• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing by Tnerb

4 posts in this topic

Before the procedure expanded?

When I first found out about this non-restorative technique, I asked a great many questions. Some people were secretive and some were happy to answer questions, while a few more answered anonymously. I sent some books away for the process and asked about others. One book I asked about was X-Men 142...or rather Uncanny X-Men 142.

I started collecting back issues tentatively. I felt that I'd rather buy new releases first at sixty cents and sixty-five rather than spend a dollar, two or ten on a book that's been out for years. The Frank Miller Daredevil run helped end that. As each issue I purchased began at three dollars and ended at thirty five, I decided to chance getting a few X-Men issues. Issue 142 was a quick favorite.

During my earlier CGC formative years, I used issue 142 as a given. Like in any scientific experiment I needed a given. I sent in a few books from my own collection to get a view on what CGC grades, or rather how they graded. I sent in 5.5's, 7.0's and 8.0's, but in this case I sent in a 9.2. But could it become better? Could it improve with a new press? I asked what I thought at that time was the authority figure on the subject, Matt Nelson. He said no. Eventually I proved him wrong.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

17023.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

From your post, I'm guessing the X142 improved considerably.

For the record, I'm against pressing but I realize that at this point it's a part of this hobby and here to stay and yes, I've done it myself for aesthetics but realizing that it could improve the overall grade as well. As for those examples... I fully intend on hanging onto those books.

Congrats on the upgrade. What did that 9.2 turn out to be?

Don't leave us hanging Tnerb, what grade did it get? I'm guessing 9.4 although a 9.6 would be very nice. I like pressing...the only thing that keeps me from pressing a book every time is not wanting to spend the money and that depends on the book. If it's a book I really want to retain or improve I will go for it...if it's one that I can live with a drop if it happens then I keep my money.