• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Age Gold? by Tnerb

2 posts in this topic

When will 9.8's become too plentiful?

It's amazing how much CGC has changed the modern age market, not to mention speculation. I purchased a collection a few years ago and made my money back. A few comics I kept while others I sold. One being the first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon. But let's get to the books that just came out a month ago.

With CGC being around for over 15 years and people sending in new comic books right away and flipping them, I wonder if this will destroy the future of finding raw books. I was fortunate in that I found an Avengers 98 through Greg Reece. It was a beautiful raw book that I thought I would be lucky to get 9.4...with a press. It returned a 9.8. The feeling I had when this returned as the grade all collectors strive for was phenomenal. My Wonder Woman 199 hit a 9.4, also with a press.

But what's going to happen fifteen years from now when all these graded comics flood the market. It reminds me of the market reports that would recommend silver age. I can vaguely remember in Overstreet's monthly magazine, an article talking about Iron Man 55 and now you have comics like Star Wars issue 10 already on EBay. This book was recently released and yet my comics for Baltimore are still sitting at received. But that's another story.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

17033.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

Yes the turnaround times, which still have me waiting on my books from London, are another story for sure.

Anyway, I don't think the future of finding raw books is in any imminent danger. Obviously every speculator and seller out there is going to be flooding the market with graded copies of the #1s and keys of whatever the series du jour is, but those same folks won't be spending a whole lot of their money on getting the rest of said series du jour graded en masse.

Say I wanted to collect the final Wolverine series, rather than spit on it and toss it in my fire pit. I'd have no shortage of purchasing choices for the tragicomic "death" four parter, but the other 12 or however many issues are not seen for sale in 9.8 nearly as often. Hence, the quest would be on to find some raw 9.8s at C2E2 or whatever show I end up attending next.

I'd also pose this question -- do you think speculation has gotten worse since CGC first started out? I still remember 2001's Origin craze and found it pretty comparable to what we see today.