• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your best or recent graded return from CGC

34 posts in this topic

I just got back 7 books from CGC.

I think I am a fairly good grader. I was expecting 9.4 or better on everything and that is what I got. They were all from the 80s. There were no unread moderns. They were all submitted unpressed.

I got four 9.6s and three 9.4s.

I was hoping for a max of two 9.4s, at least one 9.8, and min grade of 9.6 on two particular comics but one of them was a 9.4.

I was curious to see know how well others did with their expected and delivered grades from CGC. Should I have pressed my comics beforehand? It doesn't seem that I was far off. For a couple of 9.4s the grader's notes mentioned a crease and spine stress marks. Would that have gone away on a press?

When I looked the books over I couldn't see any real blemishes taking anything down from a 9.6 on the front/back covers. Nothing inside the books were mentioned in the grader's notes and the pages came back white as I expected.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

I pulled one of my "nice" copies of Infinity Gauntlet #1 to get George Perez signature last year. I never did a close inspection/grade of that book because it was pretty common and I had three copies of it.

I called it basically a NM.

It came back 9.8 SS.

If I had known it was 9.8 I might not have had him sign it! :grin:

My last submission, 11 books, I expected 5 or 6 9.8s, and nothing under 9.0.

I got three 9.8s, and several below 9.0 - one copy of Runaways #1 that had some spine issues got an 8.0, with a note of "staining" on the back cover. After rigorously inspection it, there might be some ink transfer from when the books were originally shipped, dark front cover on a white back cover, but it's still hard for me to tell. The CGC slammed that book.

I had three really nice copies of the Southern Bastards #1 Heroes exclusive that I figured would see 9.8, 9.8, and 9.6 - got 9.6, 9.6, and 9.4. Seems the CGC has tightened up once again.

:(

-slym

My last batch, although now about 6 months ago, was a bit disappointing for me. Many books that I thought had a good shot at 9.8 came back as 9.6s and 9.4s

Several were 9.0 and one 8.5. Would agree that the grading is almost overly tight at the moment.

Biggest disappointment on a submission was an X-Men 94 that I was certain was 8.0+ but came back at 6.5. I still don't know why & the graders notes didn't help either.

Other big disappointment was an NYX 3 that was so close to perfect that I felt certain it would be a 9.8 or better. It came back at 9.6. And it was significantly better than the 9.6 that I already had at the time. Still a little bummed about that one.

But in the same submission, I got a few books that came back 9.8 that I was crossing my fingers to just get a 9.6 on & a few that I was spot-on with the grading. So maybe I miss things sometimes.

They were all submitted unpressed.

I was hoping for a max of two 9.4s, at least one 9.8, and min grade of 9.6 on two particular comics but one of them was a 9.4.

Should I have pressed my comics beforehand? It doesn't seem that I was far off. For a couple of 9.4s the grader's notes mentioned a crease and spine stress marks. Would that have gone away on a press?

When I looked the books over I couldn't see any real blemishes taking anything down from a 9.6 on the front/back covers. Nothing inside the books were mentioned in the grader's notes and the pages came back white as I expected.

Certain defects can be corrected/reduced with a press:

(from the CCS site)

Dents

Bends

Folds

Light creases

Minor spine stresses

Impacted corners or edges

Slight warping

Ripples (with no stains present)

Spine rolls

Waviness

Stacking bends

Light cover impressions

Light pencil marks (usually in white areas)

Dirt

If the minor creases/stresses you mentioned break colour, then a press would not help

BTW, it doesn't sound like you were too far off in your grading

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like my submission is much like the results of others.

I know there isn't any colour-breaking defects on my books or I wouldn't have either bothered submitting. If I detected a crease, I would have held back also. I need to have a close look at the slabs when they come back. For one book, I may do a re-submit after a press.

It seems I need to grade my books even harsher before submitting again.

This is the thread where we only talk about the good subs, right? ;)

Not sure if it is the best, but the one that immediately comes to mind.

7/8 9.8s; other was a 9.6. Copper/Modern sub.

1 Harbinger #1 was a 9.8, the other was the 9.6, so I didn't feel too bad.

This was earlier this year, maybe around summer? I just put in a sub last month so we'll see how those turn out.

My 1st submission was 5 issues of the Walking Dead NYCC 10th anniversary addition for SS. All came back as 9.8. I have 20 books in for submission now. I highly doubt (in fact I am sure), they are not all 9.8, but I am hoping for at least 1/3rd to be 9.6 or higher.

Best return? Probably an Amazing Spiderman #14, which I purchased as a graded 9.0 in an old label slab. To me, it looked like a 9.2 book so I resubmitted it, no manipulation (not a fan of the practice). Came back a 9.4.

I think I am a fairly good grader. I was expecting 9.4 or better on everything and that is what I got. They were all from the 80s. There were no unread moderns. They were all submitted unpressed.

I was curious to see know how well others did with their expected and delivered grades from CGC. Should I have pressed my comics beforehand? It doesn't seem that I was far off. For a couple of 9.4s the grader's notes mentioned a crease and spine stress marks. Would that have gone away on a press?

Grade under magnification. A magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe will do. You don't need a microscope :insane:

Also look in the light and see how it reflects off the cover, rotate the comic a little bit and see what non breaking creases/marks show up. It's amazing what a good strong overhead light will pick up.

Also look in the light and see how it reflects off the cover, rotate the comic a little bit and see what non breaking creases/marks show up. It's amazing what a good strong overhead light will pick up.

I get both magnification and light to see non-color breaking defects with this:

158856.jpg.8d4fb6116850586902a88143a4e6d61f.jpg

My last batch, although now about 6 months ago, was a bit disappointing for me. Many books that I thought had a good shot at 9.8 came back as 9.6s and 9.4s

Several were 9.0 and one 8.5. Would agree that the grading is almost overly tight at the moment.

I've had both, an unexpected higher grade and an unexpected disappointment grade as I assume everyone has.

Trying to figure out this timing for submissions is scary indeed! :fear: