• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

By the Guide by Tnerb

4 posts in this topic

But, Which one?

Years ago, decades by now, I had just started to collect comic books. Not just buy them, but surround myself with them. I bought both Marvel and DC, but it was the company born from a "Timely" manner that captured my imagination. After each comic book that I read and closed, the story continued in my mind's eye. My father must have seen something in my desire to spend my weekly allowance

My father has always worked for himself. Even when my father was 13 and my grandfather purchased a gas station and tossed the keys to my father one morning with the words, "Here kid, I'll see you tonight."

There were two choices he was after, one was a comic book shop while the other was a gift shop. In preparation my father received a package from a distributor and a comic book price guide published by Robert Overstreet. I looked over and over the pamphlets and the guide. It was the guide that helped me pretend what my collection was worth, even though I didn't have many within its pages.

I now use the guide with knowledge rather than imagination. Even though CGC books are pricier than their raw counterparts, it is the raw books I search for to turn over to get graded, although if I find a good deal I will definitely buy a graded copy. I just wish Overstreet would consider coming out with a 1st edition price guide of grading comic books.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

17035.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

I think that's the role of GPA and kind of doubt Overstreet will ever do it, but you never know? Of course, if they printed that book, how quickly would the data be out of date? I see some books stay roughly the same price for years, but others climb and dive quickly.

Speaking of GPA, I have found that there are some auction sites they do not record sales figures for, which led me to wonder why? (Anyone know the answer to this?)

As well, when getting into conversations surrounding GPA data, I find many people do not consider all of the costs surrounding a books sales price. Bidder / buyer fees, sales tax and shipping to name a few. I know we're all out to find a great deal on a book, but I'm often amazed how tightly some buyers hold to GPA prices. If it's me, it's a no brainer that a book I've spent years searching for will be purchased, regardless of a $10-$25 difference in price.

And as an example: GPA recorded a purchase of mine at $1500, when in reality I spent over $1700 on the book after fees, sales tax and shipping.

Anyway, curious what others think....?

Speaking of GPA, I have found that there are some auction sites they do not record sales figures for, which led me to wonder why? (Anyone know the answer to this?)

Just as GPA doesn't want to give away the information it gathers, some vendors/auction houses do not want to give away the information they generate.

I'm with you, I love my graded books, but I tend to hunt for raw copies out in the wild that I can get graded. It's cheaper obviously, it's funner to track them down, make my best guess on grade, press it, send it in for grading, and anticipate the results. Did I get a good deal or a bad deal? I won't know until I get the books back, and that's what makes it fun.