as I recall

:gossip: Michael Ansara.

Right you are. I recalled wrong.

Bronson played a soldier in a Twilight Zone

What about that episode where a terminator landed on the wing of a plane and only Captain Kirk could see it?

What about that episode where a terminator landed on the wing of a plane and only Captain Kirk could see it?

It was a mischievous gremlin!

'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet'.

Incidentally, I visited California from the UK a few months ago. During the Los Angeles leg of my trip, I got to visit several locations used for the filming of certain Outer Limits episodes. Most notably the Bradbury Building (Demon With a Glass Hand) and Vasquez Rocks (The Zanti Misfits).

A selection of photographs from both locations are on view in my CAF (the Demon With a Glass Hand and Outer Limits galleries), for anyone interested in taking a look.

Here's a photo of a Zanti Misfit (courtesy of Sideshow Collectibles) I posed at Vasquez . . .

a30.jpg

I never understood why they were so terrified of those Zanti dimwits-I would have just stepped on em....

I never understood why they were so terrified of those Zanti dimwits-I would have just stepped on em....

Lot of goofy moments in Outer Limits, much of them due to the low, low budget and the mandate to have some scary monster in each episode. But they still managed to pull of some very good episodes. Better than most people assume because it's been largely forgotten, compared to the Zone

Well I learned something in this thread-I never realized prelims could be so valuable.

Small painted prelims by Frank Frazetta are prized and fetch good money.

I have the Marshall Rogers painted cover prelim for Harlan Ellison's 1980s graphic novel adaptation of his award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand. Quite detailed and polished. Harlan reportedly owns the finished cover, so it's the next best thing for me. Paid $600 for it, earlier this year, and it's something I treasure (I'm a big fan of the OL episode).

It's an area that I have generally found unappreciated, especially when compared to the prices paid for published copies of the comic. Not to mention that people in the fine art world pay big figures for prelims or "studies" or alternate versions of famous paintings, if they were done in the same period (or sometimes even if they weren't).

Sometimes I see a prelim that I think is more attractive than the final. Saw one like that, a 50s horror cover prelim that I thought I would snap up cheap but the bids went several times over what I wanted to pay. I thought the color prelim was a more evocative image than the final, and I guess other people agreed with me.

I also like things that are historic, especially if the reason it's historic is easily explained to a civilian. Sometimes parts of the art are unfinished but that's also a peek into the process which I like Same with unused pages or covers, or pages cut from continuity.

And let's face it most comic art pieces are technically unfinished because they don't have the color (which also makes them a piece of the total process). And I say part-of-the-process as a good thing, IMV, As such, Comic OA is often, messy looking. Stains, tape, white-out, paste-ups, etc. But lots of don't mind that, or even like it a bit, as it conjures images of the process, primitive and quick but bursting with creativity and a cultural significance that even the creators didn't realize at the time, If we didn't all like that stuff as a part of collecting, then we'd only be wanting clean, full color renderings.

That appeal is not limited to comics. Some buyers of original manuscripts and music don't like the true originals as much as they do a later, final draft that looks more clean. But to others (myself included) it's actually more interesting to see the changes, the scratch-outs, the deletions, the alternate version, etc. and to picture the artist in the throes of creativity.