• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing the Subject by Tnerb

4 posts in this topic

From a 9.2 to a ...

After cracking my 9.2, I was introduced to someone who was happy to not only answer my questions, but show me how it was done. He showed me on a few comic books and then let me have a try. I did a few of my own I brought with me that were not for grading before I tackled my Uncanny X-Men 142.

It was an interesting time, giving me multiple learning experiences and answering question after question that I had. I was happy with the press and it was one of the books I had given over to a facilitator to add a few signatures to the cover. Those signatures were Terry Austin, Jim Shooter, and Chris Claremont.

I sent this in with a cracked 141 that was a 9.6 and a 140 from an auction win. My original 141 is considerably lower than this cracked one. The 140 wasn't mine.

When I received all three books I was overjoyed that my 142 had increased with the press. It went from 9.2 all the way up to 9.6, with three signatures! It quickly became a CGC graded issue I will never part with.

Now, if a 9.2 went to a 9.6 WITHOUT a press, I'd be seriously questioning why? Pressing, if done right can improve the condition of a book, but it can drastically hurt it just as easily if you don't know what constitutes a "press-able" book.

My question is, if pressing became a restorative technique, and magically changed overnight, how many comic books in a 9.8 would suddenly be labeled with a purple label?

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

17025.png

See more journals by Tnerb

It's an interesting question to pose, but I can't see CGC ever flipping the switch to suddenly consider pressing as restoration for two reasons:

1. Pressing hasn't been considered restoration for so long that it would be a pretty move.

2. Money. Had this been a topic of consideration, I don't think they would have ever bought CCS only to subsequently make a grading procedure change that would cost CCS something like 3/4 of its business.