• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do comics ever go down in price?

271 posts in this topic

[lol SOP for you, eh Jim? Since we're not really talking about publishing facts now, I should point out that your standard tactic of engaging in petty insults whenever someone disagrees with you speaks to YOUR overinflated ego. .

I presented you with publishing facts...all you can counter with is "find these other facts for me"...SOP as usual for you when you're faced with being wrong... insane.gif

But again, nice facts to back up your points yet again...you really make it too easy sometimes... 27_laughing.gif

Unlike you...I can admit to being wrong and have done it many many times on this Forum. To include paying off a bet. Can you say the same thing? All I've seen recently is hypocrisy coming from your end. Seems to me you're the one who needs to look in the mirror...or I fear you'll have everyone on ignore or them you...

Think of this as an intervention...

Jim

Actually, if you go back and look, you'll see that this initially started out as me trying to have a civilized discussion with you about a supposed "continuing decline" in publishing numbers. It sounded like you had some information that I didn't know how to find, so I asked you if you had it to please post it. I wasn't looking to be "right," I was asking you to show me information that you appeared to have that would be contrary to what I believed to be true based on Marvel's publishing financial numbers over the last few years. In response, you posted information that was eight years old. I simply pointed out (with no insults or snide remarks to you) that comparing current publishing numbers to eight-year-old information does not prove that the market continues to be in a year-over-year decline, especially when Marvel has been reporting increases (in some cases, double-digit increases) in revenues and profitability from year to year since at least 2002. I also asked if you had anything more recent because I don't know where to find that data. You then flew into a tizzy, started acting like an immature jerk and making snide comments and insults toward not only me but also to Aman, and now that's suddenly my fault and I need an intervention. Riiiiiiiiight.

You are giving yourself way too much credit here. But since it's futile to have any kind of a discussion with you without it turning into a pizzing match, I won't even try anymore. screwy.gif

Good lord, you two go down this road EVERY time you talk.

"Think of this as an intervention..." sleeping.gif

End the mind [#@$%!!!] with bono. Answer his PMs! makepoint.gif

[lol SOP for you, eh Jim? Since we're not really talking about publishing facts now, I should point out that your standard tactic of engaging in petty insults whenever someone disagrees with you speaks to YOUR overinflated ego. .

I presented you with publishing facts...all you can counter with is "find these other facts for me"...SOP as usual for you when you're faced with being wrong... insane.gif

But again, nice facts to back up your points yet again...you really make it too easy sometimes... 27_laughing.gif

Unlike you...I can admit to being wrong and have done it many many times on this Forum. To include paying off a bet. Can you say the same thing? All I've seen recently is hypocrisy coming from your end. Seems to me you're the one who needs to look in the mirror...or I fear you'll have everyone on ignore or them you...

Jim

Actually, if you go back and look, you'll see that this initially started out as me trying to have a civilized discussion with you about a supposed "continuing decline" in publishing numbers. It sounded like you had some information that I didn't know how to find, so I asked you if you had it to please post it. I wasn't looking to be "right," I was asking you to show me information that you appeared to have that would be contrary to what I believed to be true based on Marvel's publishing financial numbers over the last few years. In response, you posted information that was eight years old. I simply pointed out (with no insults or snide remarks to you) that comparing current publishing numbers to eight-year-old information does not prove that the market continues to be in a year-over-year decline, especially when Marvel has been reporting increases (in some cases, double-digit increases) in revenues and profitability from year to year since at least 2002. I also asked if you had anything more recent because I don't know where to find that data. You then flew into a tizzy, started acting like an immature jerk and making snide comments and insults toward not only me but also to Aman, and now that's suddenly my fault and I need an intervention. Riiiiiiiiight.

You are giving yourself way too much credit here. But since it's futile to have any kind of a discussion with you without it turning into a pizzing match, I won't even try anymore. screwy.gif

You don't get to lecture me while you're ignoring my PMs, dork! Christo_pull_hair.gifscrewy.gif

Jim

893blahblah.gif

Jim

893blahblah.gif

sumo.gif

Jim

893blahblah.gif

sumo.gif

Cave%20troll%202.jpg

(Please note short-shorts. Thx.™)

how about that car you could have bought... what will you get back on that after five years? NO WAY will you get back half of what you spent.

Nothing against you personally, asmfan, but I really dislike comparisons like this. I own a car. I own a lot of comics. A lot of my comics have appreciated in value. My car has depreciated in value. But, I also get a LOT of use out of my car. It adds a LOT of value to my life - I have an awesome job that I wouldn't be able to get to without it and it also gives me the option to go to places I otherwise wouldn't have gone (such as my planned trip to the Frazetta Museum this summer).

I love comics, but should I, for example, really go out and buy a Hulk #181 CGC 9.6 instead of taking a fun vacation on a beach somewhere? Once it's over, the price of the vacation goes to zero, while presumably the Hulk #181 won't have changed much in value. However, when I'm on my deathbed, I'm thinking I'll probably be reminiscing fondly about the hot babe I hooked up with on that vacation and not about how great it was to own that Hulk #181. And you can't put a price on that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I want to hear more about this.

how about that car you could have bought... what will you get back on that after five years? NO WAY will you get back half of what you spent.

Nothing against you personally, asmfan, but I really dislike comparisons like this. I own a car. I own a lot of comics. A lot of my comics have appreciated in value. My car has depreciated in value. But, I also get a LOT of use out of my car. It adds a LOT of value to my life - I have an awesome job that I wouldn't be able to get to without it and it also gives me the option to go to places I otherwise wouldn't have gone (such as my planned trip to the Frazetta Museum this summer).

I love comics, but should I, for example, really go out and buy a Hulk #181 CGC 9.6 instead of taking a fun vacation on a beach somewhere? Once it's over, the price of the vacation goes to zero, while presumably the Hulk #181 won't have changed much in value. However, when I'm on my deathbed, I'm thinking I'll probably be reminiscing fondly about the hot babe I hooked up with on that vacation and not about how great it was to own that Hulk #181. And you can't put a price on that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

+1

Blonde or brunette?

Joking aside. That's how everyone should prioritize things in life especially that we are into this very addicting hobby.

Just want to know why you can quote demographics as a reason for the coming bust in prices, yet when shown numbers showing that there is a coming huge generation of people that will begin entering their peak buying years in 2014, you dismiss it?

First, it's a huge generation of people who haven't grown up with comics and second, as I did address earlier, they're not going to be nearly as well off as you were at that age if I'm even remotely correct about the direction I see the markets and the global economy going in the next 10 years.

Let's talk in 2014 and we'll see who's right. Loser buys dinner.

So, who got the free dinner?

Aren't home prices parabolic if you look at a chart of the last 40 years? Are housing prices due to crash dramatically?

Ah but there I go comparing a necessity with a luxury item. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What about stock prices and corporate earnings and, for that matter, personal incomes? Aren't they parabolic if you look over the last 40 years? In fact, aren't most price series parabolic if you look at the long-term picture?

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but it seems to me that any price series can look parabolic over a long time period (partially due to inflation). And the more incomes rise, the higher prices rise for goods (including comics). In the case of comics, as long as there is a strong demand (with fluctuation), prices will escalate due to a relatively small fixed supply. IMO.

I'm interested in hearing your comments.

(Insert humourous comment here) :shy: